mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Gravelly Range Montana

Has anyone ever ridden the gravelly range in SW montana. I am thinking specifically of the trails in the wall cr. area. I'll be up there this summer for some camping along the madison and I am wondering about riding posibilities as it looks like there are a lot of trails there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trucha View Post
    Has anyone ever ridden the gravelly range in SW montana. I am thinking specifically of the trails in the wall cr. area. I'll be up there this summer for some camping along the madison and I am wondering about riding posibilities as it looks like there are a lot of trails there
    I've camped and ridden a few times up there. Not sure of the trail names but they were between Black Butte (at the top of the ridge) and the Lyon's Bridge fishin access (foot of the mtn).

I've since shyed away from the area because so many grizzly encounters have occurred there over the past few years. But the riding is good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Have not ridden at Wall Creek. Super interested in exploring it and Horse Creek to the immediate south. Trying to make time for two years to go there. Wall Creek tops out in high meadows above timberline. Take bear spray for that particular area!
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have done some riding there and must say for lack of use the trails are pretty solid fun and put some nice adventure into the mix. Most of my time has been concentrated out of the Wolverine Basin, Freeze Out Mountain and Lobo Mesa area to the South of Wall Cr. Been a few years since I was down that way so not sure how it has changed. Lots of animals in there for sure. In one evening I watched 6 different bears pass through a lower meadow...one group being a sow griz and 3 cubs. Beautiful country in Gravellys.