hispanic mechanic

Gravel roads around Boise?

Hey everybody, As the FNG around here, I'm hoping to impose on some local knowledge.
    In addition to mountain biking and CX, I also enjoy a good gravel road ride on my 'cross bike. In fact, I am racing both the Oregon Stampede (127 miles,) and the Bear Lake Monster Cross (100ish miles,) this summer. To prepare, and because a lot of the trails are muddy right now, I'd like to get some gravel road riding in. I've ridden Eagle/Willow Creek/Pearl a couple of times, and think it's awesome out there, but I'm interested in some other routes. Specifically anything a bit flatter for my recovery days and longer routes for, well, longer rides...
    Thanks, and if anyone might be interested in some group gravel rides let me know!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    have you tried pleasant valley road south of Boise? If I'm not mistaken it takes you out to Grand View. Not sure if you are actually able to take it due to the military training center out there.
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by mzinn23 View Post
    have you tried pleasant valley road south of Boise? If I'm not mistaken it takes you out to Grand View. Not sure if you are actually able to take it due to the military training center out there.
    Thanks, I'll check that out!

Los
    Jens Voight

jalepenio jimenez
    East of Boise, foothill road, accessed from Blacks creek out the freeway towards Mtn.Home. miles and miles of gravel after the pavement ends (at the junction to Praire and S. fork of the boise river)-probably 5-6 miles from freeway
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

hispanic mechanic

Cool! Thanks!

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    If you go south of Kuna on Swan Falls road, there are lots of 4wd dirt roads all over the place. You could start at Initial Point. I've been out there on my mountain bike but get bored quickly on flat dirt roads. I usually just ride road if I'm going for flat.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

hispanic mechanic

Yeah, I know diet roads aren't everyone's cuppa, but I'll be racing a few gravel grinders this year. Dirt roads would be boring on a mountain bike, but fun on a SSCX.

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    the riding along the N Fork of the Boise after the pavement ends at Arrowrock dam would be pretty scenic. I would avoid the weekend boaters if you're gonna ride the road to the dam from Boise.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    trails.Idaho.gov

In addition to the Arrow Rock ride, Shafer to Horseshoe Bend, Old Hay 95 to Pearl and back...if the old Pearl rode is still open.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhine View Post
    the riding along the N Fork of the Boise after the pavement ends at Arrowrock dam would be pretty scenic. I would avoid the weekend boaters if you're gonna ride the road to the dam from Boise.
    I'd love to ride that from town, not sure how safe the shoulder of 21 is, though. Might be worth driving down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher View Post
    trails.Idaho.gov

In addition to the Arrow Rock ride, Shafer to Horseshoe Bend, Old Hay 95 to Pearl and back...if the old Pearl rode is still open.
    Thanks for the site tip! I've ridden Eagle Road to Pearl, not sure if that's 95. Looking for the route from Shafer to Horseshoe Bend.

Thanks for the continued suggestions!

Los
    Jens Voight

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    21 is fine to ride on. I never had a problem with riding on it. Another good ride is Rocky Canyon up and over into Robie Creek and onto 21 and back.

You can also ride dirt roads from Boise to Sun Valley.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Have you done the boise - sun valley ride? If so what route and what was the washboard like?

mtbr member

Boise to idaho City on Dirt Roads

The 16th Annual Boise to Idaho City Mt Bike Tour is scheduled for
    June 15-16, 2013
    Special plans for this year include possible Pre-ride dinner special and Warm Springs Resort soak. I'll start a new thread in a few weeks when we have details. Untill then check out:
    Mountain Bike Idaho

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    East of Boise, foothill road, accessed from Blacks creek out the freeway towards Mtn.Home. miles and miles of gravel after the pavement ends (at the junction to Praire and S. fork of the boise river)-probably 5-6 miles from freeway
    And if you end up at Prairie, that gives you all the dirt road up to the start of S Fork at Anderson Ranch dam, and the dirt road up to the end of the lake, and back around to Prairie, basically circling House Mountain. That's a long ass drive in a car, would definitely give you a workout on the bike. A lot of flat, uphill and downhill involved though.
    Small tip if you decide to ride S Fork and Anderson, do NOT do it at the start of bear or deer season. People get retarded on those roads trying to get to their spot, doing 30+mph, on a 1 lane gravel road with many blind corners that lead to 30+ft drops into the lake.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.