Riding

Good trails in the Livingston area (Absarokas/Beartooth/gallatian NF)

This upcoming summer I will be doing an internship in Livingston. I was wondering if there are any trail maps that I would be able to buy once I get into the area? Any locals have recommendations for rides?

Riding
    Anyone willing to give me a little help?

jones'in
    Hey there,
    There's plenty of riding over closer to Bozeman. I'm sure that you'll find a lot of trails in the Livingston area too, though. Most of the people on this board who are very close to Livingston are in Bozeman. Also, you might check out the book "Montana Singletrack", which details rides all over the state. Post here again when you get into town and I'll gladly show you around the Bozeman area trails....

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    Hey there,
    There's plenty of riding over closer to Bozeman. I'm sure that you'll find a lot of trails in the Livingston area too, though. Most of the people on this board who are very close to Livingston are in Bozeman. Also, you might check out the book "Montana Singletrack", which details rides all over the state. Post here again when you get into town and I'll gladly show you around the Bozeman area trails....

--Ben
    Thanks for the help. Just curious if this is the book written by Will Robertson? http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Single...8724187&sr=1-1

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzformer
    Thanks for the help. Just curious if this is the book written by Will Robertson? http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Single...8724187&sr=1-1
    Yep, that's the one. I just got this book for Christmas this year. I've been eyeballing it since it came out earlier this year, though. I've done many of the rides in the book. I've been using a copy of 'Fat Trax - Bozeman' for years....I think it's out of print now. This seems to be the next best thing.

There are 6 rides around Bozeman in the book, and 3 rides near Red Lodge (SE of Livingston). Needless to say, there are a ton of trails and rides around the Bozeman area that didn't make it into the book. As I mentioned before, if you're looking for additional rides....just post up here and let us know how much time you've got and when you wanna ride.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    Yep, that's the one. I just got this book for Christmas this year. I've been eyeballing it since it came out earlier this year, though. I've done many of the rides in the book. I've been using a copy of 'Fat Trax - Bozeman' for years....I think it's out of print now. This seems to be the next best thing.

There are 6 rides around Bozeman in the book, and 3 rides near Red Lodge (SE of Livingston). Needless to say, there are a ton of trails and rides around the Bozeman area that didn't make it into the book. As I mentioned before, if you're looking for additional rides....just post up here and let us know how much time you've got and when you wanna ride.

--Ben
    Sweet, sounds like a plan.

mtbr member
    I think you'll be spending a lot of time riding near Bozeman. The Absarokas near Livingston are mostly Wilderness and are off limits to bikes except for some short sections on the edge of the forest.

On the other side of the valley, in the Gallatins, there are some good rides, particularly south near the park around Tom Miner Basin. Problem with that is that the area is crawling with Grizzley bears. Especially around hunting season I would be pretty scared to ride there (lots of carcasses attract the bears). West Pine Creek (near Trail Creek Road) is a good ride though and so is Chestnut Mountain. My favorite way to ride Chestnut was to leave a car in Bear Canyon (Bozeman) and shuttle for a long descent. Now the Bear Canyon trail is closed to bikes for the time being....

BMX:Our Shining Future

Some Singletrack Suggestions

Northwest of Livingston is the Bangtails, there in the Gallatin National Forest with highly regarded mountain biking, South of Livingston is the paradise valley with at least twenty forest service trails worth riding as well as amazing scenery, and then northeast of town is the Crazy mountains, "The Himalayas Of Montana". A lot of the accesses in these places will be found in the Gallatin National Forest map. For other types of riding such as BLM, state lands, dirt and gravel roads, of which Park county has a plethora, I like the Montana Atlas And Gazetteer.

Hope you have a nice time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There is a lot of crazy riding here, if we can just keep it open. Come on over and have fun.

www.montanamountainbikealliance.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Like someone already mentioned...there is good riding in the Crazy Mountains. A few trails with steep and rocky decents that are sure to get your heart racing.