mtbr member
    May 2004

Good ride today in the Owhyees

Chris, Nels and I met at the Park N Ride on 15th and Bannock at 8am, but I wasn't tired even with the time change loss of sleep since I have been studying and just went to bed relatively early anyway-not that that's good or bad..

Anyway, we went out there and did a full loop and a little extra. The trails were in good condition and we all had a great ride. There were a lot of wild horses around today,
    and we even scared a good sized group of deer as we were coming down Bingo. Then chatted for a bit with horserider Tom (who's attended some SWIMA meetings) before continuing down.

Good riding up and down, all satisfied!

None of us had our cameras and no pics were taken but where were you guys???!!!

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I'm not a fan of early mornings, or wet sandy trails. I had a nice road ride though.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Eric,

Yeah changing what I'm saying here because I think tacky is the right word for the trails over there today. What route and how many miles did you do on the road?
    Also, what kind of road bike do you have?

I think I'm getting ready to hear a 1970 Colnogo steel with downtube shifters
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 04-02-2006 at 05:04 PM.

26er

just right

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I'm not a fan of early mornings, or wet sandy trails. I had a nice road ride though.
    the trails were actually drier than last sunday, they were not wet or sandy. Nice and tacky and it made the shoot down into the canyon easy to ride.

We go carried away with a little rock work down in reynolds too...

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

the new Gilbert Grape
    What route and how many miles did you do on the road?
    Also, what kind of road bike do you have?

I think I'm getting ready to hear a 1970 Colnogo steel with downtube shifters
    Counting my ride to and from the actual ride starting point, I ended up with about 26 miles today. Given the strong headwinds, that was plenty. We headed south from town, and did a bit of winding around to end up by the airport, and then back.

My commuter is pretty old, and had dt shifters before becoming a fixie. My road bike is a late 90's Fat City - steel of course.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

No good smilycook + bong hits

Um, well, when I mentioned doing a ride today in the Owyhees, I certainly had no intention of such an early meeting time. I can see meeting at 8 AM in the summer when it can be hot by 10, or meeting at 8 AM in the winter when the trails can be goo by 10, but why 8 AM in the spring? And, not to mention 8 AM on the Sunday morning after setting the clock ahead an hour. smilycook + bong hits = 8 AM meeting time, I suppose.

Instead of meeting at such an unreasonably stupid early hour, I was able to sleep in, make breakfast for the family, hang out at home for a while, do a 47 mile road ride, and be back home eating lunch and sipping on a cold one before you guys even got back to Boise.

beer is good
    Yeah but...
    The early start allows us to get off the trails before the NASCAR races
    are over and the shootin' begins and to try some different routes,
    (not hike-a-bike death marches)
    do a little trail work, and learn how to clean some tough sections,
    and have a beer after the ride.
    Oh, the joy of "loose scheduling requirements"
    Anyway, weekend road rides suck when trail conditions are so prime!

EP, just messin' sounds like a well rounded day with good fam. time
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

26er

Bong Bong..dity bong..nothing like a good bong...

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Um, well, when I mentioned doing a ride today in the Owyhees, I certainly had no intention of such an early meeting time. I can see meeting at 8 AM in the summer when it can be hot by 10, or meeting at 8 AM in the winter when the trails can be goo by 10, but why 8 AM in the spring? And, not to mention 8 AM on the Sunday morning after setting the clock ahead an hour. smilycook + bong hits = 8 AM meeting time, I suppose.

Instead of meeting at such an unreasonably stupid early hour, I was able to sleep in, make breakfast for the family, hang out at home for a while, do a 47 mile road ride, and be back home eating lunch and sipping on a cold one before you guys even got back to Boise.
    a good bong on the butt, after working on a case study all day saturday, I was eager to ride and get a full day in after being stuck in front of a computer. Next time I should have you dig up a case study you wrote and then we can ride at 8:15am

Plus I was taking into account some extra time in case I needed to break into steve's car again...
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

aaarrrggghh!
    Willow Lane?

mtbr member
    May 2004

It came up on my calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    Willow Lane?
    And as far as I know nobody has worked it. I talked to Chris about it and also mentioned we will try to get some equipment; and, of course, are wanting you and Brad to show up!

How was BC?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nels
    Yeah but...
    The early start allows us to get off the trails before the NASCAR races
    are over and the shootin' begins and to try some different routes,
    (not hike-a-bike death marches)
    do a little trail work, and learn how to clean some tough sections,
    and have a beer after the ride.
    Oh, the joy of "loose scheduling requirements"
    Anyway, weekend road rides suck when trail conditions are so prime!
    I figured as much. Funny though, I don't remember posting "Owyhees Sunday for Riders with No Wife and/or Kids and All Day to Burn." I'll remember that next time I post a suggested ride.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I figured as much. Funny though, I don't remember posting "Owyhees Sunday for Riders with No Wife and/or Kids and All Day to Burn." I'll remember that next time I post a suggested ride.
    I like having a wife and kid and a tight schedule. What's your point?

Oh, and I think somebody should educate Smilycook regarding the correct use of bongs.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Next time I should have you dig up a case study you wrote and then we can ride at 8:15am.
    Yeah, and I have to remember in the future that YOUR schedule dictates when and where I ride. How stupid and thoughtless of me to forget that the world revolves around smilycook.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dumb question: is it just the quote that let's us know which thread we are replying to?
    The reason I ask is that response numbers don't tell us. Anyway, just a general question, and sorry if a dumb one!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Feel the love

Yeah, and I have to remember in the future that YOUR schedule dictates when and where I ride. How stupid and thoughtless of me to forget that the world revolves around smilycook.
    Piggy,

Sounds like you are jonesing to ride with the old silverbacks again! I totally agree - riding before the caffine has had a chance to kick in is just plain raw. Some where between nine and noon is just right.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I try to get the caffeine in early so I can, ahem, use the facilities, and am then ready to ride. This usually happens 15 minutes or so after drinking said hot black beverage!

Also, just in gen knowledge, you/we should all drink AT LEAST one cup of water for every cup of coffee you drink pre-ride, so as to hydrate yourself

aaarrrggghh!
    Better than Boise on an immeasurable scale. It reminds me all over again how bad the riding is here. Nobody asked us if we were downhillers because we were on big bikes. All hikers and other bikers were extremely friendly, smiles and all. Trails were excellent, both with stunts and without. Washington state has some awesome riding as we spent our time 50/50 between there and BC. I'm remotivated to make this a better riding environment or leave. For me there is no other option, I can't settle with what we have.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Glad you had all had a great trip. And for improvements, Rock Island is definitely a start in that direction - maybe it can get built and continued further up, as Brad suggested.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    Piggy,

Sounds like you are jonesing to ride with the old silverbacks again! I totally agree - riding before the caffine has had a chance to kick in is just plain raw. Some where between nine and noon is just right.
    Well, it is my fault for not posting a meeting time and for fence sitting about even going. So, that said, I'll stop *****ing about not getting on the mountain bike yesterday. From the sounds of it, it was a day long driving, riding, b.s.ing & trail building circle jerk anyway, so I'm glad I skipped it.