Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Good Dirt - Bozeman Area?

1K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  tone capone 
#1 ·
We are heading out to the Bozeman area for a week of riding and are looking for recommendations for the best rides in the region. We are willing to drive up to an additional 4-6 hours if the trail is worth the drive (Sun Valley?). Since I'm running out of time and tired of scrolling websites to search out trails, I'm hoping for a little help...please?? If you had 6 days to ride what routes would you plan? We like technical but smooth and flowy (with scenery) is fun too. We also are not afraid to hit up two short rides or an long epic in a day. Thanks for the assist!

#4 ·
Ray Ray has already pointed out the best alpine / epic trail in the greater LosBozangeles corridor -- though one could shuttle the road portion if one were so inclined...

It's in the Montana Singletrack guide and then you'll probably want to pick up the BZN / Big Sky / West Yellowstone map (by Beartooth Publishing as well) which should fill in the remaining cracks of your schedule.

In deference to your self-admitted slackitude (as it was just noted by another out of towner on this same forum) I'd avoid the "Cherry" ride Portal Creek (S. of BIg Sky) in favor of Little Wapiti Creek (also a "Cherry" just a little further south off the Taylor Fork)

Otherwise, I suspect you'll hit the old BZN favorites: bangtail divide, emerald & garnet

IMO the two best non-published rides:

Sheep Lake, trail 218 near the NW corner of Hebgen lake -- as pretty as Emerald and overgrown the last time I rode it -- but ALL singletrack

Blackmore to Cottonwood -- the climb of which was featured in LeeL's recent MT tribute

Beer (preferably porter) donations for said beta gladly accepted...

#7 ·
Thanks!

Great insight! I did order up the Singletrack Guide a few days ago so that sounds like it will be a good help. Hope to pick up the map when we are there. Having the local input on a few of the other 'Cherry' rides is always the way to go. Information is so scattered on the web, some updated, some not...it just is taking way to long to piece it together, but I'll admit the slacktitude also. Thanks ...we'll plan to hit up the classics and the other suggested rides.

BTW - is there any time sharing issues we should be aware of that could affect our ride schedule? This is something we don't have to deal with here in the U.P. of MI. but I saw reference to it in a few places.

Montana Rider - If I could send you a porter from our local brewery (The Keweenaw Brewing Company) through the messageboard I would ;)

#8 ·
the newest version of the 'map' spells out the time share schedule -- my map is older so I don't have it to refer to, but I believe that most of the closures are on the weekend and only a few trails would fall under that time share (i.e. emerald and maybe cottonwood)

Most of the 'cherry' rides should be good to go, especially M-Th

#9 ·
I'm pretty sure the timeshares are as follows;

Sypes Canyon = closed on Sat
Emerald Lake = closed on Fri and Sat
Hyalite Pk Trail = Closed on Sun and Mon

Slide Creek (off of the Oil Well / Little Wapiti trail south of Big Sky) is a really fun flowy ride - it reminds me of tree skiing.

#12 ·
though one could shuttle the road portion if one were so inclined...
I highly reccomend this if doing Curly. Don't say you weren't warned...

As far as Wapiti goes, one of the best parts is so moto and horse ****ed now that it is not even worth doing. A two foot deep trench with horse holes in it for a mile. Ruined.

Definetly avoid Portal to Porcupine.

PM me when you are around and I'll try and steer you away from the other guidebook distractions.

#13 ·
Rides

I searched for Blackmore to Cottonwood and a few other rides and could find great pix (thanks LeeL) but didn't find much in the way of directions. It would be great to get some of them onto the MTB trail reviews (unless you want to keep it a secret...understandable). Are these rides in the newest version of the guidebooks?

#14 ·
dir-T said:
I'm pretty sure the timeshares are as follows;

Sypes Canyon = closed on Sat
Emerald Lake = closed on Fri and Sat
Hyalite Pk Trail = Closed on Sun and Mon

Slide Creek (off of the Oil Well / Little Wapiti trail south of Big Sky) is a really fun flowy ride - it reminds me of tree skiing.
You've got Emerald and Hyalite reversed.

#15 ·
bwheelin said:
hey i'm thinking about visiting bozeman. how's the weather in late september? I checked out the flight prices and they are much cheaper in september plus i'm thinking less crowds.
The weather by then is about 50/50. You may not get into the high country at all.

#16 ·
No. alot of the best rides are not in the guidebooks, in my opinion, but that is just my opinion and you might think I like to do dumb ****.

I will say that the guidebooks give you some good ideas to keep you occupied and to introduce you to an area. They also don't give away the real gems in my opinion. It's not to say there aren't some great rides in the guidebook, but they are more of a sure bet where you will be "riding" the whole time.

Thankfully though, there is still plenty of adventure here. Just get a good map and use your imagination, or buy the guidebook and get a feel for the area and come back next time for exploring.

#18 ·
MSU Alum said:
But I'm putting in another pitch for the trails review section...we can write our own guide book there. I don't get to BZN very much anymore and it would help cut down on the initial flailing if I only have 2 or 3 days available to explore.
Lets keep some adventure around here. You can't be handed everything, you've gotta work to find the good stuff. Lets keep it that way, thanks.

#19 ·
there is a problem with keeping trails somewhat secret

What has happened is by keeping trails secret, out of guidebooks, the Wilderness organizations then assume that many of those areas are fair game for inclusion in future wilderness bills. Unfortunately, we must be more public about the places we ride, especially in the Wilderness Study Areas and Recommended Wilderness Areas, in order to "protect" them. Yes, this does go against common sense to a degree...

A lot of these trails have been ridden for close to 30 years. A handful of them for 35 years. We will be denied some if they are kept secret.

Some, which are gems close in to town, are not threatened, and should stay secret. This helps protect the habitat. The old saying applies, "I can't tell you where it is, but I can show you".

#20 ·
Trail Secrets

The only place I ever run into other bikers is sourdough trail. Did you know that there is a photo camera that takes a picture of every person that goes in or out of the trailhead there? All the rest of the places I ever go there is never anybody else there. So I don't really see the point of keeping anything secret since only the hardcores will ever go there anyway.

Attachments

#21 ·
Wow, when do you ride, at night? I personally don't mind seeing other bikers. As a matter of fact, I appreciate it. Most of the trails that are too crowded are full of hikers. More remote trails could use more bikers to pack down and fix up the horse damage. I have seen some really atrocious horse damage this year with all the rain. It is what it is, but we can fix some of it with a little effort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.