mtbr member
    May 2011

Smile Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area

In the area between Salmon and Dillon, just west of Reservoir Lake on the Dillon Ranger District, of the Beaverhead NF, did a 24 mile lolipop loop ride on some great narrow singletrack. Good high elevation hot weather ride in the lodgepoles and whitebark pine. You will get your exercise on this one. Take lots of water or a filter. There is no water on the CDT trail #111 in this area. Started on the Idaho side of the divide, rode north on the CDT trail #111 to Eunice Creek Trail #157, down that until hit the road over to Lake Creek, up Lake Creek jeep road/trail to Park Creek. Then up Park Creek singletrack trail (some pushing) past Swift lake to Goldstone road up to Goldstone Pass. (I missed the spur trail to Swift Lake). Then south on CDT trail back to starting point. Was a good push for me up to the peak just south of Goldstone Pass but from there south is delightful sometimes technical singletrack. If you like narrow sometimes technical singletrack you will have a blast on this loop, although it requires some pushing in the steep spots. Low point of the ride was 7,200 feet just west of Reservoir Lake and high point was 9,735 feet on CDT on peak just south of Goldstone Pass. Took me 8 hours and a gallon of water, but it was hot, and I stopped to take pictures or look for the trail in the area just below Goldstone Pass. This is a lightly used trail so requires some routefinding, especially in the upper meadows below Goldstone Pass. This ride can also be accessed from Reservoir Lake area in Montana. There is a campground at the Lake so could spend more time in the area, or do shorter or longer rides from there. The singletrack is all closed to motorized and there are only short sections of road open to motorized on the route. Watch out for hikers on the trails. It could be snowing up here in a month. The trails had been recently cleared but there were a few new downfall trees. Photo's attached are:

CDT-Eunice Creek Trail Junction.
    Typical Eunice Creek Trail shot.
    Park Creek Trail.
    Park Creek.
    Goldstone Pass from Park Creek Trail.
    CDT trail follows top of this ridge.
    CDT trail highpoint on this ride at 9,735 feet.
    Grouse whortleberry in the whitebark pine and spruce above 9,000 feet.
    Fuzzy map showing route.
    Route elevation profile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010002.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010004.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010009.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010010.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010014.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010030.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010031.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010035.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-eunice_lake_park_goldstone_cdt_loop.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-eunice_park_goldstone_loop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    looks like a sweet ride

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Its a great ride. Its so socked in here with smoke today, Im rackin my brain to figure out where to go for a ride today without coughing up a lung.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I called Lewistown last week trying to avoid the smoke, but they said they had it there too...

Northeastern WA looks better -- hopefully the rain will help

AIRNow - Montana Air Quality

U.S. Air Quality

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    we have been smoky up here also. The wind shifted last night and blew the smoke out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Lucked out. Decided to go back to Reservoir Lake area and check out another loop option. Got about 18 miles south of town and broke out of the smoke into the blue sky. Got in a 16 mile ride to Reservoir Lake and back to truck from the divide in clear air. Got back in valley on way to town and smoked in again but not as bad as this morning. Montana Rider, that is quite a comprehensive air quality link. Will have to check it out more. I have just been using the weather satelite visable photo for a crude smoke indicator. Got my maiden voyage on the new wheels today. Handles the chunk well on our not so smooth trails. Hope you guys find some clear air.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010002-2-.jpg  

Goldstone Loop Ride-CDT-Reservoir Lake Area-p1010005-2-.jpg