mtbr member
    May 2007

Go Ride Gardener Peak

All I seem to hear on this post is complaining about the trail in the foothills. As I have stated before they are not my cup of tea ether but I support what Dave Gordon is doing. I may not agree 100% with his design but he is doing what he thinks is best.

I also hear comments that SWIMBA builds water bars and does not know how to build grade reversals. I may be wrong but what trail has SWIMBA designed and built in the foothills. I am sure if I am wrong I will be corrected.

I hear people complaining about SWIMBA built trails. The only trail’s designed and built by SWIMBA are 80% of East Side, Mr Big, and Gardener.

Go ride Gardener Peak. It is an out and back right now but is a better example of what SWIMBA is doing. Every time I ride it I see things I do not like. (Including stuff I built myself). If you do ride it give me and Mike some constructive criticism and let us know what you like and don’t like. We are doing things that we have never done before trying to meet the needs of as many people as we can.

To Get there drive up Bogus Rd to the Ridge Road (275) over Deer Point to spur road 275C. Turn hear and go through the gate. Go another 100 yards on the road and look for a trail taking off the Right (South).The trail is camouflaged a little to keep the Motor Cycles out If you start to go DH on the road you have gone to far.

We are riding up Dry Creek to Gardener on Saturday meeting at Highland School at 8 am if any would like to see the trail. We are going to stick around and do some trail work but if you just want to see the trail come along. We will also be meeting a few people to do trail work at 11:00 am about 100 yards down Rd 275C.

Now is the time to give input. Not when it is done.
    If you ain't hike you ain't Mnt Bikin

gringo-fied facsimiles

I'm going to tell you straight up!!!!

I am very impressed with all the hard work. Thank you soo much for putting all that effort into what could end up as one of the best trails in the area. There are several great features to ride, and while walking down further( following the flags ) there are plenty more to be intergrated. I did have one concern for safety that wont effect everyone....But, I run 28" bars and with endcaps that makes them a rough 28 1/2" wide, as the pic below, and the bruise on my shoulder, and the numb pinky and ringfinger 24 hrs later indicate, this feature could end up making some cuss. I wish I was able to help on the Sat. build days but alas.. have to get paid. I would love to head up a Sunday work day or two if it would work with schedules... let me know.
    I thank you all that have put in the effort on this trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rode it yesterday again. Awesome guys. I am planning on heading up a little bit later on Saturday and help. I think getting it cut through should be a priority but I would love to fine tune some corners after the final punch is done. Super fun stuff.

mtnjam
    surly whatcha riding in those photos? Nice orange bike and leopard skin saddle.

Wow! That trail has come a long way since last fall...nice job everyone
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    i'm with patrick on the narrow tree feature.

i think allikat put a lot of work in building the rocks up and through them..

but, yeah...i scraped on it too.

and, that was slowing waaay down. i think a go around will occur if it gets significant traffic.

it's a cool idea..but, it's a tad too narrow..imo.

soooooo - i understand how the loop will be made...that is..heading back over to the established/original gardiner peak trail that starts/ends/whatevers at the blue rock..

but, cutting a trail to connect to the top of deerpoint would be sweet.

it'd make for a good ride starting at the base of deerpoint (simplot lodge). climbing up to the top of deer point...down - and do a loop at gardiner..then, back down to the base...

here are some pics i took last week..sorta cross posted here:

mtbr member

Gardner, Gardener, Gardiner

can we get a correct spelling people?

this could turn out to be worse than Bucks!

i say we call it the back door trail. hehehehe

mtbr member
    The thought was if we got the tread high enough the trees would be wide enough. Looks like a wide bar won't make it but narrow will. By the pictures, raising the trail tread won't widen the opening anymore.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    I am very impressed with all the hard work. Thank you soo much for putting all that effort into what could end up as one of the best trails in the area. There are several great features to ride, and while walking down further( following the flags ) there are plenty more to be intergrated. I did have one concern for safety that wont effect everyone....But, I run 28" bars and with endcaps that makes them a rough 28 1/2" wide, as the pic below, and the bruise on my shoulder, and the numb pinky and ringfinger 24 hrs later indicate, this feature could end up making some cuss. I wish I was able to help on the Sat. build days but alas.. have to get paid. I would love to head up a Sunday work day or two if it would work with schedules... let me know.
    I thank you all that have put in the effort on this trail.
    I would definitely be interested in a Sunday “trail day” also…After July, I will again have my Saturdays free, so I am planning on the Sat, Aug 8th meet. I am looking forward to getting up there and helping out soon. I have not checked it out yet, but the pics look sweet, and if it’s anything like Eastside, I know it will be awesome. I am going to try to head up early next week and check it out.

Contagious Xian
    That is some sweet looking sauce there folks, good job to all.

My 28" bars would have a problem through that spot too, apparently...looks like you'll have to wheelie through that spot!

Horney 4 FR'ers
    Jun 2009

Shocking

Do you need a specific bike, shock, tire etc. to ride this trail? Also, How many wood nuggets are there so I can prepare my shock?

SHOCK-O-LOT.jpg

mtbr member
    There are so many wood nuggets that a wood chuck could not chuck wood. However that same wood chuck could chuck nuggets.
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

Horney 4 FR'ers
    Jun 2009
    Alright, I'll stop with the shock jokes. It's just funny how things are here but only I would understand that.

The trails in Bosie are FIVE STARS!! Great job SWIMBA!! especially if your into the classic OG style MTBing with lots of climbing!!.

My only input would be; If someone complains about the trails check to see what kind of bike their riding. If there's too much shock have them try the same thing on a HT. If they can't do it, tell them to come back when they can. If it's a darn BMXer tell him to get a unicycle and quit bragging!!

Anyone know the milage on this trail without the climb up Bogus?
    Last edited by Genius'er; 07-11-2009 at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm sure the experts will chime in but the new Gardener peak trail alone is going to be 2.5 miles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Phase II

Garnet,

Phase II of the project will wrap around the drainage off the backside of Bogus and end at the saddle where the cat track goes to the backside. I am guessing it will be around 2 miles.

The more people we get up there digging the faster we will get to phase II and on to Bogus.

Mike e.

mtbr member
    This weekend didn't work for me to go dig. I'm hoping for next weekend if you guys will be up again.

mtbr member
    so. this saturday is a dig day, right? 7/18.

right now..i plan on headin up there and working for a few hours...then dropping dry creek back down.

hit up the brewfest. then the twilight criterium.

i'm also free on weeknights...and after 12-noon on friday..if there is some informal digging going on.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Gardiner Peak

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    can we get a correct spelling people?

this could turn out to be worse than Bucks!

i say we call it the back door trail. hehehehe
    It is Gardner Peak. Always has been.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

blet drive

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    That is some sweet looking sauce there folks, good job to all.

My 28" bars would have a problem through that spot too, apparently...looks like you'll have to wheelie through that spot!
    just cut them down a bit that would help... hehe or move to TX and you wont have that problem..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Fly fat ass fly !

Riding tip of the day

I ok i know some here are sheltered and havn't see alot of trail features and i know here its cool to be a climber but, you do not climb up transitions . Not at the velo park or on trails if there is a landing do not climb up it ! Thank you
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFLA
    I ok i know some here are sheltered and havn't see alot of trail features and i know here its cool to be a climber but, you do not climb up transitions . Not at the velo park or on trails if there is a landing do not climb up it ! Thank you
    There are 1000's of miles of trails in Idaho just dripping with adventure and you get all hissy over 5 foot sections of dirt? Transition??? WTF is that? People don't actually give names to these things, do they? Is there a picture in a book somewhere? Did the memo not get fully circulated?

You'll see more trail features when you hit those 1000's of BC trails than you ever would hitting a jump. Over and over. On YouTube. With MILFs in tow.

I'm just sayin.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Fly fat ass fly !
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    In Jonny's defense, he has put probably over 20 hours into a 30 foot section of trail and if it is already taking abuse, I feel for him big time. There is a ride around for climbers and the tranny is steep and fresh.

Once it packs in, I would say that people could get away with trying to climb it but only the masochists would really want to try. They are known to be about these parts though so they should be part of the building vision. "Masochist proof tranny", there's something to run with Twisted and Pig.

mtbr member
    Kudos to Jonny! That rock drop section is cool. It's good to see when people have an eye for spotting this kind of possibility and implementing it rather that going around it--even if it requires some man hours to make it right. The ground there is fresh and VERY loose right now....

I am curious, the section right before the rock drop, is that going to be bridged with a log? Curious what the plan is for it.

Here is a pic of the spot I a referring to, though it is hard to see the big hole that is in the pic

Fly fat ass fly !
    Don't know ?Maybe a rock bridge.

Yesterday i started a cork screw turn at the top of the climb, it needs to be dialed .
    It leads the trail over the rock on the right of your pic (the big bench rock). Its just a up and over ,not very hard . Its not done so don't flip out .

Also the ride around and climbing line was made more enticing !

Go ride it
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM