Thread: glass@velo park

mtbr member
    May 2006

glass@velo park

So I was at the velo park yesterday hitting up some of the intermediate dirtjumps, enjoying the cool weather. Around the 6th time around, after the drop in and upon the approach to the first jump, I hear something ping off my tire and bounce off my frame.
    "oh crap, hope it's not a spoke or the chain" I think as I sail through the air.
    As soon as I land I hear loud hiss coming from my back tire, I immediately stop and check the damage, the exit hole is huge, way bigger than a goathead, the tire deflates almost immediately.
    So I scout the landing looking for t he culprit, there are some small glass pieces embedded into the dirt but nothing that could potentially cause my flat. So my riding time has been cut short. On my way back to the truck I decide to walk the skills park line with all the wood work. At the bottom of one of the drops, in the transition something catches my eye, what do I see???? more glass except these are big pieces, the size that would definitely puncture the back tire that drops in from the skinny. I picked up all the bigger shards and shook my head in disappointment as I headed home .
    Anyways, I post this as a heads up information. I guess the lesson is to walk the line before you ride it.

Fly fat ass fly !
    Watch out for the scrap metal on the edges of the line . The junkyard line is in the junkyard.
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have seen glass and nails on Bobs, easy to spot and pick up walking, tough on
    dogs though. neo tree hugging jerks at work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have seen and picked up a ton of glass at the velo park. Personally I think most of it is old and is getting unearthed with all the dirt getting moved around. Sadly I know this is not always true and some of it is new. Sorry to hear about your tire and thanks for picking up not only what gave you a flat but also looking at another line. It is a huge help out there as there is always work to do.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by clayd
    I have seen and picked up a ton of glass at the velo park. Personally I think most of it is old and is getting unearthed with all the dirt getting moved around. Sadly I know this is not always true and some of it is new. Sorry to hear about your tire and thanks for picking up not only what gave you a flat but also looking at another line. It is a huge help out there as there is always work to do.

The shards that were on one of the transitions in the skillspark looked as if somebody broke a glass bottle there on purpose. Goes to show that a volunteer based project such as this is not above vandalism and ill will that occurs elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ezw0rkz
    The shards that were on one of the transitions in the skillspark looked as if somebody broke a glass bottle there on purpose. Goes to show that a volunteer based project such as this is not above vandalism and ill will that occurs elsewhere.
    I hate hearing that. I really hope that it was just a random act and not someone with a motive. I can slightly understand the concept of kids being kids (and sometime needing a slap up side the head) and people just being dumb. With that I can work with it and move on. When it is some one that doesn't like what we are doing and is trying to hurt people, well that what pisses me of / scares the hell out of me. Lets hope (and I tend to lean toward it) that it is just a random act.

I was talking with a officer a while ago while out at the park and he mentioned how much we was amazed at the respect that came from the riders out there though for the structures and what has been built. It was good to hear from someone in his position positive comments. Personally I think allowing the kids to have input and responsibility out there has really helped create this. I am still amazed at what has been built and the fact that the biggest cause of damage out there is water.