mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Gilette Wyoming?

My father is going antelope hunting near this place in Wyoming. its in campbell county in the NE corner of the state.

I am curious to know if I should tag along and bring my bike. It seems that it is nothing but coal mines and flat.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks guys (visiting from the Virginia forum)

mtbr member
    If you're willing to go an hour east, I believe there are good trails on the western flank of the Black Hills around Sundance, WY.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I hope I will have the ability to drive a ways. Atleast one day we are going to head to the Rockies just to say we saw them - hopefully I will find a trail or two out that way that I can ride that day.

I have a seven inch bike and a dirtjump hardtail set up for XC duty. any ideas for stuff further west.

Thanks for the info dauwalt!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    I hope I will have the ability to drive a ways. Atleast one day we are going to head to the Rockies just to say we saw them - hopefully I will find a trail or two out that way that I can ride that day.

I have a seven inch bike and a dirtjump hardtail set up for XC duty. any ideas for stuff further west.

Thanks for the info dauwalt!
    my old job had me traveling through that part of WY a lot. To me there didn't look like anything good that was on public land around Gillette. If you can head an hour west to Buffalo, there was some potential up Hwy 16 into the Bighorns. Maybe also something along the Powder River on the way to Buffalo?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    my old job had me traveling through that part of WY a lot. To me there didn't look like anything good that was on public land around Gillette. If you can head an hour west to Buffalo, there was some potential up Hwy 16 into the Bighorns. Maybe also something along the Powder River on the way to Buffalo?
    Thanks man. I will do some searching online for stuff in the areas mentioned.

Does anyone know of a forum local to that area? Maybe a rocky mountain mountain bikers forum? haha, sounds like i should google that one..

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I tried to ride there a few years back and it was terrible. I spoke to the guy in the bike shop and he pointed out an area for me to go, I only went once due to the suck factor. I was there for 5 days and did the rest of my riding on the road, sort of cool, lots of wind. I did travel to the east into the black hills but with no bike and it did look like there was some good riding. All the stuff in/around Mt. Rushmore/Crazy Horse. Devils Tower climbing is great but you have to do it at right time of year, some sort of sacred native thing. Good Luck, you'll have more fun getting drunk. oh, and don't go to the strip club either, it's worse than the biking.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks butryon.

I will start looking for stuff outside of the area we are going to be in. Perhaps it will be further east or west of gillette (closer to decent riding)

Pops just side it was near Gillette..

strip clubs in wyoming do sound scary - thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    get into rapid city and ride we have lots of good stuff around here DH and everything look at BHMBA.org for more info we even have a forums

Tracking up the place
    We have trails in Sundance.. But alas we are covered in cold and snow....See how spring shapes up and convince your pop to come out turkey hunting in the Bearlodge...
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....