mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Get on your old bike and ride

Probably going to catch some flack for this but here we go anyway. I`m at the age were I can`t afford to set around all winter eating cheezy puffs waiting for the trails to dry. So,you may ask yourself, what does the piltdown do to keep His girlish figure? I ride my older model cannonball touring bike on the greenbelt.Yes the greenbelt.Come rain or shine I`m out peddeling w/o worrying about getting nailed by a car. I know it`s not Bingos but it sure beats setting on the trainer lookin at the inside of my garage. I ride from Veterans to Lucky Peak and back. If one really pushes it can make for a fairly good sweat. Once out of the city it`s actually scenic and relaxing. I would suggest that you folks that live in Boise take advantage of your greenbelt. We build sprawl not bike paths in Nampa. Fix-up that old hardtail, or dare I say it,roadbike and get some fresh air. Got sopping wet yesterday and loved every minute. It ain`t dirt but if you can`t ski it`s the next best thing. Don`t know about the rest of you but all this winter ale has got my gut looking the size of the Irishbuddhas after He hath drinken a 6 of Guinness. Feel as though I may give birth to a troll at any moment.

Hi!!!
    It looks like the weather is gonna cooperate tomorrow....temps in the 40s and no rain. I'm gonna try to ride the Greenbelt tomorrow on my SS. I was planning to head up to Bogus after work, but looks like they are gonna be closed for a bit until it gets colder and they get more snow. I've been running several times a week for the past couple of weeks and being off my bikes is driving me nuts!!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I ride everyday on the goosebelt...pooh.

May the Spackle be with you.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Hi!!!
    Well I got off work earlier than I thought and managed to do a short lifting session before heading out onto the Greenbelt. HOLY CRAP I totally forgot how slow a singlespeed is on the flats. It took me FOREVER to do my short route (BSU Rec Center --> north side of the Greenbelt --> Barber Park --> south side of Greenbelt --> BSU Rec Center). Oh well it was definately nice to be outside. Jeez it felt like spring out there!!! Alot of bikers and runners. The driving range at Warm Springs was hoppin'.

mtbr member

feeling a little roadie

I think i might go for a little road ride tomorrow, especially if it is like it was today. I just got bike fit last week so I am interested in how the changes to the bike will feel. If this weather keeps up I will be seeing some sprouts in the yard soon.
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

Look out!

Got on the bike,

Yesterday. Around 2:30, the temperature according to my cycle-computer was a balmy 55 degrees. I rode out to Hidden Springs via Cartwright and Dry Creek. It was a glorious spring day for the end of December. Sure, it was on the road, but the hills are pretty sloppy, so it will continue to be on the roads for me until the dirt dries out. Merry Christmas to all, and may your stockings be filled with bike parts!

Mark
    Ride the bike.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid
    Yesterday. Around 2:30, the temperature according to my cycle-computer was a balmy 55 degrees. I rode out to Hidden Springs via Cartwright and Dry Creek.

I did a similar loop today - out Hill, up Seamans Gulch, and back on Dry Creek/Cartwright. The temps were nice, but parts of Hill and Dry Creek are understruction and there's no pavement. My bike is filthy!!

Great ride though.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PILTDOWN
    Fix-up that old hardtail....
    In process! Just ordered the last pieces to put the $129 Supergo special frame back together to complete the hardtail bad conditions bike. Should make for a fantastic greenbelt cruiser, kid-trailer-puller, and occasional foothills bike. Thanks for the inspiration!