Thread: fixie madness

mtbr member

fixie madness

my brother just got a fixie that a friend of ours built for him for $50. really sweet baby blue (not my fave, but he's a jetsetter) fuji frame, very sleek and simple.

so to get to the point, i realized that one would need to use leg tension to slow down, but i didn't realize some of the crazy maneuvers these fixie guys (and gals!) do.

little brother demonstrated stopping 'jamaiican style', which as far as i can tell involves locking up the pedals and unweighting the back wheel, causing it to come off of the ground. what happens next i'm not real sure, but i guess the idea is to end up in a track stand. hmmm...i'm perlexed. also there is some knee maneuver...and the old bmx put-the-sneaker-to-the-wheel move.

this is pretty loony stuff! he said sometimes he misses his turn if he's going too fast and has to loop around the block again.

i know a lot of you are singlespeeders, but anyone here ride a fixed gear bike? is it sacreligious to put a front brake on, as i've seen them set up? is it scary as all hell?

i'm just a curious girl and oddball stuff gets my attention.

BTW our buddy cody is building these bikes if anyone is interested. he is a bike mechanic and does a great job, according to cheyenne. now if my brother can keep from killing himself...
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I've been on one, but it was on a trainer. My friend has one and uses it a lot. He actually rides the Dump and Eagle Hills Loops on it. He is crazy strong, though. He runs a 48x17, or 48x19 on it...or some other crazy a$$$ hard gear on it.

He runs a front brake for safety in town. Actually, a lot of people run front brakes, but the truly hardcore retro-grouch crowd doesn't. I've heard about the Jamaiican style stop. Fixies are REALLY popular in Portland.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    For about a year now, my only road bike has been a fixie. I actually run a front brake now, but didn't have one for the first month. Talk about a steep learning curve! The second time I rode it was communting 6 miles across town (Columbus, Ga). A nice asian lady even gave a primer in the finer arts of track skidding by pretending to turn right then stopping her SUV in the middle of the road directly in front of me! I went through a brand new rear tire in that first month. Since then, I've done several centuries and a buttload of shorter group rides; it was great putting a spanking on guys with $5000 on my $150 spare parts special. I picked up a Specialized Langster last summer through the shop where I used to work. The new bikes is lighter, but it just doesn't quite ride like that old lugged steel Giant frame I rescued from the obscurity of the basement.

As far as the benefits of riding a fixie, one of the first things I noticed when I first got on mine was being much more aware of my peripheral vision. When you can't stop on a dime, you have to be aware of whats going on around you. The fixie has also helped my balance like nothing else; skinnies are nothing now and trackstands at red lights are just cool. I'm still working on backwards circles, though... LIke I said, this is my only road bike. I actually don't like riding a geared bike on the road anymore. I just don't feel the connection like I do on my fixie. All in all, the fixie has definitely made me a better mountain biker. I highly recommend riding one.

the new Gilbert Grape
    I commute on a fixie and really like it. A front brake is a good idea if you plan on riding in traffic. My rear hub is a flip-flop so I have both front and rear brakes mounted so I can run it as a SS - however in the 3 years that I've been riding it, I'm yet to use the SS side of the wheel.

I think they're a lot of fun most of the time. Downhills can get a little scarry if you are spinning the cranks as fast as you can and try to take a turn. For cruising around town, I prefer it to a bike with a freeweheel - trackstands at red-lights are easier, and controling your speed is easier.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    my brother is getting really good on his fixie. he was at my house last night and he can pretty much control his skids and stops with his feet in the toe clips. he left my house after dark, concerned sister that i am i made him at least take my headlamp.

i think commuting on this bike has got him considering a helmet, a first for this fun-hog. between a friend slamming his fixie into the side of a car and another friend ripping his skull open boarding, i think he's considering his mortality a little more seriously

anybody remember what the site was with the boys on fixies in their undies?
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Hoops - Big and Small

Dressing up is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MTNgirl
    anybody remember what the site was with the boys on fixies in their undies?
    No undie site?
    Attached Images Attached Images