hispanic mechanic

FINALLY!!! Boise bound!

Well, after a couple of years of trying to figure out how we would get the F out of Texas, we just signed the contract to sell our house!
    If all goes well, we'll be arriving in Boise somewhere around Sept. 30.
    We're planning on renting a house for a while, so if anyone has any leads in the Camel's Back/downtown vicinity...
    Looking forward to meeting and riding with you folks!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Well, after a couple of years of trying to figure out how we would get the F out of Texas, we just signed the contract to sell our house!
    If all goes well, we'll be arriving in Boise somewhere around Sept. 30.
    We're planning on renting a house for a while, so if anyone has any leads in the Camel's Back/downtown vicinity...
    Looking forward to meeting and riding with you folks!

Los
    Check Hotpads, you can search rentals via a map. Just make sure to change it to Boise. Also, a lot of renters are normal citizens who own another house, and they don't advertise their units anywhere. You might have better luck driving around the neighborhood that you're interested in and looking for "For Rent" signs. That might be difficult, though, considering you're in Texas

Edit: HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments and Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjt View Post
    Check Hotpads, you can search rentals via a map. Just make sure to change it to Boise. Also, a lot of renters are normal citizens who own another house, and they don't advertise their units anywhere. You might have better luck driving around the neighborhood that you're interested in and looking for "For Rent" signs. That might be difficult, though, considering you're in Texas

Edit: HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments and Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale
    Thanks for the link! My sister-in-law and her husband are in Eagle, and I'm sure we can impose upon them to start searching...

Los
    Jens Voight

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Looking for a rental for school, I had better luck "free styling" and just driving around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The rental market in this area is hot right now. If you find something you like act on it quick!

mtbr member
    Camelsback apartments is always a good place with the trails at your door.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by JT313 View Post
    Camelsback apartments is always a good place with the trails at your door.
    We have a dog, so an apartment won't work. I like the location, though. Every time I rode Camel's Back, I thought about how great that perk was for those apartments!

Los
    Jens Voight

Look out!
    We have a dog, so an apartment won't work. I like the location, though. Every time I rode Camel's Back, I thought about how great that perk was for those apartments!

Los
    Just so you know they do take dogs at the Camels Back apts. We lived there for 6 months a couple of years ago after we sold our home and while we looked for another one. We had a chocolate lab at the time.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I did the same thing with my family + dogs about a year and a half ago. Doing the hotpads thing you'll wind up with a lot of property management companies whom are a bit rigid and sometimes downright rude. We contacted a real estate agent and got her to do some local leg work with the indication that we'd buy a house through her later.. We rented a house in the foothills that was a distressed property for cheap while we found a house to buy. Worked out pretty well and we had a nice house in a nice neighborhood, rather than apartments.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Stackwalker, great idea on the boisemountainbikers site! I think it would be cool if it got bigger (within the population of mtn bikers we have here), similar to socaltrailriders.org.
    Promotion!

One thing though - I was having a lot fo trouble with the captcha. Maybe I went too fast. I tried to register 3x and could never get the captcha.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I'll temporarily disable the captcha... and see about getting it fixed later. I thought it'd be nice to have just a local forum... something more about riding around here, parts swapping etc...

mtbr member
    May 2004

sounds like a good idea on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by stackwalker View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I'll temporarily disable the captcha... and see about getting it fixed later. I thought it'd be nice to have just a local forum... something more about riding around here, parts swapping etc...
    I'll try to register again. thanks
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Where in Texas?

I'm curious where in Texas you're moving from. I'm in Houston, and I daydream about moving to Boise all the time. I'll probably be right behind you in within a year. Good call on Camelback -- it's definitely where you want to be for easy access.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by stalking_horse View Post
    I'm curious where in Texas you're moving from. I'm in Houston, and I daydream about moving to Boise all the time. I'll probably be right behind you in within a year. Good call on Camelback -- it's definitely where you want to be for easy access.
    San Antonio.
    We've been talking about this move for a solid 3 years now. we've just been unwilling (somewhat foolishly, I think,) to take a loss on the house. In retrospect, what's happiness worth?
    Boise's a great town, and not just for the riding. The riding's really great, though...

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Im from san antonio too! My wife and I made the move here (mountain home) since the air force decided to station us here. I am new to the whole outdoors thing but am gonna get a bike as soon as I get back (currently deployed). Anybody have some advice on some good trails to start on?

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by yomihomi View Post
    Im from san antonio too! My wife and I made the move here (mountain home) since the air force decided to station us here. I am new to the whole outdoors thing but am gonna get a bike as soon as I get back (currently deployed). Anybody have some advice on some good trails to start on?
    Haven't been to Mtn. Home, but starting at Camel's Back Park there's a ton of trails extending towards Bogus.
    Also, Eagle VeloPark has some good, beginner-friendly trails.

Los
    Jens Voight

hispanic mechanic
    It's official- we're leaving San Antonio on Sept. 29th, plan on arriving in Boise around Oct. 3rd!!!

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    you find a place yet? A friend had a place available. Will look it up if you're still looking. Welcome to boise. Just don't tell anyone else about it
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat View Post
    you find a place yet? A friend had a place available. Will look it up if you're still looking. Welcome to boise. Just don't tell anyone else about it
    Not yet.
    Telling everyone around here that Boise is terrible, and that I'm sacrificing so that my wife can be near her sister!

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    It's official- we're leaving San Antonio on Sept. 29th, plan on arriving in Boise around Oct. 3rd!!!

Los
    Congratulations and welcome! Check out SWIMBA when you get here...

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Congratulations and welcome! Check out SWIMBA when you get here...
    Joining will be among my first priorities!

Los
    Jens Voight

hispanic mechanic
    Looks like my wife found a house she really, really likes.
    Con- it's 7 miles away from Camelsback.
    Pro- Hot tub, lots of work space in the garage, very close to the Idaho Veterans' Cemetary trailhead of the Velopark trails.
    We'll see if it pans out...

Los
    Jens Voight

jalepenio jimenez
    yer gonna love it here...months long winter inversions and late summer choking smoke (hopefully not the future...might have to move.)

but we do have great riding. if you're that far from Camels Back and out by the velo park, you're that much closer to Avimor, probably not even seven miles...and don't forget how much closer you are to McCall and Stanley.

it could be worse...much worse. you could be moving to Canyon county. (I kid the terminally impaired...have you ever seen a 2C driver?)
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    not to high jack this thread, but where in boise is it better to live if you have small children (ages 3 and 6) and a dog and would like to rent a home nearer to the MTB trails. We are looking into living in Boise.

thank you, Wade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by worthy_4242 View Post
    not to high jack this thread, but where in boise is it better to live if you have small children (ages 3 and 6) and a dog and would like to rent a home nearer to the MTB trails. We are looking into living in Boise.

thank you, Wade
    Northend or East End of Boise.