Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,637

    Fat up front, skinny in the back

    If sidewall height was the same, would you go to a narrower rear tire and a fat front tire? It's not like the human's 1/3 hp can overpower a good 1.9" rear tire with proper body weight transfer and climbing technique. Is it aesthetics (fat front, thin rear). Obviously a smaller rear will weigh less, most fs bikes don' t need the cushion of a high volume tire, there'd be less sidewall flex which equates to better handling....

  2. #2
    aaarrrggghh!
    Reputation: Ivan the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    579
    Yes and No. A smaller tire does indeed weigh less and thats a positive thing. But your sidewall flex comes down to tire selection, not size. And remember this, suspension is great and all but your tires do more to cushion out your ride than suspension ever will on small bumps. You have to find and exceptable balance with your tires and this is completely subjective. I ride Maxxis 2.5 Mobsters that have the dual ply side wall. This may be overkill for some but that's the way I like it. Great rim protection, awesome traction, and I can comfortably ride at 25-28 psi all day without worry. Plus the traction is great. These tire have an excellent side wall so they don't feel squirmy at low psi. Some lesser tires would feel squirmy at such low pressures but that's why I don't run anything else. Can you dig it?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    Yes and No. A smaller tire does indeed weigh less and thats a positive thing. But your sidewall flex comes down to tire selection, not size. And remember this, suspension is great and all but your tires do more to cushion out your ride than suspension ever will on small bumps. You have to find and exceptable balance with your tires and this is completely subjective. I ride Maxxis 2.5 Mobsters that have the dual ply side wall. This may be overkill for some but that's the way I like it. Great rim protection, awesome traction, and I can comfortably ride at 25-28 psi all day without worry. Plus the traction is great. These tire have an excellent side wall so they don't feel squirmy at low psi. Some lesser tires would feel squirmy at such low pressures but that's why I don't run anything else. Can you dig it?
    I dig!

  4. #4
    Hoops - Big and Small
    Reputation: Crash_Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,087

    Large up front - Skinny rear

    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Obviously a smaller rear will weigh less, most fs bikes don' t need the cushion of a high volume tire, there'd be less sidewall flex which equates to better handling....
    Don't listen to Ivan all he cares about is bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Hoops - Big and Small
    Reputation: Crash_Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,087
    You guys stocking Maxxis?

  6. #6
    aaarrrggghh!
    Reputation: Ivan the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    579
    No but we should. Unfortunately, most people around here aren't into 1350 gram tires and this is the kind of tire that I really like. Other brands make awesome tires that weigh less. We sell alot of 2.3 and 2.5 WTB weirwolfs, so we always have those in stock. The dreaded "I can order it for you" applys to Maxxis tires for us. We are small and try to stock the tires that are most popular in the valley among the majority of our customers. Can you dig it?

  7. #7
    aaarrrggghh!
    Reputation: Ivan the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    579
    I CAN dig that!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    No but we should. Unfortunately, most people around here aren't into 1350 gram tires and this is the kind of tire that I really like. Other brands make awesome tires that weigh less. We sell alot of 2.3 and 2.5 WTB weirwolfs, so we always have those in stock. The dreaded "I can order it for you" applys to Maxxis tires for us. We are small and try to stock the tires that are most popular in the valley among the majority of our customers. Can you dig it?
    I have since patented the "can you dig it" phrase. Occured at lunch today. You owe me a nickel for each usage. Begin.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •