Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Endurance races in Id, Mt, Wy, Wa?

Hi,

I apologize in advance for the semi-rant disguised as a plea for help. Just planting a seed, let's see what grows from it.

Can any of you provide local knowledge on the endurance racing scene, or apparent lack thereof, in your area. A quick search reveals only the Laramie Enduro way over in southeast Wyoming. With all the amazing terrain available it seems a shame not to have a 100-mile race available. Or are you guys just being greedy with the goods?

For what it's worth I think a few areas have the potential to host a successful enduro race. Missoula, Coeur d'Alene, and Ketchum immediately come to mind. I realize the population base, relative to SLC/Denver, may be a perceived big stumbling block but there are surely enough people within a 1-day drive of those three towns with a desire to suffer on world class trails. Take a look at the number of hardcore trail-riders just on this local forum who are doing big rides on a regular basis. How many of you would love a chance to stomp it down on "home turf" for bragging rights?

There is also a big market of pain-seeking cyclists from Canada (Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver, combined pop. 5,000,000) who think nothing of driving to Moab/Fruita, year after year, for a week of "spring training". Some of the Calgary locals, self-included, have made the trek to Oregon for the Cascade Creampuff 100 and would kill for a chance to do a 100-miler a bit closer to home. Hell, our club (Deadgoat Racing) would need to rent a full-on rock star tour bus to haul bikes and riders to such a race! To gauge the demand for enduro racing in western Canada look no further than the quick sellouts of the Squamish Test of Metal and the TransRockies Challenge. The T.O.M. reportedly sold all 800 spots in hours this year, 6 months in advance of race day. Calgary has a local race of one 80km lap on epic trail that sells out all 150 spots in minutes.

Taking a line from the movie Field of Dreams..... "build it and they will come". And when the inevitable influx of Canadian's make the trek to your 'hood we're bringing some mighty stiff beers to share after the race.

Cheers,
    Dave

Don't worry, be happy!
    do 24 hour races count?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Dave,

I hear your rant and wish we did have more enduro races. The 12 hrs of Willamette and the E100 are the only close ones besides the Laramie Enduro. Hell, I had to go to Redding, CA to do the Whiskeytown 9 to 5. (I highly recommend it. The course is great, as are the people.)

Idaho had the 24hrs of Bogus a couple years back, but it was only a one time thing. I'd love to get a couple people going and do an enduro on the old Galena Grinder course (outside of Sun Valley).
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    I totally agree. I used to love riding the Dakota 5-0 but I end up spending 2 days driving for about 6 hours of riding. I just get more bang for my vacation buck (or hours) by staying close to home doing something else.

There's plenty of opportunity for an endurance race near Bozeman too. Linking the Bangtail Divide trail to the Fairy Lake Loop and back on the BT Divide would be about 50+ miles with only 3 on a paved road and maybe or 9 on dirt roads. The rest would be ST and DT.

It may be tougher to put together an interesting 24 hour course since you'd end up riding a lot of dirt road on any loops that stayed away from pavement.

Look out!
    Endurance racing is something I would like to try out. Perhaps Ron Dillon of Wild Rockies, and or, Davey and Cynthia at Knobby Tires, could put one together here in Southwest Idaho. Brad Duke and the Duke Speed Foundation could be another option. I wonder if any of them lurk hereabouts? Seems like it could be great fun.
    Ride the bike.

Tracking up the place
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarydave
    Hi,

I apologize in advance for the semi-rant disguised as a plea for help. Just planting a seed, let's see what grows from it.

Can any of you provide local knowledge on the endurance racing scene, or apparent lack thereof, in your area. A quick search reveals only the Laramie Enduro way over in southeast Wyoming. With all the amazing terrain available it seems a shame not to have a 100-mile race available. Or are you guys just being greedy with the goods?

Cheers,
    Dave

Yes we are greedy pigs....There is just limited minds around here....I do the Enduro and the D50...I hope to have point to point race from Sundance to Cook Lake up here in our woods. But I m still mapping out trails to get connected...maybe a 100miler by the time we are done.. well see...Other than that check out our site...if your interested in 35 miles and little over 7000ft climbing
    Last edited by Haroow; 01-28-2006 at 06:05 PM.
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

Salad Days
    The 24 hours of Rapelje near Billings Montana is pretty fun. I definately agree with Dir-T, it would be easy to make a 50 mile race at least in Bozeman. A true epic sufferfest would be Big sky to Bozeman over hyalite peak, but it would be tough to get insurance for that sort of thing

http://visitmt.com/categories/morein...15554&SiteId=1

I think it would be fun to put on an enduro, but I think I am alone in this. I've actually been thinking about trying to put on one in Idaho, but I would need some help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

paging Chad @ Red Barn Bicycles

..... any info/thoughts on the topic? I thought you'd be all over this one.

Cheers,
    Dave

mtbr member
    ..... any info/thoughts on the topic? I thought you'd be all over this one.

Cheers,
    Dave

Greetings Dave......a few of us in SW montana have been entertaining serious thoughts of hosting an endurance event/race, we do have a location and giant sized loop semi-figured out, but trying to jump through all of the hoops have proven to be a little bit difficult and time consuming. It has serious potential to be an arse kicker on 100% singletrack.

Some of the same trails that we took you guys on last summer might be included. Did you like that stuff ?

I've also heard quiet news that there may be a similiar event in the whitefish region this next fall. Stay tuned to Montana Racing Org

take care, Chad

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

keep me posted

Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    It has serious potential to be an arse kicker on 100% singletrack. Some of the same trails that we took you guys on last summer might be included. Did you like that stuff ?
    Funny you should ask. I had that ride in mind when thinking about the fantastic terrain available in the area. And if you have to ask if I liked that stuff you must be forgetting the big grin on my face when we got back to the vehicles. If you're feeling the urge to hammer out 2-3 days on those trails this spring I could be persuaded to chase your wheel. And I'll bring the post-ride pops this time.

[/QUOTE]I've also heard quiet news that there may be a similiar event in the whitefish region this next fall. Stay tuned to Montana Racing Org

Thanks for the tip, that's just what I was hoping to see.

See 'ya,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Another vote for Bozeman & Sun Valley events

Selfishly, I too would love to see some 50-100 miles races near Bozeman, Sun Valley, and Jackson/Teton Valley.

The E100 events and the Laramie Enduro are great events, and I have traveled to both of them, but having more races within an easy day's drive would be great.

Don't worry, be happy!

just a thought

Don't the guys at Vertical Earth in CDA run some endurance-type races up on the trails around the NF Coeur d'Alene river? Might be worth checking into....
    yep just read it "norba length marathon"
    http://www.verticalearth.com/index.cfm

http://www.verticalearth.com/index.cfm?page=details.cfm

how 'bout a 12 hr on the Galena Grinder course? I'd love to set that up. I know it would be a pain to organize, but it would be fun too.

JRA
    mtbr member

WA idea

I had a 50 mile (~9 to 10k of climbing) figure 8 loop figured out about an hour east of Seattle. It would take a bunch of help to put it on but its at least possible.

Big Sky to Bozeman? SCHWEET!!

banned
    Greetings Dave......a few of us in SW montana have been entertaining serious thoughts of hosting an endurance event/race, we do have a location and giant sized loop semi-figured out, but trying to jump through all of the hoops have proven to be a little bit difficult and time consuming. It has serious potential to be an arse kicker on 100% singletrack.
    hey Chad, what are you considering for the loop? what trails, what area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    hey Chad, what are you considering for the loop? what trails, what area?

mainly just a few ideas, but nothing set in concrete Gonz., but i was thinking that staging something from Cheif Joseph Pass would be ideal. Ever done any riding down in this area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroow
    Yes we are greedy pigs....There is just limited minds around here....I do the Enduro and the D50...I hope to have point to point race from Sundance to Cook Lake up here in our woods. But I m still mapping out trails to get connected...maybe a 100miler by the time we are done.. well see...Other than that check out our site...if your interested in 35 miles and little over 7000ft climbing

I gotta try harder this summer to make it out to your event.
    Last edited by nwmtb; 02-03-2006 at 11:09 AM.

banned
    mainly just a few ideas, but nothing set in concrete Gonz., but i was thinking that staging something from Cheif Joseph Pass would be ideal. Ever done any riding down in this area?
    Overwhich Falls, Sleeping Child drainage, Coyote Coulee, Lake Como, Camas Lake, Canyon Creek, Blue Joint/JTR, that's it I think.

I'm sure you'd get a fair number of folks from Missoula for such a thing.

banned
    The T.O.M. reportedly sold all 800 spots in hours this year, 6 months in advance of race day. Cheers, Dave
    Dave, if you haven't ever done the ToM, try to do it next year. I missed the reg this year but rode it last year, it was tough but endless fun. in a dry year it would be almost ridiculously fun even for the length/difficulty torture it hands you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

re: Test of Metal

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Dave, if you haven't ever done the ToM, try to do it next year. I missed the reg this year but rode it last year, it was tough but endless fun. in a dry year it would be almost ridiculously fun even for the length/difficulty torture it hands you.

Gonzo,

I've got number plates, mostly mud splattered, from 6 out of the past 7 TOM's in a box in my bike room. I agree with you, in a dry year it is a blast and the true Canadian epic under any conditions. When the Ring Creek Rip and Powerhouse Plunge are in good shape (not snot slick as usual) the race is just too much fun.... until you start the climb in Crumpit Woods. They don't call it Crampit Woods for no reason. I've seen grown men laying on the hillside in tears, curled up in a fetal position, legs twitching, begging for a bullet to end their misery.
    My wife, obviously a glutton for punishment, took on the TOM as her first ever MTB race in '99. We have a great photo of the two of us standing in our rain jackets at the start line, looking like we are on the final march to the gallows as the relentless showers work their magic on the trail. Every year we vow, minutes after crosing the finish line, that "I'm never doing this farking race again!". Then of course the next year we sign up like the addicts we are.
    My favourite TOM memory is coming out of Crumpit Woods in the heat of the afternoon, hammering on the pavement through the residential area before the rockslab trail section under the climbing cliffs. I had to ask other racers if they had the same halucination I did. Four very attractive suburban ladies in bikinis sitting in a row on lawn chairs, a cooler of cold beer at their side, and spraying a very welcome garden hose on those who wanted some relief from the heat. Very nice support from the local citizens!
    What was your favourite part of the race last year? The chainsuck inducing mud perhaps? That was so sweet!

This year I'm looking for a change, hence the callout for some suffering south of the border. The E100 is looking like a good option, the 100km version as a recon mission before maybe jumping into the full-on 100 miler next year.
    I'm hopeful that the Whitefish race Chad mentioned is going to happen. It's only a 5 hour drive from my place and I've heard some good things about the riding there. Any excuse for a road trip works for me.

Cheers,
    Dave

banned
    so you know about last year's foot-deep peanut butter in Crumpit Woods, eh? yeah, my thoughts of death and defeat were many in that last section. walked more than I thought I should, because it wasn't steep or unrideable pitch-wise or terrain-wise other than that ugly peanut butter deep mud. even with that and the chillier temps I had a blast. enough that I rode the Shore the next day.

favorite part was the first somewhat techie descent, where I enjoyed moving along pretty well and negotiating the stuff that people were walking, but it would have been more fun if it weren't so plugged with riders.

the number of people who stood in that cold chilly rain all day just stunned me. the town really gets into the ToM. that's why I wanted to go back this year. unfortunately I had a hard drive crash/wipe during the fall and I switched ISPs. never got the reminder on the sign-up. when I finally got the reminder from someone else it was the late morning on the day of registration, and I didn't get in early enough.

mtbr member

Long Tour-Cycle Idaho-June 17-18, 2006

The 9th Annual Boise to Idaho City Mountain Bike Tour (June 17-18, 2006 Fathers Day Weekend) will combine a GPS Corporate Challenge this year to raise money for the Boise Sprockids Bicycle Mechanics School. (Kids who need job training skills)

Not a Race but 45 miles each way 4500+ climbing elevation, Libations, Food, Fun and Fellowship. 90 miles or more if extended single track is taken and close to 10,000 feet over two days.

We are looking at an extended route of 100+ miles Boise to Tamarack Resort for 2008.

What would be a reasonable route/Tour cost for such an adventure and would you want to "Race" it or make it a Tour?

Let us know how you feel:

Harley Parson
    c/o
    www.cycleidaho.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Whitefish locals?

[/QUOTE] I've also heard quiet news that there may be a similiar event in the whitefish region this next fall. Stay tuned to Montana Racing Org [/QUOTE]

Are there any Whitefish locals with some info on this potential race? Give a snowed in northern bro' something to look forward to this summer.

Dave

Dave, The Cascade Cream Puff is on. You should see if you can get in. It only has 18k of climbing in the 100miles. Ouch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast