Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

The end of mtn biking on Hulls Gulch?

On the survey, I did indicate NO closures, but frankly my ride on that trail tonight, like my rides on that trail almost every time I can remember is one of, well, why bother, and I bet I'm not only one who feels that way. You can't really ride down it very fast at all anymore. To be honest, I would not mind at all see it made one way uphill of course and the section of 4 from the top of Sidewinder made one way downhill. At least that way you don't have to ride half ass on either trail.

It was a really nice afternoon/evening again and by the looks of it going to be awesome weather this weekend - the trails should be nice and loamy.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Upset

the survey listed types of activities one was partaking in on Saturday. Off-roading was on
    the list. I ride a dirt bike so I went by the 8th street parking area that off-roaders use
    as a staging area. There were no survey people there. Talk about biased against off
    road enthusiasts. There was not a shortage of survey representatives from the bottom
    of hulls down to camels back park, 4 survey groups with clip boards. So much for
    wanting input from all users. must be acorn types putting on the survey.
    and save the lame excuses

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    To be honest, I would not mind at all see it made one way uphill of course and the section of 4 from the top of Sidewinder made one way downhill. At least that way you don't have to ride half ass on either trail.
    FAIL.

Look out!
    GIGO.

Garbage in Garbage out. To keep the status quo mountain bikers better pack any and all meetings on future use of R2R trails.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Epic Fail!

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    FAIL.

Well, maybe so if that is a slippery slope. I DID say I put NO to any restrictions on the survey. There is one trail down in S. Ca called Whiting Ranch where the main climb section up to singletrack and the fun stuff is one way, there have been no closures and it has been good. I guess if the city is hungry to completely close trails HERE, than my thoughts above are not good. How presume to know? the notes from that city council meeting?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Me thinks mtnbkrdr98 needs to take all his money, every last penny, and rush to the nearest store where he can buy a clue.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    regardless of whether or not we agree with him, maybe this thread should turn into more of a debate than a total discount of his idea. There is a lot of loftiness to the deliveries of ideas on this site and mabye some people need convincing. Convince them, don't just blow them off. Earthpig has spent the last year plus spewing nothing but cr@p on here and to be honest, I blow him off for simply because of the waste he has contributed in the past and I cannot take him seriously (his own fault). I respect Twisted but he has also gone down the path of less than productive posting also.
    The OP obviously posted his thoughts because he wanted to express his experience and the idea he generated based on that experience. Discuss that with him and debate the other points of view, don't expect him to change his mind based on your experiences if you haven't communicated them.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    - the trails should be nice and loamy.
    Loam is soil composed of sand, silt, and clay in relatively even concentration (about 40-40-20% concentration respectively), considered ideal for gardening and agricultural uses. Loam soils generally contain more nutrients and humus than sandy soils, have better infiltration and drainage than silty soils, and are easier to till than clay soils.

Loams are gritty, moist, and retain water easily. Loam is ideal for growing crops because it retains nutrients well and retains water while still allowing the water to flow freely. This soil is found in a majority of successful farms in regions around the world known for their fertile land. Loam soil feels mellow and is easy to work over a wide range of moisture conditions.

Different proportions of sand, silt, and clay give rise to types of loam soils: sandy loam, silty loam, clay loam, sandy clay loam, silty clay loam, and loam. A soil dominated by one or two of the three particle size groups can behave like loam if it has a strong granular structure, promoted by a high content of organic matter. However, a soil that meets the textural definition of loam can lose its characteristic desirable qualities when it is compacted, depleted of organic matter, or has clay dispersed throughout its fine-earth fraction.

Foothills trail are not "loamy", have never been "loamy" and will never be "loamy". Ipso facto mtnbkrdr98 may need some stimulus funding to buy that clue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    touche

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yeah that's cool. Thanks Cody.

Geoff and Dirk believe the city council or RtoR or whoever is out to get us and any closures are a slippery slope. Let me restate what I said: I PUT NO TO ANY CLOSURES OR RESTRICTIONS. But, based on my experiences that were freshened last night, I would be for Hull UP and 4 from Sidewinder DOWN.

Trails should be nice and loamy this weekend after the rains and some sun and wind!

Enjoy, All.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Everyone says it's a slippery slope with any type of regulation. I'll fully admit that I wrote that maybe directional trail travel and user groups on certain numbered days can be a solution. Sorry if I ruined mountain biking for everyone in the foothills forever.

Pretty lame that because someone's OPINION must be wrong if it doesn't fit with someone elses.

Yeah- I'm looking at you earthpig.

My survey was my opinion and if that screws with what the righteous mountain bikers around here think, well, it is what it is.

What is so bad about peds one day, bikers the next? Or, what is wrong with a couple of directional trails as long as they are not always the same direction? I think most people would agree that riding up Hull's would be nice if you didn't have to worry about some idiot flowing a blind corner at mach looney and taking you out. Wouldn't it be nice to ride mach looney without having to yield every couple hundred yards?

I get it. Regulation leads to more regulation. The committees are biased, the survey was biased, less government, and so on. That's what I hear you guys say all the time.

Do I think that FCAC has their collective head up their ass? Yeah. If I were on their side, would I think same about us? Probably so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What do you gain by making that part of trail 4 one way?

I don't want to see Hull's made one way. Just choose to ride it when people aren't walking it.
    Idaho

BMX:Our Shining Future

Oh leave it aloam

oh give me a home
    where the doggies do roam
    where the dear and the mountain bikes stray

WHERE SELDOM IS HEARD
    A DISCOURAGING WORD

and the roads
    they are loamy
    all day
    Attached Images Attached Images

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    oh give me a home
    where the doggies do roam
    where the dear and the mountain bikes stray

WHERE SELDOM IS HEARD
    A DISCOURAGING WORD

and the roads
    they are loamy
    all day
    I love me some Continental tires.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

BMX:Our Shining Future

good ol twisted crank

recommended the conti diesels, as i recall, so i put a set on the slayer this spring. i've liked every conti i ever ran, great traction, fast, mostly though i like the feel of them, lots of shock absorption and a nice cornering tire. they look cool the treads. i sure do ride bicycles a lot more when the temperature starts to drop. and i'm finding the double suspended bike go-to when it comes to longer rides. probably the aching joints. hope everybody got some riding in this fine fall weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the new Gilbert Grape
    Trail 4 can't be a downhill only trail as motorcycles need to use it both directions for access. Also, since few people climb it, it's likely a non-issue. However...

On Hull's, I'm not sure if there are a large number of complaints out there. However, I try not to ride it downhill when the trails are crowded, because doing so is dumb. On a busy weekend or after work, the trail is packed and going fast is a good way to create conflict. Many riders come down it fast during peak hours, and yes they generate conflict - I for one wish that they weren't there. Should it be one-way uphill? I'd hope that common sense would say no, buy many riders do not have common sense. I can see the need to make it one-way. Do I support it? Not yet, but if the number of foothill users continues to increase and bikers do not use more common sense, then sure, it makes sense.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

jalepenio jimenez

Fruit of the Loam

Feels like mud pie in your britches.

And butt floss in yer crack.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    May 2004

Oh Golly Gee

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Me thinks mtnbkrdr98 needs to take all his money, every last penny, and rush to the nearest store where he can buy a clue.
    I'm sorry I even posted my thoughts; or, that I didn't post saying something like "what are your thoughts on solutions to crowding problem on Hulls, since the city apparently thinks trail controls are the only solution".

Also, I wonder how they are going to tabulate the survey.

As for Dirk,

dude, I'm sure you are very smart, talented, witty, etc, and you don't need to humiliate and / or antagonize people on this forum to make yourself look good. I don't know you very well OFF this board and sorry to say this but based on your demeanor ON this board, I do not care to. I remmeber you saying nice things to people ONE TIME, which was a post on here years ago around Christmas. Could hardly believe it was you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    On Hull's, I'm not sure if there are a large number of complaints out there. However, I try not to ride it downhill when the trails are crowded, because doing so is dumb. On a busy weekend or after work, the trail is packed and going fast is a good way to create conflict. Many riders come down it fast during peak hours, and yes they generate conflict - I for one wish that they weren't there. Should it be one-way uphill? I'd hope that common sense would say no, buy many riders do not have common sense. I can see the need to make it one-way. Do I support it? Not yet, but if the number of foothill users continues to increase and bikers do not use more common sense, then sure, it makes sense.
    this sums up my thoughts as well. If it is a busy day, or I think it may be, I ususally do not descent Hulls. Sometimes I do but I know going in that it is going to be a conservative pace and not get frustrated by the uphill traffic 'detracting' from my fun. It is a reality and I have accepted it. The super hot days, or the off peak hours and I am all over it. One of the most fun downs in the lower foothills and I would be very disappointed if I lost it. I think common sense is the only thing that needs to regulate the traffic. I really don't think there are many user conflicts and I think we are still a long way off this being an issue.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Loam is good on salad. Provides that oft-lacking gritty texture we all like so much.

And like this is a place to seriously "debate" anything other than salad toppings, merkins, spackle, cougars, hair bands, manpris, cowgirls, and the delusional nature of meth-addled ground rodents.

But that's just my opinion, you know.

Discuss.

(I'm with aenema. I don't ride Hulls downhill at crowded times and if I do, I understand that I must check my speed. Rather than permanently be told by the City or R2R that I am not allowed to ride down Hulls Gulch at any time, or even suggest that this is a good idea - which suggestion can then be used by said authority as support for an argument that "even mountain bikers want their use restricted" - I choose to use common sense. Remember - if you think they're out to get you, they probably are.)
    Last edited by Earthpig; 10-19-2009 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    I gotta say I can barely remember the last time I descended Hulls Gulch when it was not dark. For me personally, I ride it as an uphill during the day and a downhill at night. Works great, very rarely do I encounter people on it at night. Between the bell on my seat and my lights, the few people I do encounter are hiding in the bushes from whatever it is barreling down the trail at them. I prefer to use my common sense instead of having someone tell me when I can ride a trail or in what direction I can ride said trail. I fear that once they start putting these restrictions on our trails there will be no end in sight.

Back to your regularly scheduled salad
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Re-reading the hate here. And thinking about you haters.

Yeah, you, bishes.

Apparently, "debate" on this topic means "don't disagree with DARYL'S original proposition that trail restrictions are OK." My opinion (f*ck any and all trail closures and restrictions AND any suggestions of the same) is apparently not "OK" in this "debate." So, "debate," means "talk about trail closures or restrictions if you're generally OK with it, but if you are categorically against it, feck off." Nice. Are the Germans in charge of this forum?

Bottom line - when you agree to restrictions on your freedoms, you agree that those who "grant" those freedoms can take more away. Because the reduction of your rights is the "new normal." So, the new normal is you, me and aenemic are told we can't ride down or near Hulls on the fourth Wednesday of months starting with M. And then its all months. And then aenemic can't ride his Turner down any trail. Because that's the "new normal."

But, whatever. Opinions that aren't those of the groupthink are not welcome!! Sieg Heil! Close the trails! No other opinions wanted!!!!!!
    Last edited by Earthpig; 10-20-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw1
    I gotta say I can barely remember the last time I descended Hulls Gulch when it was not dark. For me personally, I ride it as an uphill during the day and a downhill at night. Works great, very rarely do I encounter people on it at night. Between the bell on my seat and my lights, the few people I do encounter are hiding in the bushes from whatever it is barreling down the trail at them. I prefer to use my common sense instead of having someone tell me when I can ride a trail or in what direction I can ride said trail. I fear that once they start putting these restrictions on our trails there will be no end in sight.

Back to your regularly scheduled salad
    That's pretty right on Rich. Sport a bell. Expect traffic on foot coming the other way. Ride when traffic will be minimal/non-existent. Yield appropriately. I like to let it rip coming down HG, but it's got to be with some discernment.

Not sure about the salad unless it's pasta salad. With feta and kalamata olives.

mtbr member
    i personally gave up on the foothills, because of all the angry looks...i follow the rules, and yield (i also always yield to downhill traffic), but seems to me that there is no solution to overcrowding....too many different user groups and subgroups who feel entitled. if you cant ride for fun, then what fun is it?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    On our deathbeds, as we begin to see the afterlife, we will be faced with the question:

"Did I compromise in defense of unrestricted singletrack?"

It is at that point that the choice either nirvana or eternity without substance will be offered to you. Your actions in defense of unrestricted singletrack will determine the disposition of you spirit.

Bonus points if you can say who dropped this tater in the parking lot.
    Last edited by Visicypher; 10-20-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Inappropriate content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast