mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help

Thought I would go ride the wood structures the other day, take a run down the DH line and do some jumps on lower Stormin. Here is what I found. Please help BAMBA and the City of Eagle make some repairs and clean up. A “World Class Bike Park” as it has been touted, deserves better than this. BAMBA NEWS 2012 BAMBA – Boise Area Mountain Bike Association
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-049.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-057.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-077.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-071.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-068.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-054.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-059.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-063.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-081.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-075.jpg  

Last edited by Wheelbender; 08-07-2012 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Some More

Pushed my bike up the Down Hill Line for run. I think the third rebuild of the line was done three months ago. Please clean up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-083.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-085.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-087.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-089.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-096.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-101.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-102.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-107.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-109.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-111.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

The last series of Photos

Stormin jump line and a few random shots. Is this really how we show our gratitude to the City of Eagle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-131.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-126.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-119.jpg  

Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-summer-2012-park-conditions-114.jpg  

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Wow. That's really pretty depressing. Good luck.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtnjam
    That truly is depressing. Considering the amount of time I volunteered to help build some of those features it kind of pisses me off that others haven't treated it with much respect. I'm not too worried about the weeds and stuff, but what gets me is the amount of work that has gone into the BMX track, which is really nice, but it seems the rest of the bike park has gone to crap in place of work on the BMX track.

I'm not surprised the teeter totter is down, but maybe there is a better engineered solution to make it a better build.

I remember trying to haul that big red metal sign up there, digging the post holes for it, and pretty much not seeing it get used.

What's the one with the tire in the middle? Is that the other "teeter"
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Kudos and Complaints

Sounds like we worked together on some of the same basic infrastructure at the park.

Yes that is the big “teeter” with the tire.

The weeds are nothing compared to the lack of commitment and maintenance from any proclaimed volunteer group and the City. But if the weeds do take over all is lost.

This park has been a disaster from the beginning. No public/rider/multiuser group opportunity for input or planning sessions, no initial feasibility study or market analysis, no geotechnical (soils) reports prior to trail work, no topographic survey, no comparable (bike park) costs studies for initial construction or ongoing maintenance cost projections, no well thought out master plan, no bike park guidelines, no pre-established park design standards, no safety guidelines, no risk management plan, no ongoing maintenance plan. All this should have been done before the first shovel turned dirt.

Everyone is so proud of the Alpine Bike Parks project in Boulder, CO, and rightfully so, go look over their web site and see what it really takes to do a job right. Services - Alpine Bike Parks - Bike Park and Trail Developers - PARKSTART™ PROGRAM

Gravity Logic does the same thing What We Do: Design, Development, Construction, Consulting | Gravity Logic Mountain Bike Park Design

Eagle was a learning opportunity for Alpine. They do quality work. When they finished and left town the local skilled riders completely butchered their work by cutting gaps into Alpine’s very safe and well done table top jumps.

So now the individuals responsible for all this selfish exclusionary vandalism slipped away into 501(c) 3 organization called Boise Area Mountain Bike Association (BAMBA). BAMBA, for the most part, has well meaning members.

I’m not knocking any one of the good guys and gals in BAMBA!!!!!!

BAMBA prepared a PowerPoint presentation for the City Council which outlines in detail why the park is in the shape it is as compared to the bike park industry leaders. The Eagle Bike Park came in cheaper $$$ than the others….that’s what we got alright “the cheapest”. The previous photos document that fact.

http://eaglebikepark.org/wp-content/...g-20110927.pdf

Boys, this ain’t your private playground, it belongs to everyone. The selfish actions by the few and lack of volunteer effort by the majority are driving away your supporters. I think I saw somewhere membership has gone from 95 to just over 60?

But what do I know, this is just my humble opinion and stuff I found on the Internet!

I just got an email from Mary at Eagle. I'll let you know what she had to say soon.

mtnjam
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    The weeds are nothing compared to the lack of commitment and maintenance from any proclaimed volunteer group and the City. But if the weeds do take over all is lost.
    I might just have to head out there this weekend with the weedeater brush attachment. At least it's a start. Maybe clean up a little of what I can.

Seemed like when we were working on that there was a huge amount of stoke and voluteer efforts by all involved. Yes, the problem that there has been and I think Ian addressed this with Brad years ago was the lack of organized volunteer maintenance efforts and infomation about scheduled volunteer work days.

Did I build the "goalpost" drop with you up at Bogus years ago?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

The Grouch or Maybe The Grinch

No Goal Post Drop building for me, though I do enjoy riding the drops at the Bike Park. I’m just a 53 year old grouch trying to get in my last "airborne thrills" before vertigo, blindness, deafness, and arthritis put me in the 4-wheel drive Hoveround. Here's a photo from my Passport.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Wheelbender; 08-09-2012 at 02:50 PM.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    All the other low elevation trail are in bung condition now as well.

These other trails merely suffer from overuse though. Whereas the prance park trails just get vandalized by neglect. That, and a Kafkaesque sun that causes them to rot in place.

Shame.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Permission Needed Before Working at the Park

[QUOTE=ryman;9577534]I might just have to head out there this weekend with the weedeater brush attachment. At least it's a start. Maybe clean up a little of what I can.

Before assembling a work party you had better get permission from "Mary" at the City. They expect quality work and will definitely come check on it when done to make sure it meets their standards.

May 3, 2012 - BAMBA Web Page:
    Note from Eagle City Council member Mary Defayette:

Hello BAMBA Members:

I just wanted to provide a brief update on the exciting progress we have been making towards our goal of making the Eagle Bike Park a marquee recreational destination. As I mentioned before, the City of Eagle committed to make a contribution of $8,000 towards the ongoing maintenance of the bike park once we signed a land use agreement with the county. I am happy to report that the city and county are very close to finalizing that agreement and we should be able to report final progress on that project within the next month. As part of that agreement, the City and our attorney have been working very close with the BAMBA board in crafting our overall maintenance strategy for the 2012 biking season.

At a high level, we have agreed that the contribution of $8,000 will be used to fund 1-2 part time trail coordinators and associated materials needed to perform basic trail maintenance at the park. One of the keystones of our strategy will be the volunteer process we are creating for groups like BAMBA to become involved in at the park. Once the agreement is in place, all trail projects will need to be coordinated with our trail managers. This means if you want to do trail maintenance, have trail improvement ideas or simply want to donate time and/or materials, you can meet with a coordinator, explain your ideas and work out a plan to get that project done. There are several benefits to working with our trail coordinator(s).
    •The overall quality and consistency of trail maintenance will improve since the trail coordinator(s) will have a park-wide maintenance plan and will be able to prioritize your proposed project into the overall plan
    •No duplication of projects will occur since each project will be coordinated through one channel
    •IMBA guidelines will be followed which will raise the level of safety and trail quality at the park

Speaking of volunteering, if you want to get a head start on making a difference at the park, please email the trail coordinator(s) at trails@eaglebikepark.org

Trail Crew:

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Such big words.....Kafkaesque.

Went to the park to do some "prancing" this morning and it looks like we have a new threat.....the OCCUPY GROUP is taking over. I hope they are good with a saw and hammer.

Or, it could be the new maintenance shed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eagle Idaho “World Class Bike Park” Needs Your Help-occupy-bike-park-035.jpg  

mtnjam
    Before assembling a work party you had better get permission from "Mary" at the City. They expect quality work and will definitely come check on it when done to make sure it meets their standards.
    then screw it...I was just thinking of going over there and mowing down some of the weeds around the skills park, but if it has to be done with approval from "Mary" then I don't want to be any part of it.

Sure, organized volunteer efforts I'll participate in, but general weed pulling/mowing seems kind of ridiculous to have to have approved.

If work has to be "approved" by the city, then why aren't they checking to see if all the crap laying around gets picked up or is "Mary" just someone with the city of Eagle trying to justify their "job"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

I Hope This Is My Last Rant

Emailed the City of Eagle to request some assistance or direction. Here is the response:

Mark, we are on these issues. We still count on a lot of volunteerism to get the park taken care of. The new budget is calling for a Parks and Rec director! It's going to be great to have full time commitment to our parks and pathways.

Mary Defayette
    City of Eagle Council Member

Go to City of Eagle Website and Express Yourself to the Mayor and Council

http://cityofeagle.com/index.asp?Type=B_DIR&SEC={6907A1E2-D95A-41EF-91D1-CA12F84ECC60}

The trail reconstruction and sponsored events have been finished since May of this year and the City says they are "on these issues". Some of the trash, such as the blocks, rocks, posts, etc. have been there for a year or two. Left-overs from an Eagle Scout projects, or the remains of previous mistakes. A couple of “Condemned and Closed for Unsafe Conditions” signs around the wood structures might be in order. Isn’t it time to take down the erosion control fabric and posts around the VeloPit? Weeds are good erosion control aren’t they?

I’ve heard (no confirmation) around $20,000 was spent on the maintenance, trail weeding and reconstruction this past spring across the park so all of 25 riders can do one downhill race, along with some weeding and dirt reshaping on the 4X course, also a few gaps filled in on the Stormin line. Nothing is really any better or different. Rider count and accessibility HAVE NOT been increased as promised by this work. The DH course has been rebuilt 3 times now because a group, who had no idea what they were doing, botched it the first 2 times. I believe the BAMBA website states Alpine Bike Parks was paid to fix it for them this past spring. And look at the mess Alpine or was it BAMBA, left behind. Who was in charge of cleanup? Maybe the City agreed to do it…..could have been some Church Group was assigned this task. I guess we’ll never know.

Nobody used the 4X course for what it was intended (maybe 2 races 3 years ago) and it became a weed patch with a single track line down the middle. We will all be watching to see if the “volunteers” can keep it open and weed free next year. The Stormin Line was poorly designed from the start (Not an Alpine project for sure), you have to peddle your butt off just to keep enough speed from one jump to the next, peddle, peddle, peddle……on a downhill recreational jump line, how fun is that? Not all the gaps were filled in as promised to make it halfway accessible by more riders.

I've been riding the park all summer, all hours of the day, except close to my bedtime (I’m old I get tired early), all days of week and have seen fewer riders than in all the previous years of the park’s existence. Why? Because the smallest and most vocal group of riders demanded the majority of the trails and features be built in a manner that precluded all but the most highly skilled riders from enjoying them. All the money went to pay for improvements for this select group of riders, the big jumpers, the highly skilled or the high risk takers (teenage boys). And look at how they show their gratitude. The “volunteers” should ask for nothing more than water to pack down the dirt and keep the corners in place during the summer. All the rest of the building, maintenance and construction of trails, jumps and wood features should come from their own pocket and their own time. Don’t forget, the City and County gave you the land to build on and the City carries the insurance. Kinda sounds like Obama should get involved here....We Are Hoping for Change. Quit asking for more! You can’t take care of what you have.

The City of Eagle and their “volunteers” should come together and figure out how to make this place more accessible to the average rider and newbie jumpers who crave a new experience but without the unnecessary risks (Big Gaps), or falling from high places (Elevated Structures). Big Skills can be developed without having to take big risks!!! Go ride Teton Village in Jackson Wyoming and the Canyons Bike Park in Park City. They’ve got it nailed. This is how you increase ridership and the “volunteer” base. The sport itself, and volunteer groups do not grow by catering to a handful of the ELITE skilled riders. They have proven themselves to be an uncommitted and unreliable maintenance group.

I’ve emailed Mary with a request for the new park maintenance plan mentioned on the BABMA web site. I’ll post it if I get a digital copy. Also, I will gladly include photos of the completed cleanup work and will be the first to congratulate a job well done. After all, I do give out five compliments a year. I’ve only got two remaining, better hurry.

Again, BAMBA members, go to Facebook…do a “Group Hug” and all will be well again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ryman

this is idaho, just go do it. screw the politically correct bs. just get er done.

mtbr member
    Sometimes my spray bottle of Roundup just "leaks"...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    Sometimes my spray bottle of Roundup just "leaks"...
    What's your license number and your insurance carrier?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Update

8/23/12 - took a ride this morning and noticed the City has hired a private landscape maintenance company to pull and cut weeds along Horseshoe Bend Road and within the parking area next to the BMX track. Someone has sprayed and flagged a few of the broken down wood structures with fluorescent orange paint and tape. Some progress, but unfortunately most of the other mess is still there.

A coworkers 15 year son and a buddy went to ride the wood structures last week after reading an article in the local town magazine about three old guys who huck it at the park. The kid is a top notch downhill ski racer, wrestles, plays field hockey and is on the football team. They strapped on their GroPro cameras and we got watch two different views of the kid riding his bike off the smallest of the three wood drops. As typical 15 year kids do, they did it without any instruction, without ever seeing it done before and with full on cross country bike setups. The kid mounted his bike, took on a weight forward downhill ski racer attack stance and proceeded to ride a front wheel wheelie to the bottom of the landing eventually launching over the bars and breaking his collar bone into five pieces, one nearly puncturing his lung.

Makes you think about installing better signage depicting proper bike setup and strongly encouraging professional instruction before attempting any of the stunts or features. Does anyone offer classes covering the skills needed to ride that stuff? Just some thoughts and questions from someone who knows nothing.

Forgot to add this great instructional video:
    Jackson's drop Video - Pinkbike
    Last edited by Wheelbender; 08-23-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    8/23/12 - took a ride this morning and noticed the City has hired a private landscape maintenance company to pull and cut weeds along Horseshoe Bend Road and within the parking area next to the BMX track. Someone has sprayed and flagged a few of the broken down wood structures with fluorescent orange paint and tape. Some progress, but unfortunately most of the other mess is still there.

A coworkers 15 year son and a buddy went to ride the wood structures last week after reading an article in the local town magazine about three old guys who huck it at the park. The kid is a top notch downhill ski racer, wrestles, plays field hockey and is on the football team. They strapped on their GroPro cameras and we got watch two different views of the kid riding his bike off the smallest of the three wood drops. As typical 15 year kids do, they did it without any instruction, without ever seeing it done before and with full on cross country bike setups. The kid mounted his bike, took on a weight forward downhill ski racer attack stance and proceeded to ride a front wheel wheelie to the bottom of the landing eventually launching over the bars and breaking his collar bone into five pieces, one nearly puncturing his lung.

Makes you think about installing better signage depicting proper bike setup and strongly encouraging professional instruction before attempting any of the stunts or features. Does anyone offer classes covering the skills needed to ride that stuff? Just some thoughts and questions from someone who knows nothing.

Forgot to add this great instructional video:
    Jackson's drop Video - Pinkbike
    I have zero sympathy for that kid. I am fed up with the fact that we have to cover ourselves by telling people what they should and shouldn't ride.

It's sad that we live in a place where his parents could go and sue because he was riding over his abilities. I recently rode up in BC and the stuff they can build is amazing. Also if someone tries to sue when they get hurt, it goes to a judge and the case is nearly always thrown out because the rider knew they were risking getting hurt when they decided to drop a line.

There needs to be more accountability placed on the rider. (granted this little dude is under 18). But when someone decides to ride a given trail, they should know if something is within their abilities. And if ever in question... Always get off and scout and ride within your (and your bikes) abilities.

Not to say that there arnt things that could be better about the bike park. Everything can always be better. There is never anything perfect. But spending resources to tell people what bikes they should and shouldn't ride seams excessive. If we tried to tell everyone on a department store bike that they shouldn't ride at the bike park them we would be talking about quite a bit of the traffic the bike park sees.

Edit: I came off a bit harsh. But I hate that people are not accountable for their actions. When I broke my wrist, I was not going after Spokane county because the dirt jumps kicked me wrong or they didn't try and warn me that my bike was or wasn't capable or even that they hadn't marked the jumps as "expert only". I knew it was no one's fault but my own for not scouting a jump since the last time I had ridden there.

I wasn't going to be litigious when I got knocked out at willow lane last year and ruined a brand new carbon fiber full face because a kid ran out in front of me on a landing. I knew the kid shouldn't have been there, but I also took the risk when I dropped in knowing that something could happen when I saw kids in the area.

So I don't feel bad for the kid due to the fact that he got hurt. I feel bad because he will miss out on riding.

But I was (still am) young and dumb and I knew biking was a dangerous sport from the time I tipped over when I was 4. I have always known that I could get seriously hurt riding. And it's a risk that I accept every time I get on my bike.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by swan3609; 08-24-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Young and Dumb

I never mentioned attorneys, lawsuits or going after any government entity, just pointing out what these manmade structures can do to people without the skills or the common sense to work out the skills needed beforehand and how some good basic signage with images of the techniques required or bike setup might benefit or better warn the potential user of the risks. If this is really a “World Class” bike park as them claim, then they should meet world class standards. As it is, the skills park and jump lines are just a haphazard neighborhood weed patch with no real financial backing or commitment from its supporters to maintain a sane and inviting environment.

I'd better quit now before I cause hurt feelings or be accused of soap boxing again.

Work to make it better!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Some ugly first-world problems you monkeys got there.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Yard Work

Drove by and took a quick look at the park yesterday. Some weeds had been mowed down and a commercial crew was out whacking more. Good things do come from a few photos and properly placed requests to city officials. Looking better. Still more to do.

Also taking taxpayer money out of government control to hire small local businesses for weed work stimulates the economy. Good all around. I do miss the weed eating goats though....they were so cute.

NEWS FLASH..!..!..! NEWS FLASH..!..!..! NEWS FLASH..!..!..!

Eagle Bike Park FACEBOOK

4 hours ago.

As part of the ongoing improvements at the Eagle Bike Park, the City will be tearing down the battered wood skills park. Many thanks to Sonse and several other volunteers for the hours of work they put into the track, providing countless hours of fun for so many bikers. Look for improvements to the park coming soon with the addition of a new Parks and Rec department this fall.
    Last edited by Wheelbender; 08-28-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: NEWS FLASH

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been wanting to hit this park for a couple years now but it has never come together (I'm on the east edge of Idaho). Good to hear its getting a tune up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My compliments on the very well done clean-up efforts. George Bailey has done it again.

Pro Lurker
    Oct 2012
    Thanks to this site for turning me on to the eagle bike park! I went for a ride yesterday to test out my new 2013 Specialized and figured I would go out and check out the park. When I arrived at the park I was blown away. Right off the bat I went and hit up the track and tried my hand at dirt jumping on my P.street one witch is set up from Specialized for DJ. After that I decided to try and hit the trails up and see what they had to offer. I met a few riders up there decided to follow them up and then back down some trails. Turns out my dirt jumper set up inst all that great for trail riding! lol The street tires made the trails feel like I was riding on ice but I over came and managed not to take a ride over the handle bars ect.
    I have spent a lot of time up on 8th street on my old kona and really wish I had known about the Eagle park before I bought my Dirt Jumper. I think its time to start looking at a Dh bike so I can have fun up at eagle instead of worrying about loosing traction on my dirt jumper with street tires. I thought that the park out in Eagle was well kept and the trails were Awesome! I will be going to the Eagle park more often now that I know about it. I want to thank whoever set this park up its a great place to ride! If you live in Idaho I recommend checking this place out if you haven't already!!
    2013 Specialized P.street one-DD

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    While the park has experienced some difficult challenges, it appears to me making progress. The city and local support group are working on a Master Plan and Risk Assessment evaluation with a bike park design professional. It will continue to be a diamond in the rough for some time, but the future looks great.