mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Dry/Shingle Creek to Mahalo and Back

I've done Dry Creek but never Shingle Creek or Mahalo. I was planning to park at the bottom of Dry Creek and go up either Dry Creek or Shingle Creek, go up to Mahalo, then come back down either Dry Creek or Shingle Creek. A couple of questions:

1. Is it better to go up Dry Creek or Shingle Creek?
    2. For Shingle Creek, it looks like there are two routes according to this link dblblack posted in another thread. Is one not technically Shingle Creek? I've always thought Shingle Creek was where you take the trail from ridge road and it T's where you go right for Dry Creek and Left for Shingle. It looks like there's another trail before that though.
    3. Is it better to go down Dry Creek or Shingle Creek?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There's Hard Guy, Shingle Creek, and Dry Creek. To make matters more confusing, Hard Guy is labeled Shingle Creek, and there are indeed two Shingle Creek trails (upper and lower.) Lower starts at the ridge road, upper is if you go straight instead of the left to Dry Creek.

I'll let someone else comment on the best order...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm not sure what you mean about Hard Guy being labeled Shingle Creek. I've done Hard Guy quite a few times and have never seen that. Do you like upper or lower Shingle Creek better?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Ride up. When you get to a junction, take it.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwick84 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean about Hard Guy being labeled Shingle Creek.
    Ridge to rivers signage is fine. But next time you're at the top of hard guy, take a look at the NFS sign.

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    i always consider Hard Guy the best way to get to Dry Creek or Shingle Creek. (Although the easiest way would be to get a shuttle). Even though Hard Guy is a difficult climb, the upper parts of Dry Creek and Shingle Creek would be even more difficult. Lots of rocks, tree roots, plus pretty steep terrain. Unless you are a real mountain goat, you'd be pushing the bike on some of that.
    As to the two entries into Shingle Creek, the first one on your left as you leave ridge road is the "official" trail. The alternate one that I took and recorded on the GPS was a fun experiment, but the last couple hundred yards are a straight, steep bushwack down to the "official" trail. Also, I haven't done Shingle Creek this year, but the trail normally isn't as well travelled or maintained as Dry Creek. It doesn't have as many stream crossings though. (not sure how many there are on it).
    One final note: If you climb hard guy and take Ridge Road over to the entrance to Dry/Shingle creek, beware that the first left that you come to is NOT a true trailhead. It is a false jeep road that goes down a few hundred yards and then ends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dblblack View Post
    i always consider Hard Guy the best way to get to Dry Creek or Shingle Creek. (Although the easiest way would be to get a shuttle). Even though Hard Guy is a difficult climb, the upper parts of Dry Creek and Shingle Creek would be even more difficult. Lots of rocks, tree roots, plus pretty steep terrain. Unless you are a real mountain goat, you'd be pushing the bike on some of that.
    As to the two entries into Shingle Creek, the first one on your left as you leave ridge road is the "official" trail. The alternate one that I took and recorded on the GPS was a fun experiment, but the last couple hundred yards are a straight, steep bushwack down to the "official" trail. Also, I haven't done Shingle Creek this year, but the trail normally isn't as well travelled or maintained as Dry Creek. It doesn't have as many stream crossings though. (not sure how many there are on it).
    One final note: If you climb hard guy and take Ridge Road over to the entrance to Dry/Shingle creek, beware that the first left that you come to is NOT a true trailhead. It is a false jeep road that goes down a few hundred yards and then ends.
    Yeah I actually did Hard Guy to Dry Creek just the other weekend so I'm familiar with where each are at. I've just never done Shingle Creek so wasn't sure how it would be and was also just trying to think of ways to change it up a little. I've never done Mahalo either so I want to make sure I can get that in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    while i prefer climbing Dry Creek over Hard Guy, i would say that climbing Hard Guy to Mahalo and descending Dry Creek is one of the best loops (figure-8?) we have. how you exit Dry Creek (to bb road or left to Hard Guy-Corrals) to return home depends on your tolerance for asphalt. have fun out there.