mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Driggs/Jackson Epics

I am going to be in Jackson and Driggs this Monday and Tuesday.
    Any must do rides you would suggest trying out.

Many Thanks

Dude! You should save your legs for Montana.
    It all looked so flat on Google Earth!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheepfocker View Post
    I am going to be in Jackson and Driggs this Monday and Tuesday.
    Any must do rides you would suggest trying out.

Many Thanks
    Hard to make suggestions without knowing what kind of rides you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    We got a lot of rain the last couple days so trails will be really nice on mon and tue...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good to hear that it has been raining that way.
    How is the smoke lately?
    Riding a rigid ss 29er, I like most all mountain trails, of course flowy XC is great, and really dont mind some hike a bike.
    Just looking for what ever is the classic Driggs and Jackson rides, since I have two days would really like at least one epic 5 or 6 hour ride.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A good resource is this right here: Teton MTB

I'd suggest parking at Phillips Pass, halfway up/ down the Jackson side of Teton Pass: then ride out the Arrow Trail, down Phillips Canyon, then back up Phillips Ridge. Or park at the Stagecoach, ride up the singletrack from the old pass road parking lot, then finish at the bar.

For #2, so many good options in Teton Valley. One might be to park down in Teton Canyon at Mill Creek, ride up the 2 new reroutes to Targhee, where you can ride a m'zillion options- Ricks Basin, Lightning Loop, and so on. Then back down Mill Creek. Or add in Bustle Creek, Cold Springs, and so on. Great riding over there- actually headed for Mill Creek in an hour.

For a real backcountry epic ride, go to the BigHoles- the west side of the valley. Ride up S Fork of Horseshoe, then up to Elk Flats, down the S fork of Canyon Ck. At the junction, take the N fork of Canyon Creek back up to Relay Ridge and back down S Fork of Horseshoe. Incredible. That would be a great 6-hr epic. Only a little hike-a-bike, up to Elk Flats and then a little bit up to Relay Ridge. N Fork of Canyon Ck is great singletrack up or down.

Or the Spooky/ Corral/ Red Ck loop off Pine Ck Pass (but that is only 3 hrs or so)

There are also TVTAP guidebooks available at all the local bike shops, with mileage for each ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Smoke is all gone!

For long/epic flowy XC I think the Jackson side of the pass will probably be where you'll end up, I'm not too familiar with the riding over there so I'll let someone else chime in.

There are some big rides in the big holes (west side of teton valley/west of driggs) but there is plenty of granny ring time over there, and even then there is certainly some hiking.

For a shorter ride that is nice and flowy the horseshoe canyon loops are really nice, ~12 miles of trail there (not including the "freedom trail" which is another ~5 miles or so) with some granny ring (I know you're on a SS but just to give you an idea of the terrain) but a guy in good shape can middle ring everything there. Some vid of my favorite descent out there ---> PICT0001 - YouTube The upper portion of that has since been rerouted though, the reroute now comes in at 1:24, that trail is "channel lock".

Thanks for the suggestions! Mills Creek, Colter's Escape?, Lightning Ridge did not disappoint. Our start time was after 5:00 so we regretfully skipped Rick's Basin. An abbreviated out-and-back on Phillip's Ridge was also a great ride. Big time kudos to the trail designers and builders. I can't wait to get back out there next year.

And special thanks to Scott at Fitzgerald's Bikes for helping out with a bike repair in a pinch!!!
    It all looked so flat on Google Earth!

mtbr member
    @homemadesalsa

Thanks for the link to the site. I still have a lot of work to do to but it should be mostly complete by next summer.

Dana@ Teton MTB

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Dana, I am on a 100%, full balls to the wall, ride every day in new and glorious places schedule, but I promise when winters icy grip shuts us down, I will work on some trail descriptions with builder anecdotes, name histories, and other trail nerd accoutrement. In the meantime, anyone up for Pinnacle, or some other out of the way adventures next week?

mtbr member
    Wendell, sounds awesome! I would be all about riding Pinnacle before the season is over. I only have the weekends off and next Wed I'm leaving for Moab for a week. What's your schedule looking like this coming weekend?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone ever ride or hike a bike the ridge west of 9,279 foot elevation point on Black Canyon Trail? Was wondering about the possibility of doing a loop from Teton Pass to either Mosquito Pass or Mail Cabin Trail from Teton Pass southward.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Without a fairly epic hike-a-bike (bushwhack) , as far as I know you have to go up Mail Cabin-windy ridge-mud pass to get to mosquito. But I haven't been on that route in a long time. Better to do Mail Cabin-Pole Canyon (shuttle) or mail cabin-mike Sell (mike Harris). Or pole Canyon-mike Sell-Nemo's-Grumpy's...(loop)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    don't know about hiking from ellie to mail cabin, but mosquito to mike harris is doable. Good to fair dirtbike trail, not much hike a bike, fairly well marked(look for csd signs). It's been a few since I did it. Long shuttle, but great ride.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Exactly. To clarify, there is no 'trail' from Ely to Windy Ridge/Mosquito that (we?) are aware of. But hey, go explore, and let us know what you find!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    rideit and archie. Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to getting over there and doing some riding next summer. You've got some great trails.