Hi!!!

New question here. Do I NEED studded tires?

Yeah yeah...winter has passed and spring is trying to get here, but I'm already looking ahead to the 2006/2007 winter season . This past winter I didn't get in alot of riding, but that's another story. Anyhoo I have the Kenda order form at home and they sell studded tires (http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/wintertire.html). I was thinking of picking up a pair, but are they really needed here since we really don't get that much snow in the winter? Can't I just stick with my WTB Weirwolfs that I have now on the SS? And when the trails are frozen over, is there a noticeable difference in handling versus that of a non-studded tire?

For those of you with winter tires, do you only use those tires when there is snow and/or ice on the ground and other times just use regular tires?

roar
    BS... I rode all through the winter and didnt use winter or studded tires. We dont get tons of snow, so most of the winter the military reserve and around hulls is completely doable when frozen hard. G has a bike with winter tires, but he did most of his winter rides with his regular ol tires too. I think that unless you plan on breaking trail or riding up in the trees, you dont really need studded tires. Others might disagree, but I thoroughly enjoyed my winter riding on the same setup I use in the summer.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

mtbr member

Yes

I got a pair of studded tires (Nokian Mount and Ground) for commuting this winter. They're no help in deep snow - that's when you want something really fat for floatation - but indespensible on ice or on slush or snow that overlies ice. The difference is night and day.

I rode all winter and never ever slipped or spun my tires trying to leave intersections. When I finally took them off I slipped (but didn't fall) on my very first ride when I hit my brakes on a small patch of ice. I had gotten so used to awesome traction I forgot that ice is slippery.

The only downside is that they are heavy and loud when you do get onto dry pavement so if you're not going to be on trails at all try to get skinny tires with not too many studs. I went with Nokians because the carbide studs will last a lot longer than the steel studs on many other brands.

EDIT - I live north of you guys and we gets lots of snow and slop that eventually turns to ice and it's everywhere. If you're just riding on frozen ground all you need are your normal tires.
    Last edited by dir-T; 04-06-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Contagious Xian
    I only threw one yard sale (taking too fast a twisted little section on Owl's Roost nonetheless) on my Mutanoraptors this winter, although I've listened to the wiser counsel (pun intended) of Earthpig and will make sure I slap some kind of gnarly knobby on the front for next cold season. Those Mutanos rolled pretty well I think. Unless you're planning on riding the frozen dogkrap pond Nick, them things aint needed in Boise methinks.

local trails rider
    Studs have no effect on soft snow. They help a lot when you have ice or snow that has been packed hard as ice. Badly maintained bike paths with frozen ruts are the worst...

A few times in my life I have noticed that even an unstudded bike tyre is better on ice than my shoes. Go figure...