mtbr member

Dillon, MT area this weekend - rides ?

My company is taking a crew hunting in the Dillon area this weekend. I do not hunt so they have offered to ship my bike so I could ride while they are out chasing elk.

Are there any worth while rides within 1- 1.5 hours of Dillon? I am actually staying in the town of Jackson, MT but will have access to a truck to get to trail heads.

I am an advanced all mountain / xc trail rider.

any input would be appreciated.

cheers !

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Lots of rides around the Jackson Area although it may be a bit cool this weekend. If you can get access to a Forest Service map in Wisdom at the Wisdom Ranger Station, it will show trails. Some good areas close to Jackson are. Lower Miner Lakes trail #58 to upper Miner Lakes. This is just south and west of Jackson. The trail to Rock Island Lakes #9 just north of Miner Lakes is fun too. Just north of there is the Little Lake Creek Trail #87. Great Ride off the Miner Lakes access road. West of Wisdom about 16 miles is the May Creek Trail #103 which starts from the May Creek Campground. The Butler Creek Trail #66 is also a good ride. North of May Creek is the Elk Creek Trail #18. That is a great ride. In the Chief Joseph Pass area, west of Wisdom are several Trails with the CDT trail taking off to the north from the parking lot. Can do a long out and back on that one. These trails are all on National Forest Land. Tons of other opportunities too. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you. Enjoy the Jackson Hot Springs.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another source of information on rides from Chief Joseph Pass Area, west of Wisdom/Jackson, MT is this fellows great website. I believe most of the rides have gpx tracks or maps on everytrail.com or singletracks.com

Lost Trails: Chief Joe Pass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sidehiller1 View Post
    Another source of information on rides from Chief Joseph Pass Area, west of Wisdom/Jackson, MT is this fellows great website. I believe most of the rides have gpx tracks or maps on everytrail.com or singletracks.com

Lost Trails: Chief Joe Pass
    Thanks for all the good info !

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sidehiller got the beta for sure on that zone. FYI- We just rebuilt about 20 miles of trail from Miner to Hamby to Berry then all the way over to Jahnke Lake. If you have a forest map and have a decent sense of direction you can utilize alot of the old mining roads to make great loops or just have car waiting on one end. Great views in places and some of the single track is really good buff stuff. It will be a little rough in places but we did ride it alot on a dirtbike for the first 6 or so miles up from Miner. If it got precip it should be riding pretty good. So much potential in that zone. If I hadn't just spent the last 3 months out there I'd be headed there right now to ride!

mtbr member
    minor lake area has enough trail to keep a fella busy and like sidehiller mentioned very clost to Jackon ...grab a central beaverhead map and go. Blaze up in orange though as the bighole is busy during the hunting season. Also, check out Gravelle creek just north of minor. The Gravelle to overland to minor loop is a good one. Have fun.