suvlako

dhers coming to Boise with am bikes

Hello all,
    My wife and I are coming out to Boise for a wedding and we are bringing our bikes. We have 2013 Enduros and love to ride dh but don't mind working for a couple of hours if the dh is long and fast.. We're both reasonably fit and adept riders Been to the velopark (and will likely hit if up at least one day). My question is can someone recommend a ride or three that a dher at heart would really enjoy? I saw a post in the Boise sticky about shuttles to the top of bogus. Is this a fun option? Any suggestions for the surrounding areas would be appreciated too! And if someone doesn't mind showing us around, we'll bring the beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When are you coming? I'm gone the next few weekends, but could possibly show you around one day if I'm here when you come.

There are a few good shuttle options starting at Bogus. Mahalo/Dry Creek, and Eastside/Sweet Connie are two good ones. These are not true DH trails, but perfect for enduro/trail bikes. There is info on both these rides on the forums if you search, but some of the trails aren't shown on any maps. I could send you some .kmz tracks that you can view in google earth if you PM me your email address.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you don't mind your downs to have some pedaling in them, there are decent options for a couple of days. Our trails are typically fast and not so technical. Listed above by Lunchwagon are good options for fun, though I rode Connie last Friday and will not again because of the vegetation. It used to be a fantastic and fun trail but it is to overgrown to really enjoy. If you do run it, bring leg armor as you will be bleeding at the shins and knees if you do not from sage slapping you.

Do a run down Hard Guy (very fast) and when you hit Corrals trail turn left and pedal to top so you can descend Corrals and Bobs. Bobs is our most technical trail in lower footies and is super good.

You also have to ride down Hulls as it is an amazing trail but try to do it in off peak hours as it is also super busy and don't try to race it as there are a lot of hikers and blind corners.

Another fun option if you can get a shuttle in is down trail 4, turn left and descend trail 6 and then stay left onto the Curlew connector to come down 3 bears. 4 and 6 are moto trails so they are sandy but 6 is proper steep and Curlew/3 bears is fast with a rocky section that is fun to try to find as much speed as can be reached.

jalepenio jimenez
    shuttles to the top of bogus basin, that is shafer butte, don't exist. neither does riding a chairlift. but if you do get to the top, there is some good downhill to be had with a few different options to get you back down to the base elevation.
    check out the ridge to rivers trail map for your best source of info.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

suvlako
    Thanks guys. We will be in town tomorrow evening through Monday or Tuesday. Is there a fireroad or forest service road that climbs from the base to the top of bogus? Did I mention beer?

mtbr member
    The shuttle would be to the Bogus Resort parking lot - Then climb to the top and then go all the way back to town by one of the above routes.

mtbr member
    I trimed Connie's bush last year and looks like she needs another good wacking...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako View Post
    Thanks guys. We will be in town tomorrow evening through Monday or Tuesday. Is there a fireroad or forest service road that climbs from the base to the top of bogus? Did I mention beer?
    PM me on what evenings you are looking at and maybe we can coordinate something for a guided ride. I for sure can't do it Wednesdays and work till around 4:30 on weekdays.

jalepenio jimenez
    yes, beer is good.

bogus has paved roads, cat tracks and single track that will get you to the top.

they've developed new trails at the rate of about one a year, so there may be more to choose from than meets the eye. find a map.

way cooler up there, but still need ice for the brewskies.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    get your money's worth. Descend Dry Creek. It will take an hour or so versus the 9 minutes for Hard Guy. I would suggest the short climb up deer trail to around the mountain to the ridge road to mahalo to the ridge road to dry creek.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2 View Post
    get your money's worth. Descend Dry Creek. It will take an hour or so versus the 9 minutes for Hard Guy. I would suggest the short climb up deer trail to around the mountain to the ridge road to mahalo to the ridge road to dry creek.
    Yep, this.

Suvlako (and anyone else who wants to join), I can show you this route tonight if it works for you. I can't meet up until 6:30pm, but that will give us just enough time before it gets dark. Alternatively, I may be able to ride Friday morning if we start early. Let me know. Oh, and I like IPAs.

suvlako
    Lunchwagon,
    So bummed. Had a shite day that went till... 3mins ago and just got a chance to check my post. Are you Jess that sent me the kmz tracks? Does tomorrow(Thurs) work for you for a dry creek run?
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchwagon View Post
    Yep, this.

Suvlako (and anyone else who wants to join), I can show you this route tonight if it works for you. I can't meet up until 6:30pm, but that will give us just enough time before it gets dark. Alternatively, I may be able to ride Friday morning if we start early. Let me know. Oh, and I like IPAs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, that was me. I'm not able to ride tonight unfortunately, and then I'm leaving town tomorrow morning for a few days. Hopefully you can get a few decent rides in while you're here. Good luck.