mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Upset Curt Gowdy Gotten Easier?

Ever since Curt Gowdy opened the trails seemed gnarly. However now some sections of the trail rocks have been cut out and its not as gnarly as when it first opened. Does anyone feel the same way about it?

Curt Gowdy is still a fun place to ride, however the Snowies is still my favorite.

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Ever since Curt Gowdy opened the trails seemed gnarly. However now some sections of the trail rocks have been cut out and its not as gnarly as when it first opened. Does anyone feel the same way about it?
    The first time I rode it, it did seem gnarlier. Now it seems less gnarly. I chalk that up to my familiarity with the trails more than the nature of the trail itself- in my experience, every trail I've ever ridden, ever, has become easier the more I ride it.

I was up there this past weekend and didn't notice any attempt to dumb down the trails. If any changes are happening, it's primarily due to normal wear and tear.
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mo Rocka, and Stone temple trail has had some boulders removed and or cut.

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Mo Rocka, and Stone temple trail has had some boulders removed and or cut.
    On those I'm always looking for the more difficult alternate line anyway, so I guess I really haven't noticed. The hard parts of Mo Rocka didn't seem any easier when I was riding it on Sunday. And when I ride the Stone Temple route, I spend more time on Igneoramous, 2%, and the various play areas, so if a rock was cut out here or there on ST I probably wouldn't notice... I'm just cruising to the next play area... :-)
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I know they were doing work on lower Canyons to make it rideable, because it wasn't rideable before... I wouldn't call this making the trail easier, though.

Only thing I've notice is I've gotten better, so STC seems easier, haha. But I haven't noticed any major changes, aside from more paths around obstacles, which naturally happens because people can't stay on the trails and deal with the obstacles. You can still take the tougher lines, though

mtbr member
    I have been helping build trails out there (as sooshee already knows). I don't think there has been a conscious effort to make the upper loops easier. Many time users will remove rocks that easily movable, something that is obviously not cool to do. The area that was re-done after play area 1 (going clockwise from Aspen Grove parking lot) was done because it was eroding. What they did with the ledge is pretty cool I think. We almost finished the expansion of play area one. Play areas for people of all skill levels, also a cool way to mix up the start/finish of a Stone Temple ride.