Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Curt Gowdy Conditions

Anyone have an update for Curt Gowdy, Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dont plan on riding the good trails there till April or so. The lower res. trails might be dry by end of March. We just got dumped on here in Laramie, but the snow seems to be melting fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lower trails are 99% dry, uppers still have too much snow, according to GnarBrahWyo. This is of this afternoon

Laramie, Wyoming
    The snow is melting very quickly. I was riding on the Chimney Park trails above Woods Landing yesterday morning and came across some bear tracks. After my ride I drove back to Laramie, grabbed my snowshoes, and then headed back up to follow the tracks. Not only had the sun completely melted the tracks but the snow was so soft that snowshoes were useless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good news on the snow report alphazz. There is some good riding up in the snowies, hopefully the fire season is not bad this year.

Laramie, Wyoming
    The Gowdy riding will be better this year without this guy being up there, but there are others.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    LOL damn..I bet his ass was stalking me every now and then!

Went out for a really short ride today, def not rideable, even on shoreline there are some parts I found myself walking around or through the snow. End of April it is then, in the meantime I will send my fork and shock to push, and hit the trainer some more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ****! If thats real and i ever saw that on the trail i would probably never ride again.

Laramie, Wyoming
    It's real and once you are charged by one, it will change your hiking/biking habits. I never go without a gun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    It's real and once you are charged by one, it will change your hiking/biking habits. I never go without a gun.
    No way mountain lions don't get that big. What is that a 600lb lion.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Since you are from New Jersey, I'm going to assume you know a lot about mountain lions in Wyoming. It's a good size lion, but the photo does make it look larger than life. 600 lbs. would be larger than that.

Dudette
    LOL, admittedly, our cats don't get that big back east . There have been reports of sightings from time to time, but I don't think anything has been confirmed, not for years anyway. I'll admit, I was skeptical when I first saw the picture, but camera angles can do a great job at messing with our perceptions. Take a look on the 'net and you can find tons of pics with hunters and the cats they have taken, and some of those look quite large as well. I'd be freaked out riding the trails with that watching me. I have a good friend who rides Gowdy and hikes/camps, and he's never without his gun or bear spray. Gives us back east an appreciation for The Wild West!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Since you are from New Jersey, I'm going to assume you know a lot about mountain lions in Wyoming. It's a good size lion, but the photo does make it look larger than life. 600 lbs. would be larger than that.
    I might have to move back to NJ if i ever run into one. Seriously how big is that i thought mountain lions only could get to be tops 200lb, that thing looks like a lion from africa. Ill be carrying a gun next time i go to.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    The Gowdy riding will be better this year without this guy being up there, but there are others.
    In what way has the riding been improved? Have there been any recent attacks?

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    In what way has the riding been improved? Have there been any recent attacks?
    Well, I've been charged by a lion while on a trail here. And yes, recorded accounts of encounters, injuries or fatal attacks from mountain lions on humans are increasing in North America.

Jan 2008
    Well, I've been charged by a lion while on a trail here. And yes, recorded accounts of encounters, injuries or fatal attacks from mountain lions on humans are increasing in North America.
    So would the actual answer to my question be: there haven't been any recent attacks on humans at Curt Gowdy?

Fat Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    So would the actual answer to my question be: there haven't been any recent attacks on humans at Curt Gowdy?
    No attacks, just a few hair raising occurences while riding the park at night alone. probably was just a cow but scared me enough to stick to gravel at night for awhile.

PSA on the system trails: Trails are crap right now. Stay away. Do not attempt to ride there till June. Snow is 4 feet deep over most of the tracks, bring your snow shoes. Where the snow isn't, it's mud 5" deep.....blah blah blah

Whatever,
    the last 3 days have been great.
    ***Just stay on the trail people is all I ask*** or I will release the 3 hungry lions I keep in an underground cage near Aspen grove.
    Stay on the trails and you won't be attacked
    I'll be watching
    Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-BlogUpdated when I feel like it or when I get mail

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I must be the only person that doesn't get excited about mountain lions... maybe it's because I grew up in the mountains so I'm use to them roaming around?! I'm actually a huge cat lady, so that picture makes me sad. Totally not against hunting, grew up hunting elk, but don't agree with big cats being killed. Like I said, cat lady. Moving on... the cows are way scarier. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I've noticed a lot of "re-routing" on STC when I rode back in February. Quite sad, I agree, stay on the damn trail! If you don't want to get muddy, pick up a different hobby than mountain biking for goodness sakes!

Because I do not like hiking through snow, I think I'm sticking with stuff around FoCO for now...

Fat Biker
    Well, I did some searching on this so called cat killed locally. It was not. It was killed in Alberta Canada by the guy on the right who lives in Alberta Canada. The reposted pic saying it was killed near Cheyenne is fake.

As for hiking through snow at the park to ride, I think I put my foot down once on the entire STP loop. Fat 29er tires work wonders for traction

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Haha, nice job about the photo! When it popped up on my FB I swore I had seen it before, and now I know why

I rode STC in the snow before, but my tires on my Epic suckkkkkk in the snow. S-Works race tires are not snow tires, haha. My other 29er gets decent snow traction, I've gone out and played in the snow before with that bike. Maybe I'll try for Gowdy tomorrow. I certainly do not mind mud! Today I'm doing Blue Sky just to get in a lot of flowy dry miles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rode Stone Temple and Igneoramus today, still has snow in some of the more shaded spots, but ride-able. Most of the trail is open and fairly dry. I decided to take the fat-bike in case there was lots of snow. I plan on taking the 29er up tomorrow and checking out the lower trails, I would imagine there are pretty dried out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think I'm gonna wait another week or two till the snow melts. I would like to ride my usual loop without having to dodge loins, snow, and hurricane winds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's suppose to snow this weekend, so waiting a week might not even matter...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah your right. Probably just plan on heading there middle to late April.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    You children thinking that having a gun will help if a big cat stalks and attacks you just cracks me up!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Fat Biker

a gun no...

but this will puzzle them Name:  bm_suit.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  30.3 KB
    plus it has a heater for winter riding

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for all the updates on CG, I'm from Denver but get up that way in the spring and fall usually. I rode Stone Temple last April, only one on the trail as it was a weekday. I was on the trail towards the back of the circuit, don't remember the name but pretty secluded. Anyway, came around a corner and right in the middle of the trail was a fresh deer leg, heard rustling in the brush to the right, scared the crap out of me. Never saw the guy, thankfully, but I know the cats are up there. Not sure I would have had time to get my gun out of my pack in time, and hopefully he wasn't hungry anymore after chewing on that deer. Besides, I've been told I don't taste very good anyway. You guys are blessed to have those trails so close to Cheyenne and Laramie. Let me know when the conditions are better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm heading up to ride today, but since it's suppose to snow all weekend the conditions I'll report won't matter

When it comes to mountain lions the biggest thing to do is NOT turn and run. They're cats... cats like to chase things. Cats run faster than you, even a little house cat. You're not going to win. I live with a 12 pound bengal, I know this first hand! Also they say hold strong eye contact, as with all cats, cats do not like direct eye contact. Try it with a pet cat, and they'll look away. They don't like it.

I've seen random deer parts up there as well... last fall someone hung a deer leg on the Pinball sign off of Stone Temple... really classy. LOL. "Yeah, take a left at the gnawed on deer leg..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Got up there about 11am today, which is right when it was snowing like crazy. Still rode, though I froze my toes! Stone Temple Circuit has just very minor snow drifts left, most of them are rideable (I think I only had to walk over some 3 or 4 times, mostly because I am a wimp). Of course things were getting soft/muddy with the moisture...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That's good news! I better get my stuff in and out of Push here soon! That didn't sound right.."push industries" that is lol

Laramie, Wyoming
    Happy Jack trails are rideable ... if you have a fat bike.

Happy Jack Snowshoe Trail - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Happy Jack trails are rideable ... if you have a fat bike.

Happy Jack Snowshoe Trail - YouTube
    That's pretty cool, almost like skiing lol

Fat Biker
    Curt Gowdy was nice today...for fat wheels
    Curt Gowdy Conditions-imag0003-451x800-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I need those mitten things!!!

Fat Biker

Jan 2008
    Get along, little Pogie?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I guess this can be the official update page lol has anybody been to curt gowdy here recently? Wanting to get some feedback...planning on going tomorrow

Occasionally engaged…
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse101 View Post
    I guess this can be the official update page lol has anybody been to curt gowdy here recently?
    I was there today. The southeast trails, those around Crystal Lake Reservoir in particular, are dry and/or mud free. Some of the trails to the north -- Crow Creek in particular -- have mud in spots but riding them was fine if a bit squishy (at least from a almost-always-dry Wyoming perspective).
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the info! Sounds promising..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I rode Curt Gowdy on easter. Was a great ride for start of season. Rode stone temple, alberts alley to mo-rocka, fox-tail, to crow creek. Muddy in a few spots, nothing too bad. I ran into a bit of snow on alberts alley, and crow creek, but nothing to complain about. I was a little rusty for my pedal timing on rocks. However I cleaned one section on mo-rocka uphill that I couldnt conquer last season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thinking I'll head up there today... I wish it'd be sunny, but at least the trails are looking good!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    Thinking I'll head up there today... I wish it'd be sunny, but at least the trails are looking good!
    Anyone have an update, was thinking of heading up on sat. thanks

Occasionally engaged…
    Since everything was more or less rideable or in great shape this past Sunday and there's been no real precipitation since then and no significant chance for rain or snow is forecast through the weekend -- it's going to be good (other than "crowded").
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Occasionally engaged…
    Had to go to Cheyenne today, so couldn't resist stopping at Gowdy on the way with the spousal unit -- we had fun. The trails were in awesome shape. Even the snow drift I left an imprint in last Sunday was hardly there today.
    Curt Gowdy Conditions-mary%40gowdy4-13.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Crow Creek was the only really muddy place I found today... Rode 16 miles, and it was awesome! Lowers are definitely all dry, STC only had a bit of mud here and there.

mtbr member
    any current updates after this past storm?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes please any update want to ride this weekend if possible

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you got a fat bike I'm sure it's good to go, but I'm doubting anything is clear. Then we are scheduled for snow mon tue and wed..sux

mtbr member
    rode it yesterday - it was great save for a few snow banks here and there - it will be shut back down though with this next storm - supposed to be significant. the main thing once it thaws is to avoid crow creek - it was consistently muddy yesterday - we just kept going back up to mo rocka as the connector - much drier....

Fat Biker
    Pray for monsoonal rain and warm temps my friends. Current snow pack is the worst I've seen in 3 years at this time of year.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast