Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Curt Gowdy Conditions

Anyone have an update for Curt Gowdy, Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dont plan on riding the good trails there till April or so. The lower res. trails might be dry by end of March. We just got dumped on here in Laramie, but the snow seems to be melting fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lower trails are 99% dry, uppers still have too much snow, according to GnarBrahWyo. This is of this afternoon

Laramie, Wyoming
    The snow is melting very quickly. I was riding on the Chimney Park trails above Woods Landing yesterday morning and came across some bear tracks. After my ride I drove back to Laramie, grabbed my snowshoes, and then headed back up to follow the tracks. Not only had the sun completely melted the tracks but the snow was so soft that snowshoes were useless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good news on the snow report alphazz. There is some good riding up in the snowies, hopefully the fire season is not bad this year.

Laramie, Wyoming
    The Gowdy riding will be better this year without this guy being up there, but there are others.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    LOL damn..I bet his ass was stalking me every now and then!

Went out for a really short ride today, def not rideable, even on shoreline there are some parts I found myself walking around or through the snow. End of April it is then, in the meantime I will send my fork and shock to push, and hit the trainer some more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ****! If thats real and i ever saw that on the trail i would probably never ride again.

Laramie, Wyoming
    It's real and once you are charged by one, it will change your hiking/biking habits. I never go without a gun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    It's real and once you are charged by one, it will change your hiking/biking habits. I never go without a gun.
    No way mountain lions don't get that big. What is that a 600lb lion.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Since you are from New Jersey, I'm going to assume you know a lot about mountain lions in Wyoming. It's a good size lion, but the photo does make it look larger than life. 600 lbs. would be larger than that.

Dudette
    LOL, admittedly, our cats don't get that big back east . There have been reports of sightings from time to time, but I don't think anything has been confirmed, not for years anyway. I'll admit, I was skeptical when I first saw the picture, but camera angles can do a great job at messing with our perceptions. Take a look on the 'net and you can find tons of pics with hunters and the cats they have taken, and some of those look quite large as well. I'd be freaked out riding the trails with that watching me. I have a good friend who rides Gowdy and hikes/camps, and he's never without his gun or bear spray. Gives us back east an appreciation for The Wild West!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Since you are from New Jersey, I'm going to assume you know a lot about mountain lions in Wyoming. It's a good size lion, but the photo does make it look larger than life. 600 lbs. would be larger than that.
    I might have to move back to NJ if i ever run into one. Seriously how big is that i thought mountain lions only could get to be tops 200lb, that thing looks like a lion from africa. Ill be carrying a gun next time i go to.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    The Gowdy riding will be better this year without this guy being up there, but there are others.
    In what way has the riding been improved? Have there been any recent attacks?

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    In what way has the riding been improved? Have there been any recent attacks?
    Well, I've been charged by a lion while on a trail here. And yes, recorded accounts of encounters, injuries or fatal attacks from mountain lions on humans are increasing in North America.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Well, I've been charged by a lion while on a trail here. And yes, recorded accounts of encounters, injuries or fatal attacks from mountain lions on humans are increasing in North America.
    So would the actual answer to my question be: there haven't been any recent attacks on humans at Curt Gowdy?

Fat Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    So would the actual answer to my question be: there haven't been any recent attacks on humans at Curt Gowdy?
    No attacks, just a few hair raising occurences while riding the park at night alone. probably was just a cow but scared me enough to stick to gravel at night for awhile.

PSA on the system trails: Trails are crap right now. Stay away. Do not attempt to ride there till June. Snow is 4 feet deep over most of the tracks, bring your snow shoes. Where the snow isn't, it's mud 5" deep.....blah blah blah

Whatever,
    the last 3 days have been great.
    ***Just stay on the trail people is all I ask*** or I will release the 3 hungry lions I keep in an underground cage near Aspen grove.
    Stay on the trails and you won't be attacked
    I'll be watching
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I must be the only person that doesn't get excited about mountain lions... maybe it's because I grew up in the mountains so I'm use to them roaming around?! I'm actually a huge cat lady, so that picture makes me sad. Totally not against hunting, grew up hunting elk, but don't agree with big cats being killed. Like I said, cat lady. Moving on... the cows are way scarier. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I've noticed a lot of "re-routing" on STC when I rode back in February. Quite sad, I agree, stay on the damn trail! If you don't want to get muddy, pick up a different hobby than mountain biking for goodness sakes!

Because I do not like hiking through snow, I think I'm sticking with stuff around FoCO for now...

Fat Biker
    Well, I did some searching on this so called cat killed locally. It was not. It was killed in Alberta Canada by the guy on the right who lives in Alberta Canada. The reposted pic saying it was killed near Cheyenne is fake.

As for hiking through snow at the park to ride, I think I put my foot down once on the entire STP loop. Fat 29er tires work wonders for traction
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Haha, nice job about the photo! When it popped up on my FB I swore I had seen it before, and now I know why

I rode STC in the snow before, but my tires on my Epic suckkkkkk in the snow. S-Works race tires are not snow tires, haha. My other 29er gets decent snow traction, I've gone out and played in the snow before with that bike. Maybe I'll try for Gowdy tomorrow. I certainly do not mind mud! Today I'm doing Blue Sky just to get in a lot of flowy dry miles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rode Stone Temple and Igneoramus today, still has snow in some of the more shaded spots, but ride-able. Most of the trail is open and fairly dry. I decided to take the fat-bike in case there was lots of snow. I plan on taking the 29er up tomorrow and checking out the lower trails, I would imagine there are pretty dried out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think I'm gonna wait another week or two till the snow melts. I would like to ride my usual loop without having to dodge loins, snow, and hurricane winds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's suppose to snow this weekend, so waiting a week might not even matter...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah your right. Probably just plan on heading there middle to late April.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    You children thinking that having a gun will help if a big cat stalks and attacks you just cracks me up!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast