Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    Granny gear grinder
    My perspective, as a long-time trail maintenance volunteer at CGSP:

Stone Temple Circuit is the most ridden trail in the park. Also, it is typically the next step up for novice riders after they have mastered Shoreline. Stone Temple was planned and built as an intermediate difficulty route.

Some of the repair work which some would characterize as "sanitizing" or "dumbing down" is in reality restoring the trail to its original state. This is a good thing in terms of maintaining trail sustainability and keeping it at an intermediate difficulty level. In addition, the reality is that when a section of trail starts to lose dirt and the rocks in the tread become more prominent, less experienced riders begin to route around the obstacles and the trail gets wider and wider. Eventually, when a large rock starts getting loose in the tread, it will be removed.

I would recommend that more experienced riders headed to Gowdy spend less time on Stone Temple in favor of more challenging routes such as Igneoramus, Mo Rocka, Skin & Bones, or El Alto. Another option is to focus on riding "clean" the various alternate lines available in "play areas" adjacent to Stone Temple Circuit, namely Rock Gym, Huck Fins and Stone King.

Fat Biker

Re: Curt Gowdy Conditions

+1 Wyo Mountain Goat
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    I wonder who is pulling rocks out of the trails at Vedauwoo. Happened right before the Enduro.

Fat Biker
    Wrong thread gnar, and no one has been identified in that lawbreaking debacle
    Don't be a Hater!
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Laramie, Wyoming
    It wasn't me, I didn't pull any rocks out of the trails until after the enduro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    It wasn't me, I didn't pull any rocks out of the trails until after the enduro.
    NSA saw this. Feds are coming after you, Alphazz!

mtbr member
    but in all serious, alphazz, I hope you (and I assume you are) are kidding. Other people have been noticing tough rock garden sections in Vedauwoo being sanitized. It really sucks when there is a section I have been working hard to clean only to find some jackwagon has dug up the rock because they don't wanna hop of their bike for 3 seconds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've seen people get pissed at rocks on Ignorouramus (seriously, threw a hissy fit because they couldn't ride it), and yank rocks out of the trails... I've seen sketchy fills of roots on Rock N Roller... I bet by next summer I'll be picking up on changes on Mo Rocks. all of Gowdy is at risk. I just hope no one touches the rock garden on Crow Creek... or is that another "beginner progression to intermediate trail"?? LOL. That's one of the few spots that harken back to what riding is like on the east coast in this area. And for someone that races outside of the Laradise bubble, technical skills are needed, not practice on smoothed out trails. And talking about sketchy trails at Gowdy that are in poor repair in spots, I've heard so many complaints about Shoreline... why aren't people wasting time on Shoreline and all it's crumbly granite washed out glory?

I've only been mountain biking for 2 years, but apparently everyone has gotten a lot more butthurt in those years over walking stuff. The first trails I ever rode at Gowdy were STC, Mo Rocka, and Pinball 2 weeks after buying a mountain bike. Yep, took me 1.5 hours to damn near walk all of STC, but it didn't cross my mind to make stuff easier. Instead, I got better, and can now, thanks to the kind trail builders removing rocks, clear it in 20 minutes without a dab. Still doesn't phase me to walk stuff even know that I'm one of those Strava using XC racing *******s. Maybe it's society, everything is suppose to be easy and safe and good for the ego...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I happen to be going on a family camping trip at Happy Jack this weekend, and I just recently discovered that there is a lot of good riding in the area, which is very exciting. If I'm only able to ride one day, is Gowdy the place to go, or is there any reason to choose Happy Jack? I live on the front range and consider myself to be an intermediate advanced rider, in good shape, and I'm looking to get in 10-15 miles. I like techno, but ideal is a good mixture of techno and flow. Also, since I'll be riding alone, I'm wondering how traveled the trails are in case something unfortunate happens.

Any advice would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Gowdy is crowded on the weekends. The lower trails are a bit less crowded, but the uppers can have a lot of traffic. I don't ride Gowdy on weekends in the summer because of that, I'm not much of a people person when I'm riding. So depending on your personal preference of having to share the trails, Gowdy could definitely be the place to go or place to avoid.

Happy Jack has a lot of awesome trails, both flow and techy (very natural tech, not maintained or designed), but a lot more remote. You can ride stuff that no one else will be on. Which is good to get away from weekend crowds, not good if you plan on something unfortunate happening. Trail routing and getting around can also be sketchy if you're not familiar, even with a map because not everything has signs. It's kinda impossible to get lost at Gowdy (great signage), but possible to do that at Happy Jack.

You can definitely get 10-15 miles in where ever you ride without repeating trails (unless you want to repeat of course!).

Unfortunately I'm committed to a charity road ride this weekend, otherwise I'd off to show you around...

Fat Biker
    Crowded or not ride Gowdy. It is not in any way crowded like front range trails are.
    Don't be a Hater!
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Fat Biker
    Should've posted here asking for one, I live 15 minutes away and could have brought you a loner
    Don't be a Hater!
    Borealis Yampa XX1

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the advice... We got up there and I realized that I forgot my $&@#ing helmet. I ended up riding about 12 miles around some of the ohv roads near our camp in happy jack. Oh well, maybe next summer, since I don't know that I'll make the trip again this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm not sure I like the idea of turning on the 10pm news and hearing about "trail work" on Mo Rocka "to make it more enjoyable for all trail users."

Heading up tomorrow to check it out... Heard it didn't change the trail's character, so we'll see! Mo Rocka was getting eroded in spots...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How was mo rocka since the recent re-route?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wimped out and never drove up. Feeling blah last weekend and now I've been sick the past few days... hopefully I'll be able to make it up there this weekend maybe! I heard it's not bad, so I have faith in what people are saying!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9