Not-quite-geezer RVer

Curly Highline this weekend, anyone?

Hey folks,

We're about to drive across Montana and I'm hoping to stop and ride the famous (infamous?) Curly Lake Highline loop this year, after having to skip it last time we were in MT in 2011.

Would love to hook up with some others there this weekend (either Sat Sep 14 or Sun Sep 15) if possible.

So if anybody's planning a Curly ride (or would like to!) and would like some company, lemme know.

Cheers,
    Carey

PS: I'm coming off a summer in Colorado and am now riding an Ibis Mojo HDR 650b wunderbike instead of my namesake folding 20er, so I should be able to hang with most mortals on this sort of loop. Not looking to "race" it but just have a good big day out on the bike. So if you're into that sort of thing, let's ride!
    "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" ride reports and more at WWW.DEBCAR.COM : Debbie and Carey's RV Travel Website

Not-quite-geezer RVer
    No takers on a Curly ride yet (come on folks--you know you want to!) but I have gotten some good suggestions via PM about other rides to check out along the way, so that's appreciated too.

Anyway, for those of you who know the area, I'm wondering what you'd rate Curly's "remoteness factor" at...

Basically I'm wondering if I were to show up this weekend to ride Curly solo, would there likely be other random riders/hikers out on the loop, or would I more likely be all alone deep in the woods for the day?

While I do carry a SPOT and generally know what's what, the latter scenario still causes considerable worry for my girlfriend, so I'll probably choose more frontcountry rides rather than go it alone if Curly is as lightly traveled as I suspect it is.

Thanks!
    "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" ride reports and more at WWW.DEBCAR.COM : Debbie and Carey's RV Travel Website

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FoldsInHalf View Post
    No takers on a Curly ride yet (come on folks--you know you want to!) but I have gotten some good suggestions via PM about other rides to check out along the way, so that's appreciated too.

Anyway, for those of you who know the area, I'm wondering what you'd rate Curly's "remoteness factor" at...

Basically I'm wondering if I were to show up this weekend to ride Curly solo, would there likely be other random riders/hikers out on the loop, or would I more likely be all alone deep in the woods for the day?

While I do carry a SPOT and generally know what's what, the latter scenario still causes considerable worry for my girlfriend, so I'll probably choose more frontcountry rides rather than go it alone if Curly is as lightly traveled as I suspect it is.

Thanks!
    Hi Carey,

Weekends you're likely to see other folks out -- not nearly as remote as the Lionhead Henry's Lakes ride.

I've ridden it solo about 7 times and with a friend 1x, but I ride alone 99% of the time anyways.

Just bring some Jerk seasonings (pepper spray) and plenty of food/water or filter and you'll be fine.

If your partner was shuttling you, you could skip most of the road ride and she could meet you at the take out -- there's a mellow waterfall about 1/2 mile up the trail where she could hang out with a book a few hours after dropping you off.

The road (past the take out) get's a bit rough though towards the end, but every bit helps on a 25 mile / 5000' ride...