Thread: Corrals Access

aaarrrggghh!

Corrals Access

Don't shoot the messenger but I heard second hand today that the gates on Corrals were being locked by the rancher that utilizes that land for grazing of his cattle due these same cows getting free from users leaving the gates open. The BLM has been coming down hard on this gentleman in the way of fines. His only solution was to lock the gates.

Please contact Ridge to Rivers and politely ask them to intervene on our behalf in order for us to preserve access to these trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had an email reach me stating this, "Hi Mr. Gordon

I just wanted to let you know I was hiking with my dog on Corrals trail this afternoon when I was approached by Charlie Gibson, the rancher who leases land from the state, and allows for trail access across this land to the public. He informed me that due to trail users leaving his gates open, and his cattle subsequently escaping, the BLM has fined him multiple times recently. This has put him under financial stress and even though he has reached out to the BLM and Ridge to Rivers it seems that his concerns have fallen on deaf ears. Specifically BLM employee Marie Sharkie (spelling?) told him to lock the gates and close this land to public access. Well, it seems that Charlie was taking this request from the BLM literally because he had locks and cables on his four wheeler and informed me that he is closing the trail today!

I am writing to you because I feel it is Ridge to Rivers, and SWIMBA's, responsibility to work together AND with local and federal land managers to insure that the public has access to local trails. Given the volume of use this trail sees daily, I am sure that you will take this email seriously and make efforts to work with Charlie and the BLM to get this trail open soon."

Hopefully this gets sorted soon as it is a high traffic trail we will all miss it.

26er
    This might be a perfect time to put in some of those mini cattle grates and get rid of the actual gates.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Email response from Dave Gordon:
    " I too had a long conversation with Charlie this afternoon, as he advised me of his intentions to lock the gates due to cattle trespass issues between he and the BLM. I subsequently placed a (as yet unanswered) call into BLM Manager Terry Humphreys to see how he would like to proceed with respect to recreational access, and what avenues we might be able to explore to solve this issue. I had also spoken with them regarding the possibility of this happening last month, when Charlie suggested that he might take this measure.

While I like Charlie and certainly understand his frustration, the issue of cattle trespass has occurred for a few years now (since that parcel was exchanged from the State of Idaho to the BLM), and lies between he and the BLM, who is the managing agency. Ridge to Rivers manages the trails in that area for the BLM under the R2R partnership, however we do not have jurisdiction related to grazing related issues. That is the role of their staff persons.

I am not sure how much locking the gates will help this issue unfortunately, as I don't think that they are left open very often (I have never encountered either of these gates left open actually). In conversations with Charlie out on the ground, it sounds as though his cows cross onto BLM primarily through fences that apparently the sheep knock down each year as they move through.

Like you, I hope for a speedy resolution to this problem and we will advise the BLM from a recreational management standpoint, toward that end. Best Regards -DG"

Look out!
    I spoke to Charlie this morning while walking my dog. The short version is that the trails are still OPEN to the public, the gates are locked to prevent cows from escaping onto BLM land. This problem has been caused by trail users not closing gates.
    Ride the bike.

mtnjam
    like I said in my fb post...

Dave Gordon and R2R, (i know you guys read this)
    I see this as a wonderful volunteer opportunity for R2R and other volunteer groups to reach out to the ranchers/landowners to help them repair fences and gates.
    The creek gate at the bottom of Corrals is in need of repair as is the larger vehicle gate which is held closed with nothing more than rope. The smaller gates all used to have a spring that would close the gate behind the trail user, those have fallen into complete disrepair and would help fix some of the problem if those were repaired.
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

Look out!
    Charlie also mentioned that people are venturing off trail and riding/walking where they shouldn't, and was concerned about that. He was very nice and we had a good talk about the problem. He seemed like he wanted to find a solution. I do not know what the BLM thinks, or what their side of the story is.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Hiker Biker and Dog Friendly

Lock the gates and install one of these next to them if there is enough room. ATV (rescue assistance), biker, hiker and dog accessible if a 1'0" wide (or more) solid walking surface is placed to one side or down the center of the grating. Seen them used successfully in Utah and Colorado. Just a thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    A note to remember in all this is the Sequestration in effect. I work for the BLM and we are seeing serious budget hits from this policy. Staffing is effected and while these grates are good ideas, the funding to purchase them and the staff to not only do the purchase orders but the installs are either non existent or over burdened. No seasonal people were allowed to be hired on this year unless they were supporting fire.

Not saying that these discussions shouldn't happen, just that there are complications and fallout to this policy and we all need to be aware of what the implications are to our government failing to work for the people and come to any sorts of agreements.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    A note to remember in all this is the Sequestration in effect. I work for the BLM and we are seeing serious budget hits from this policy. Staffing is effected and while these grates are good ideas, the funding to purchase them and the staff to not only do the purchase orders but the installs are either non existent or over burdened. No seasonal people were allowed to be hired on this year unless they were supporting fire.

Not saying that these discussions shouldn't happen, just that there are complications and fallout to this policy and we all need to be aware of what the implications are to our government failing to work for the people and come to any sorts of agreements.
    I’ve done many things without government $$$$ or manpower. Volunteers!!!!! Here is a great opportunity for SWIMBA to spend some their Beer money. I can see it now “This trail access purchased and installed by SWIMBA and FAT TIRE…..”

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not saying that is not a viable solution at all, just be aware that we still have to get the ok by the land manager, who is very likely under constraints of overworked and overburdened because they are handling more responsibilities than ever before. No seasonal employees mean they have no ability to delegate and have to handle those roles themselves. When work becomes backlogged, it gets prioritized.

Volunteers help get the approval but somebody still has to approve.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not saying that is not a viable solution at all, just be aware that we still have to get the ok by the land manager, who is very likely under constraints of overworked and overburdened because they are handling more responsibilities than ever before. No seasonal employees mean they have no ability to delegate and have to handle those roles themselves. When work becomes backlogged, it gets prioritized.

Volunteers help get the approval but somebody still has to approve.
    As a paper pusher for government construction projects I understand better than anybody the time involved with the approval process. This could be the perfect opportunity for you……BLM guy working on the inside and all, thought you might have special and quick access to the right people. Take the land manager to lunch and talk about it. They do still get a lunch break don’t they? Be positive and proactive, you could be the hero here.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Wow. Stupid Americans.

The trails are still open - the recreation easements have not been rescinded. Check.

There are a couple of locked gates because some users have neglected to close them and the cows got out. Check.

There are holes in some fences because of sheep and cows. Check.

Who here hasn't ever lifted their bike over a fence? Really? Are you mountain bikers? Or is your mascara getting in the way of seeing straight?

Oh, and about that free lunch for the government employee in order to lube the skids for a personal or NGO agenda...
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Wait and see

I think David Gordon’s lead on this is the right direction for the biking community. We don’t have all the information so it would behoove us to wait and see how the BLM moves forward on the issue. SWIMBA has let both BLM and Ridge to Rivers know we would be willing to partner on a solution of improving the gates or working on some fencing if that would help. We have no desire to stick our nose into something that isn’t wanted but willing to work toward a positive partnership if so desired.
    Thanks,

Mike e.
    SWIMBA President

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You are president now Mike? That makes me happy to read and more glad that I renewed my membership. Nothing against the priors at all, just like the fact that a 'get it done trail builder guy' is the current help leader. I am schooling full time right now and working same so have fallen off the radar as far as helping out but I plan to come back after I am done with the academics and help out more like I used to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You are president now Mike? That makes me happy to read and more glad that I renewed my membership. Nothing against the priors at all, just like the fact that a 'get it done trail builder guy' is the current help leader. I am schooling full time right now and working same so have fallen off the radar as far as helping out but I plan to come back after I am done with the academics and help out more like I used to.
    Thanks for your membership it really helps. We are trying to live on our membership alone while we put money away for the ST-240. Once we have an actual piece of heavy equipment to build trails we will really be able to focus volunteers on the fine finish work and build more miles of quality trails.

Were are still enjoying the corners you helped build at Avimor. They've become known at the juicey turns. So come back when you can - it's all good!

Mike e.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Everybody wants a legacy, I will take 'the juicey turns' as mine...