mtbr member

Cold Weather Gear

What do you use to stay warm during the winter? Anyone have any luck with battery operated heated gloves, socks or insoles? If so what works and what doesn't?

mtbr member

batteries not included

mtbr member
    I ran last night at about 3 deg and stayed pretty comfortable. My back got a little sweaty and my face a little cold. I have never had great luck keeping my hands warm riding in the cold. The gloves I'm running in are a thin fleece wind stopper glove. I have yet to ride in them.

I have never tried battery operated heaters. I have skied on cold days with chemical heaters in pockets on the back of my mittens. They work really well. Someone needs to make a pair of gloves and chemical heaters small enough to fit in pockets on back of glove fingers. I suspect you could easily stuff a chemical heater on your toes under shoe covers.

Other than that, tights (you can wear a mid weight under layer under) on top, just layer. Plan to vent on your climbs and to block wind going down. Follow the standard model, don't get sweaty
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    I've ordered a pair of those ATV handlebar sleeve mitts for $30 from a shop in Bonners Ferry. I had looked into getting a pair of pogies, but couldn't find anything for less than $60. The guy I spoke with seemed confident that they would work just fine on my mountain bike. For cold weather riding, keeping my hands warm on the decent has been the only thing I haven't figured out yet. These mitts should do the job - - link

For feet, I've had excellent results with smartwool socks, a chemical toe warmer wrapped over my little toes, my normal mountain bike shoe, and two pairs of booties (an insulating one and a wind resistant one). I had this set up the other day when it was 10 degrees and rode Corrals and my feet were fine.

For my body, I wear cycling tights, and layer up with base layers/long sleeved cycling jackets and a windbreaker. I've been brining my Camelback without the bladder along so that I can adjust my layers as needed. And I wear a balaclava for the face.

mtbr member
    Also, icebike.com has a lot of excellent cold weather riding ideas.

mtbr member
    my merino wool did an excellent job to warm my poorly designed skin/fur combo (and, i'm a hairy white guy...almost have a bear suit).

i think some reverse shuttles may be in order.

climbing is more fun than descending these days.

Contagious Xian
    -http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=527528

-http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6181123/c/34250.html

Flip's got the "old pants over the riding pants" thing that works well. I do the same thing with board shorts over the riding pants. And get a head sheath to cover the ears and cut the helmet ventilated breezes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X

Flip's got the "old pants over the riding pants" thing that works well. I do the same thing with board shorts over the riding pants. And get a head sheath to cover the ears and cut the helmet ventilated breezes.
    Ghetto is where it's at... Don't buy into the marketing. Most of the stuff you already have works great for winter riding... I'm actually thinking that Carhartt stuff would rock for winter riding... Actually, I might try that today...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Merino wool tights, wool shirt base and ski gloves. If fingers still cold merino liners are far superior than any glove liner I've ever found, in 36 years of skiing. If really cold get a balaclava for your head, thin ones are generally better for aerobic sports. Thicker ones are too warm for cycling or even hard skiing. If not that cold a wool or fleece ear band or ski hat under a helmet. Merino wool will keep you comfortable over a much wider temprature range than ANY synthetic.
    Have fun, you also burn more calories when cold, pig out, carry food.
    The other problem is water freezing in your pack's tube or bite valve, blow the water back into you pack after every drink.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

I like the reverse shuttle option.
    Iast week I tried out something my uncle suggested, put on a silk base layer, then a few
    then layers of smartish wool then something of a breathable windstopper. A vest over that
    is zipped up or down as needed. glad it is out of the teens now.

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    ...Iast week I tried out something my uncle suggested, put on a silk base layer...
    Under Armour makes a second skin base layer also. I'm not sure how it compares to silk, but the weight-to-warmth ratio is outstanding and it's heat retention for your core is amazing, and that is the short sleeve version. Great for all winter/active outdoor pursuits.

$25.00 at your local G.I.Joes...or free if you happen to know an NFL player.

Felice Navidad!
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

gringo-fied facsimiles

I found a trick

I always have issues with cold feet this time of year, because my feet sweat and get my socks wet. I rode yesterday at 8:30 am one foot I sprayed with anti persperant and the other was left o-natural. Par for the course, the one foot started to get cold on the downhill(hulls) the sprayed foot stayed totaly dry and warm. just sharing the results.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    I always have issues with cold feet this time of year, because my feet sweat and get my socks wet. I rode yesterday at 8:30 am one foot I sprayed with anti persperant and the other was left o-natural. Par for the course, the one foot started to get cold on the downhill(hulls) the sprayed foot stayed totaly dry and warm. just sharing the results.
    cool.

i may spray half my body..head to toe with this shiz....

i bet you smelled like a brut!

gringo-fied facsimiles

Ha!

It was a very pleasant unforseen side effect to smell that good while being covered in wet wool!!
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

think pink
    I like the antiperspirant idea a lot, I'll have to give that a try sometime. The Carhartt idea is solid. It works quite well and the double knee makes it harder for snow to get through to your legs on days that it's coming down. I have a pair of tights that I've had for a couple of years complete with a few holes that i wear under a pair of Dickies shorts. The shorts provide a bit of abrasion resistance while also keeping important parts warm.

mtbr member
    nair your parts before you ride...

that'll keep 'em warm..and the Mrs will likey the bare/buff results...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the wife will only ski with the battery(hotronix) boot warmers. She has circulation issues and these make longer day in the mtns doable. I'd think they would be a bit cumbersome on the bike, but they do work. Good layering is the key to making it in the cold.

Archie

mtbr member
    Add something to your camelbak to keep the tube from freezing. CamelBak makes little tablets (a little flavor and electrolytes) Some use gatoraid, vodka.... Whatever you add, it will lower the freezing point of water and keep your tube from freezing.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    this works great for keeping your hands warm. My hands tend to get cold quite easily,
    these moose hippo hands have a wind protection on the outside and fleece on the inside.