mtbr member

Clearwater National Forest Travel Plan

The Clearwater National Forest is being forced to re write it's more recent travel plan. A few good trails dodged the bullet with the most recent revision. There is probably some potential to lose more trails here. This was spearheaded by Friends of the Clearwater and Palouse Group-Sierra Club, so there is definitely some potential to lose more bicycle access in the area.

Clearwater Forest Service to rewrite plan to protect wildlife and habitat | Local & Regional | KLEW CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Lewiston, ID

Judge rules in favor of plaintiffs against agency travel plan | Friends of the Clearwater Moscow, Idaho

All fat, all the time.
    Sierra club won't be happy until everyone is banned from doing anything outdoors....
    The more you ride, the easier it gets........
    the easier it gets, the more you ride.
    Viscous circle

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    funny, the friends of the Clearwater where pushing for the wolf, now they want to help the elk. can anyone say oxymoron.

don't let the elk plea fool you.

really Wildman, really.

mtbr member
    Hopefully someone that knows more about this can chime in. I'm concerned this revision will affect the few back country trails left in this area. Friends of the Clearwater are definitely no friends to mountain bikers. They post anti mountain biking crap on their blog, so I'm a little worried about their plans.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    kyle

I will get ahold of some of my contacts on this and find out what is going on.

thanks
    tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was somewhat surprised and confused by the decision considering our case so I went to the expert—our attorney. Here is his response.

Date: March 13, 2015 at 7:13:44 AM PDT
    To: Sandra Mitchell <smitchel@alscott.com>
    Subject: Re: please explain before my head explodes
    Yes I will send a copy, I just read it last night. The USFS is trying to figure out what it means and is asking for 2 more weeks to respond to Winmill in our case.

Judge Lodge's decision does NOT vacate anything, ie he only instructs USFS to go back and do more analysis on 2 specific topics. I don't think it affects our case, but USFS may be evaluating how it affects their resources.

Paul A. Turcke
    Moore Smith Buxton & Turcke
    950 W. Bannock Street, Ste. 520
    Boise, ID 83702
    208-331-1800
    pat@msbtlaw.com

We will continue to work through this. When I know more, I will be back in touch. Thanks

I don't think anyone knows what this means. The issa sued to prevent proposed wilderness to be treated as wilderness and won, but the enviro's appealed. this is a different case. stay tuned I guess.

mtbr member
    Thanks Tim, interesting info. Sounding like a mess in the making.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The first meeting I went to on the great burn was in 1998 in Deborgia, MT. the lolo national forest put it on. It was a mess than, I don't think, the mess will change any time soon. Remember in the great burn, mountain bikes and motorcycles are treated the same way, now.

I will let you know as I get more info.