mtbr member
    May 2004

Chainring question

Okay, hopefully this isn't a dumb question.
    Anyway, I squared off about 4 teeth of my big chainring, two right next to each other and 2 more another spot. Is this no big deal, or is it something that might eventually cause weird chain wear and shifting degrading?

I ask because, I have had my share of poor shifting bikes and shops say well new chain/old rings or new rings old chain, etc..........

thanks

mtbr member

get rid of it...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Anyway, I squared off about 4 teeth of my big chainring, two right next to each other and 2 more another spot. Is this no big deal, or is it something that might eventually cause weird chain wear and shifting degrading?

I ask because, I have had my share of poor shifting bikes and shops say well new chain/old rings or new rings old chain, etc..........

thanks
    if you're hitting the big chainring off of rocks, replace it with a bashguard...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Gary.
    Yeah, I'll either do that, or If I do get a big bike, then no need!
    Leaving it on now, do you think it is alright in terms of chain wear etc?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Rocks Rock

thanks
    If I dont have a bash guard my big chain ring turns into a bash guard (as yours has). Be carefull of the E13 it doesn't look like it will fit on my Race Face crank (no notch for the pedal arm thingy) I'm in the market for one or two and will look around here in VA. for one. There is a race face on Price Point for $27 if I can't find one at the LBS. You can get the E13 on Price Point for $30 but they are out of stock. Georges is a dealer for them.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

aaarrrggghh!
    It might throw your chain when you in the big ring, and speaking from experience it can be very painful. Replace it with a bash guard, you never miss your big ring. Blackspire has ones that fit your cranks and sells for about 39 bucks. I'm putting on one my Dirtbag because the stock Saint one sucks. We can have one in for you almost same day if you want it.

Hi!!!
    Damn all this talk of a bash ring both in here and the Yeti forum gots me thinking....am I gonna need one?

Hey Ian you guys have anything in the shop that will fit my Yeti? Race Face Evolve XC crankset. What other specs would you need about it to determine what would best fit my bike?

mtbr member

Rf

Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    If I dont have a bash guard my big chain ring turns into a bash guard (as yours has). Be carefull of the E13 it doesn't look like it will fit on my Race Face crank (no notch for the pedal arm thingy) I'm in the market for one or two and will look around here in VA. for one. There is a race face on Price Point for $27 if I can't find one at the LBS. You can get the E13 on Price Point for $30 but they are out of stock. Georges is a dealer for them.
    RF makes a bashguard but it's probably not as durable as the E13.
    http://www.raceface.com/components/c...s/bashring.htm

mtbr member
    May 2004

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    It might throw your chain when you in the big ring, and speaking from experience it can be very painful. Replace it with a bash guard, you never miss your big ring. Blackspire has ones that fit your cranks and sells for about 39 bucks. I'm putting on one my Dirtbag because the stock Saint one sucks. We can have one in for you almost same day if you want it.
    I know you represent Reeds so not sure if you can say here, but now I'm confused:

E-13, Blackspire, or Raceface?
    Also, I think my middle is 33tooth

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    E13 DRS is the way to go, if you want to ride the nasty (I'm not talkin GC Krakwhore either). I have one on my Bullit. It takes a ridiculous amount of abuse...

The Blackspire sound like the ticket in terms of time. And $30 plus shipping & handling fees from prickpint, you'll be at ablut the same price (within $3), so ordering it mailorder doesn't really save that much (buy one less latte). Plus, you can return to Ian/Reeds if it doesn't fit...which I doubt would happen 'cause he wouldn't order it if it didn't.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Also, I think my middle is 33tooth
    More than likely, your middle is a 32 or 34.

mtbr member
    I went looking for a bashgaurd last week. George's on state had the eThirteen's in stock, but I decided on this Race Face from Ken's. I preferred the increased ground clearance over the 13.

(sorry about the big pic!?)

Last edited by Back2Kill; 03-23-2006 at 07:33 AM.

Hi!!!
    What would be a good bash ring for me?

Also...is there some sort of adjustment made to the front derailleur/shifter so that one doesn't accidently shift up to where the big ring use to be??? Or do you just have to be conscience about the fact you know longer have a big ring?

mtbr member
    Just tighten down the set screw on the derailleur. Thus, keeping it from going to the large ring. I would like to have lowered the derailleur on the seat tube, but the linkage was in the way.

Hoops - Big and Small

Shimano FD

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Also...is there some sort of adjustment made to the front derailleur/shifter so that one doesn't accidently shift up to where the big ring use to be???
    Here's an illustration - Would an LBS charge to turn a screw? Or is the screw turn thrown in for free after you purchase it (bashgard) from them?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    Replace it with a bash guard, you never miss your big ring.
    Agreed. DK I've never had or needed my large ring on the Coiler, the raceface bash guard has come in real handy (reference our rides up on E'Side) on a few good poundings. My DH bike's e13 came stock and I've whacked that thing hard a few times up at Brundage and Tamarack.

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Also...is there some sort of adjustment made to the front derailleur/shifter so that one doesn't accidently shift up to where the big ring use to be??? Or do you just have to be conscience about the fact you know longer have a big ring?
    Easiest way to set your front derailleur to not shift beyond the middle is to, first, shift into your middle ring. Next, turn the outer limit screw (as shown in the diagram that Crash_Burn posted; it may not be the outer screw depending on your derailleur configuration, but the screw will say 'High' or have a 'H' embossed next to the screw) clockwise until you cannot move the derailleur beyond the middle ring index. Then, try shifting down into the granny and back into the middle. If it doesn't want to go up into the middle, then adjust the outer limit screw out (counter-clockwise) about a 1/8 or 1/16 of a turn and try again.

Do NOT try and lower your front derailleur, as the cages on the derailleur are designed to shift with the original derailleur height in mind (as if you had an outer chainring mounted on the cranks). If you lower the derailleur, there is a good chance that your rear suspension (if you're riding a dually) will interfere/contact the derailleur cage upon deep compression.

Good luck.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Ian. I will probably be calling you when you get into work, to order.
    Also, I'll just file down the sides of the teeth on the big ring that were squared off, so if I want to use this later or on another bike, won't cause any issues.

Thanks !

Rocks Rock

If you wanna keep up with EarthPig

When following EP you must, at times, pedal hard on your big chain ring. Not that I can keep up. So you need one of these. It's the best big ring rock guard I've found, checked all the LBSs in Boise and the DC area. Got this one off Price Line. It's been pounded on my bike for over a week now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Am I really the only one that uses their big chain ring?

Riding between the trailhead and my house on pavement is almost always in the big ring, and I use it quite a bit on the foothills trails (I rode clockwise on Shane's loop last night, and used the big ring on most of the second half of the loop).

And to answer the original question... are you sure it's not the teeth that are supposed to be shorter to aid in shifting?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.