mtbr member
    May 2011

CDT-Goldstone Pass-South

A few photo's from an out and back ride on the Idaho/Montana Continental Divide Trail in the Goldstone Pass area about 14 miles east of Salmon. Started off the Lewis and Clark Backcountry Byway road to the 184 road to CDT trail to Goldstone Pass. There are some short hike a bikes in this section but the scenery is outstanding. The first few miles are in lodgepole pine forest singletrack then you get into the more open rocky areas where the views open up. The ride started at 8,000 feet and topped out at 9,735 feet. I picked a day with no lightning storms in the forcast. T shirt weather all day. Ended up at about a 22 mile round trip. There are several other segments of trail that need exploring in the area including Park and Eunice Creek trails on the Montana side. Some potential loop opportunities for big rides. The views were smoked out later in the day from smoke from the Halstead fire near Stanley. Photo's are:
    CDT rocky area.
    Goldstone Pass in center (9,010') and Swift Lake on Montana side.
    Trail Sign.
    Goldstone Mine in Pratt Creek.
    Trail high point looking south (9,735').
    Topo elevation graph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CDT-Goldstone Pass-South-p1010011.jpg  

CDT-Goldstone Pass-South-p1010013.jpg  

CDT-Goldstone Pass-South-p1010018.jpg  

CDT-Goldstone Pass-South-p1010019.jpg  

CDT-Goldstone Pass-South-p1010026.jpg  

CDT-Goldstone Pass-South-goldstonecdt.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nice pics, you do get around. I just got off of the middle fork of the salmon and haven't been on any real rides in a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes, im trying to ride and GPS as many local trails that dont have tracks as I can this summer. Some are more photogenic than others. That Middle Fork is a great trip isnt it. Post some more trip reports when you get a chance. Always good to see what others have been up too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Outstanding! Thanks for posting photos of the Goldstone part of the CDT. Any more photos will be welcome.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark