Thread: Casper Wyoming

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Casper Wyoming

To any of you western riders, i recently got a job offer in casper wyoming, and was wondering what the riding was like out there. Obviously the riding isnt my main concern, but its something i would like to consider. Ive spent some time in wyoming, mostly in the laramie area, and road tripped around to the tetons, yellowstone, and across the nothern portion of the state, etc... so i have some familiarity with the state.

also any general info about the area would be appreciated.

and as for riding im interested in it all, xc, aggressive trail riding, dh, and even road, also is there a local race scene?

if anyone actually responds to this ill probably have more questions for you as well.

thanks in advance

matt

Tracking up the place
    http://www.backcountrymountainworks.com/

I think that will get you what you need....Just for your info, the Casper mountain area has trails among other areas.. I would get with the shop and then swing with some locals.....".... I'd send an update on the mountain bike rendezvous. It is turning into much more of an opportunity than originally thought.

The local rec. planner with the Forest Service applied for an RTP (recreational trails program) to help improve one of our favorite trails on the Bighorns (the Bench trail). We were successful and have money to do lots of trail work. Along with that, I applied to IMBA for a visit by one of their Trail Care Crews and we were selected. So, the plan is to wrap the Rendezvous in with the IMBA Crew visit. Their schedule could only fit a visit to the Bighorns on August 3-6. Mark your calendars. I know there are some conflicts with that weekend, sorry. The Crew visit will include meeting with trails folks, looking at the trail, some trail work, and some educating those of us that need to know how to build/repair trails (see below for a similar opportunity). I plan for rides and all the festivities on that Saturday. It should also be possible for folks to ride some on Sunday too before heading home (or play hooky on Monday and drive home then). Everyone also is invited to come for the entire Trail Crew visit.

We are planning to have the Rendezvous at the now closed Antelope Butte ski area. It is about 45 minutes east of Greybull on Highway 14 (or ~1 1/2 hours west of Sheridan). There's a big open area with trees nearby for tents. There are some established campgrounds nearby if someone wants to be a bit further from the crowd. There are also 3 major lodges with motels/cabins (Bear Lodge, Big Horn Mountain Lodge, and Arrowhead Lodge) for those that want showers and a bit more hospitality.

We are planning for a BBQ on Saturday evening. More than likely it will be a pig on the barbee and couple of side dishes. Nothing definite yet. Donations will be welcome. There's electricity nearby so that we may be able to set up some live music, but we haven't checked on availability. If not, we'll go with acoustic. Everyone is welcome to bring their instruments and jam.

We haven't started the paperwork that the Forest Service requires for a special use permit. That wouldn't be needed if the group was under 75 people and we don't charge an entry fee. We really don't want to charge anything, but can't say for sure there won't be less than 75. Response to the original inquiry was very good from all over the state.

We'd like to have T-shirts made up, but won't be able to give them away (without entry fee), so if you're interested in buying one, please respond (with sizes) so we have an idea on how many to order. Anybody out there a T-shirt artist?

There are a lot more details that need to be worked on and since I'm a procrastinator, it may be a while before it all gets done. As summer gets closer, we'll make a flier with the details. I hope you all can help spread the word. We've invited a representative from the Governor's office (she also rides bikes!), State Trails Council and staff, and State Parks people to attend. . " from t. easterly...

We have a race too, and had some locals form Casper come ride...I will forward the emails if you would like...pm me
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

Wyo
    Wyoming Rider
    Oct 2005

Casper

Be warned- Casper is a WINDY place and a cold windy place in the winter. Casper Mountain, however, has plenty of trails for summer biking and winter XC skiing.

Tracking up the place
    Take your pic...It's windy everywhere in wyoming because Idaho blows and SD and Nebraska sucks..... Just wating for time to use that.. I truly love my neighbors...

Ride in the trees, it cuts the wind and noise...

Wyo
    Wyoming Rider
    Oct 2005
    Nice reply. Glad I could help.
    Out from Lander

Tracking up the place
    I understand you have some good riding Lander way..You ride with Gene Mieier or Shad Hamilton much...I think they are in the general area....

Wyo
    Wyoming Rider
    Oct 2005
    I know Shad and rode with him and some others last year in Dubois. Riding in Lander is okay, but I would not call it great. We are slowly trying to change that....
    I have taken the past couple of years off from riding due the addition of a new baby, but this year I am ready to get back on the iron horse.

I still think the best area is around Dubois, but then we have to deal with the Grizzly Bears on a routine basis. If time permits, I will post some photos of the Bonneville Pass Trail that Shad took last summer. They are VERY impressive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    what do most of you guys out there ride for bikes? xc bikes, hardtails, full suspension, etc... does the terrain promote fs rides or are most people happy with hardtails. im coming from the north east so rocks and technical trails are nothing new. im just trying to get a feel for what people are riding out there.

thanks for the help.

matt

Wyo
    Wyoming Rider
    Oct 2005
    I live about 2.5 hours west of Casper at the base of the Wind River Mountains. I have been riding a Litespeed Unicoi, but just purchased a Rocky Mountain Element due to the "rocky" nature of the trails in and around Lander. So based on my own experience, I would choose a full suspension if you want to explore in the mountains. I don't ride around Casper so you will have to wait for someone to post a reply from there. There is a reason they are called the "Rocky Mountains".

Good Luck.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    casper mountain has some good trails out of bear trap meadow and there are some good ones out around alcova if you can find them and on muddy mountain things are starting to emerge as well
    [SIZE="5"]I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...[/SIZE]

Starts B, ends Rant.
    I was in Casper this weekend and here is what I found:

1. The local bike shop people are very friendly but they weren't a ton of help when it came to finding good rides. I visited two popular shops and was surprised at the small number of suggested rides. If your going, definately hassle them to tell you where the "old downhill course" is located. I could never figure it out. Backcountry Mountain Works has a monday ride that meets at the nordic center at 6:00pm. They weren't riding this week so I don't know what it is like but definately check that out for more ideas.

2. There are numerous trails in the Casper Mountain Park nordic ski center. Grab a map from backcountry mountain works on Poplar St. These trails are fun and there are some good short climbs. In two days, I was able to ride most everything on the map as they are short trails. To get there, go up Casper mountain road and take a left at the big fork. Park on the left side after the nordic center building (i believe this is the above referenced bear trap meadow).

3. There is a good, longer trail located in Rotary park at the base of Casper mountain. To get there, take a right off of Casper mountain rd. before you actually get to the mountain. You will drop down into a little valley full of homes. Take a left at the rotary park sign. Parking is easy. I couldn't find a map of the area so some exploration will be necessary. There is a path immediatly out of the parking lot which goes to a cool waterfall/make out and pot smoking spot. I noticed all of these activities when I rode up to this dead end. What you need to do is ride up the trail and take a right where it forks about 100ft. from the start. This will take you up to a road where you go left and climb for about a quarter mile to the Bridal trail head sign. You can climb straight up from here (I did it and ended up walking) or you can take a left at the trailhead and drop down then climb up some switch backs. When you get to the top you will come into another trail that heads south (you will bear to the right) and should go around the waterfall along a ridge. This is supposedly about 3-4 miles and has a good downhill back to the parking lot ont the other side of the waterfall. I didn't end up doing the whole thing but the part that I did do was fun and had some good climbing. I recommend exploring this area more if possible. I plan to do the entire trail with a GPS and post it to Trailcentral.com next time I make it up there. Good luck.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rant
    Old Downhill Course and Bridal Path
    I live in Casper and have for 22 years, there isnt an old downhill course at all. I can say with confidence that there isnt a bike with a dual crown fork in the whole town (barring stupid walmart ones). Not a downhill community. I used to work at Backcountry Mountain Works as a mechanic.

For rides there are acouple loops on Casper mountain, the race course, the loop between the mountains, the ice cave loop and a network of trails on muddy mountain. The bridal path which you rode is my favorite because it has a decent climb and a fantastic descent.

Mountain biking isnt a mainstream sport in this town at all. A handful of people ride alot but it is in no way popluar which sucks, and also shows due to the lack of trails.

Chris
    [SIZE="5"]I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...[/SIZE]

Starts B, ends Rant.
    Chris,
    Any possibility that you could post some simple instructions on how to get to some of those rides/loops? I live in Denver and my parents just moved to Casper. I will be visiting a couple of more times this summer and at least a few times in the fall. I would love to know where to go. I think it's funny that mountain biking hasn't caught on in Casper as the town reminds me of Golden CO in proximity to the mountains and Golden is a mecca. It was funny to ask people at the shops about where to "mountain bike" because the most common answer was the paved trail that goes through downtown by the river. Everyone is so nice that I didn't want to be a jerk but I thought about asking if they thought I could do it on my Yeti. Anyway, any help on directions would be appreciated. It seems like you and some of the other riders in town should put together a photocopied guide to the trails and sell it for a couple of bucks at the shops. Some directions and a couple of maps would really help newcomers. If you give me some directions to these places, I will try to GPS them all this summer and see if we can get a Casper section on TrailCentral.com. Good luck with Casper, I told a friend today that I really liked the town but I know why people who are from there tend to have a lot of negativity toward it.

Brant

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I know this thread is old but there is little info regarding Casper riding and this comes up first on a Google search for "Casper Mountain Biking". There are quite a few options and some hard climbs/downhill, technical terrain and easy trails. Check Fat Fish Racing and the shops. I would also point you in the right direction