mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Caribou Ridge trail 79 Question

I rode Beauty Creek and the upper section of Caribou Ridge yesterday for the first time. Great trails and well worth future visits (I just wish they were a little closer to town for after work rides).

I have heard that the lower section of Caribou is a bit sketchy so I avoided it on this trip, but how bad is it? Anybody got any pictures or video of it? I donít mind some rough trail but I donít want to risk death, specially because most of the time I ride solo. The loop from the camp ground up Beauty and down Caribou looks like a good one, but only if you can live through it.

Gary
    Last edited by All_talk; 07-27-2011 at 04:24 PM.
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    If you are uncomfortable riding alone on technical terrain on steep side slopes, I, do not recommend riding Caribou. Lower Caribou reminds me of the Portal in Moab. If you are comfortable riding the upper section of the Portal in Moab, you'll be fine riding Caribou.

Personally, I think it is a hoot. Others think it is too technical/difficult. You should do it at least once, but I think you may want to ride it with a partner.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    all talk

the exposure is the issue. Justdon't wreck downhill and you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Its not for everybody thats for sure. Its a bit risky but nothing you cant walk if you arent comfortable. Its only about the first 2 miles up from the campground, so you could always hike it first to see

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Tim, you make it seem so simpleÖ To keep from dying when you crash, just donít crash.

I do like a challenge so I may have to give it a go. Maybe I can find a local to take the lead.

Gary

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    gary

Last year i was riding caribou and was clipped in. I did the slow roll over the downhill side still clipped in. It was a very slow 20 foot fall. I was laughing upside down in the bushes.

What is your plan next thursday? I have to go on a business trip and my plane lands thursday afternoon.

tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thrusday is a no go for me Tim, I'll shoot you a PM.

Gary

Don't worry, be happy!
    I fell off of it walking my bike.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I am a cat 1 downhiller that can compete in the pro class.. plus I am young and dumb.. I ride clipped in and I can clean (as in never having to foot dab or unclip) the lower section of that trail if I am having an awesome day.. even without the exposure there is some serious tech sections. That being said it is doable to ride/hike down.

Its my favorite section of trail up their because I love tech riding.. its worth doing once and if you arnt scared of a little exposure then it really isn't that bad.

Magically generated from my Liberated Droid X.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

dude
    I've tried to find this "sketchy" portion of trail twice this year and haven't managed to get to it. I ride 257 up to the fire road, over to the beginning of caribou, down to the campground with the benches and down 79. The trail forks, left to double track and to the highway, and right took me down an abandoned logging road and met up with 257, which I descend.

am I missing out on fun trails?

-Joe

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    after the left, before the double track, take a right....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

dude
    Ah. I guess I'll have to make another trip up there. Rats

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    all talk

It was good riding the lower portion of trail 79 last night. lets do it again. and this time i will clear that obstacle that sent me over the side. I actually have some trail rash most of the way down my left side. It was fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the lead Tim, it was good fun. I didnít get a picture of you upside down but your smiling face shows up in a few others.

This was the most technical trail I have ridden so far and I will freely admit to walking some sections and dabbing on many others. I think with more practice on this kind of tech and a few more runs at this trail to find the best lines I could clean much of it but there are a few spots that seem near impossible (at least to me). I would love to watch the big boys hit some of this stuff, that first dropping switchback in particular. I do think that flats would have helped with the confidence to try a few more obstacles and a more downhill oriented bike would have helped a little too. Iím riding a 5Ē trail 29er (Stumpy FSR) and on this trail I can se the advantage of a slacker tighter bike.

(Note to the 29er fans: Iím a committed 29er lover and for 95% of what I ride the clown wheel bike kills. Iím sure someone with better skills than I could clean this trail on my bike. Iím just sayin, for this kinda stuff there might be a better tool for the job.)

Pixels bellow...

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caribou Ridge trail 79 Question-s100_3338.jpg  

Caribou Ridge trail 79 Question-s100_3339.jpg  

Caribou Ridge trail 79 Question-s100_3341.jpg  

Caribou Ridge trail 79 Question-s100_3336.jpg  

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    That switchback is the one thing that will mess up a clean run through on that trail.. About half the time I cant make the turn after the drop and have to unclip and dab to get myelf back on the trail.. but it is clean-able.. I have seen a few others clean it as well.. the other one that can be hard id the one that has the big dip and then has the root on top of the other side, normally I will have to kinda trials hop up the root, once again it is possible but it screws everyone up sometimes..

As I said I think its my favorite section of trail up there because I love the Technical challenges..

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    (to revive an old thread)

Wow- anyone that can clean the lower half of Caribou has some amazing skills! The first switchback is crazy hard as is the root "hole" that is spaced about perfect to be extremely difficult to get the front tire up over. And there are quite a few very steep rocky drops with serious consequences.

The other challenge with Caribou is that it's narrow enough that if you highside on any of the numerous rocks, roots, or trees you can easily get knocked off the trail down a very steep hillside or cliff. Being clipped in makes things quite interesting.

For a mellower ride... park at the bottom of 257 and ride up the beautiful singletrack (please hop off the trail for downhill riders since they'll be in such a state of bliss that they probably won't see you). Kudos if you can clean the whole climb since you have good skills combined with good fitness. The nice thing is that the trail was well laid out so that there are no real sustained climbs, just a great series of short steep sections followed by mellower ones that let you catch your breath. When you get to the top (second road) take a right on the road up to the top of 79 (Caribou) at the old campground. Come down 79 on perfect singletrack to 258 and then enjoy the upper part of that (short but tight, narrow, and sweet). From the clearing on 258 it's about 1.5 of narrow, fun XC style single/doubletrack where you'll end up intersecting the bottom half of 257 that you climbed up and can turn left to rail down through pine needle covered goodness to the car.

I call this the "teardrop" route for lack of a better name since it's not really an out-and-back and not really a loop.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: Caribou Ridge trail 79 Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmatero View Post
    (to revive an old thread)

Wow- anyone that can clean the lower half of Caribou has some amazing skills! The first switchback is crazy hard as is the root "hole" that is spaced about perfect to be extremely difficult to get the front tire up over. And there are quite a few very steep rocky drops with serious consequences.

The other challenge with Caribou is that it's narrow enough that if you highside on any of the numerous rocks, roots, or trees you can easily get knocked off the trail down a very steep hillside or cliff. Being clipped in makes things quite interesting.

For a mellower ride... park at the bottom of 257 and ride up the beautiful singletrack (please hop off the trail for downhill riders since they'll be in such a state of bliss that they probably won't see you). Kudos if you can clean the whole climb since you have good skills combined with good fitness. The nice thing is that the trail was well laid out so that there are no real sustained climbs, just a great series of short steep sections followed by mellower ones that let you catch your breath. When you get to the top (second road) take a right on the road up to the top of 79 (Caribou) at the old campground. Come down 79 on perfect singletrack to 258 and then enjoy the upper part of that (short but tight, narrow, and sweet). From the clearing on 258 it's about 1.5 of narrow, fun XC style single/doubletrack where you'll end up intersecting the bottom half of 257 that you climbed up and can turn left to rail down through pine needle covered goodness to the car.

I call this the "teardrop" route for lack of a better name since it's not really an out-and-back and not really a loop.
    That ride you described is the one that I recommend most to do out there. It's a great ride that gets you all the goodies that are up there.

I personally dig bottom of caribou, but I am willing to bet that there is only 15 people in the area that actually ride the majority of that bottom trail. And it's crazy to walk that trail. Everyone I hike it with tools, I always look at how hairy it actually is. When you riding, your just in the zone and don't focus on anything other then your foot wide trail and the lines up and over those rocks. And clipped in makes it all that much more fun!

Maybe I'll get around to making a go pro video of that trail. I just know that the second I strap a camera on, I won't be able to clean it anymore. That's how that stuff works.

Sent from my phablet