TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Be careful out there, kids!

Last night I was under the influence of excessive speed and glorious weather, and got tangled up in one of those bottomless sand traps that are now plaguing the footies.

A flight over the bars and a rag-doll crater later and now I've got two micro-fractures in my pelvis. I've also got a pair of crutches and a table loaded with pain management meds. The good kind.

I did hit my deductible and reached the FLEX spending goal though. At least I got that going for me.

In the ER, the fellow in the cube next to me had some cracked ribs from a similar incident. He wasn't nearly as entertaining as the lady taking a heroin jag, though. She couldn't even remember her name.

The ER staff said they're seeing an increased number of MTB-related injuries this fall.

So all I'm trying to say is be careful out there cos you don't want to cut short the rest of the season like I did.

Now I'll just have to count the days until ski season. I won't be riding the sofa, eating pork rinds, and feeling sorry for myself though. It was my own damn fault.

BTW no evac was required. Still no life-flight for me. I was 30ft from the road. I'll let you guess where I was.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Damn... I have been riding the foothills more this year then the past few years, And I guess coming from brown pow from up north I just assumed the sand pits were part of the "charm" of the foothills. Bummer to hear it's been claiming casualties. Heal up soon and hope the recovery goes well.

Bummer it wasn't an arm as I could have shown you how to tear the foothills up on a unicycle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    I was 30ft from the road. I'll let you guess where I was.
    Bombing the Crane creek golf cart trails and hit a bunker?

Sorry to hear it man - heal fast...

Look out!
    Too bad Twisted, hope you heal up soon. Was it the big sand trap behind Camels Back park?
    Ride the bike.

jalepenio jimenez
    either you are a more than fragile rag-doll or you splatted superman hard to crack your pelvi. sounds like end of the ride lackadaisiness...not something the ninja warrior is s'posed to fall prey to.

I'm facingt hernia surgery monday so empathize with you about being down for a spell. maybe we oughta get tpgether for a little arm wrestlin'.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid View Post
    Was it the big sand trap behind Camels Back park?
    It was the ramp above the gate across the street from the Foothills learning center. I was flying down from Chick ridge, I had the brilliant idea to roll it high and fast. The front wheel - a 29er even - got buried in the sand and the rest is history. Pretty much all my bodyweight landed on my hip after flipping over the bars.

The bike is fine. It's a Surly.

I'm digging the Percocet - which is manufactured by Endo Pharmaceuticals, which seems so appropriate.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm sorry to hear that Dirk. Heal up quick and complete!
    To ride another, many, many days.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

mtbr member
    Mattock for recovery? Hope you're off the bench soon. I'm trying to time my bench time for late november when the light goes away.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Don't get addicted. Not a laughing matter; I've seen many active healthy locals get hooked on pain killers. It's a nasty road back to recovery.

I'm digging the Percocet - which is manufactured by Endo Pharmaceuticals, which seems so appropriate.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here's to a quick recovery. Hope you're back riding soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i hear you. I slammed hard the other day in a very normal familiar spot that too was filled with moon dust. Resulted mainly in a violent loss of air and some nice purple bruising, no trip to ER. Hope you heal fast there, old man. And do come see us in the Tetons, some time when the horse affair is history.

mtbr member
    sorry to hear that man! Go easy.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Hope you heal up soon!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bummer...Happy healing!
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My season ended as well... ruptured a blood vessel in my eye trying to SS 8th st motorcycle trail and a couple other steepies... nice swirly blood inside my eyeball that I get to stare at for the next couple months...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sorry to hear about that! Heal up quickly! I was out riding Monday, and wow, very loose indeed. I have an intense system five front tire and even it plowed on me a little a couple times. Very un-nerving on a steep decent. Be safe everyone!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Two friends had serious crashes this weekend due to sand. Each mumbled something like "I was going down this trail like I have a thousand times and all of a sudden..."

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    First of all, sorry to hear about the crashes and injuries. Twisted, i wish you and the others mentioned in this thread a speedy recovery.
    Secondly, as i mentioned on the Boise Trails Information thread a few days ago, Trail 5 is getting really dangerous. I was out riding this evening from Camelsback up to Corrals and Scotts, via Red Cliffs. For the most part, these trails are still in pretty good condition. Normally, I like to look for loops, but with these conditions, "up and backs" give you the advantage of seeing the terrain on the climb, so you know where the danger zones are on the DH.
    Again, echoing the tone of this thread... Be careful.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Two friends had serious crashes this weekend due to sand. Each mumbled something like "I was going down this trail like I have a thousand times and all of a sudden..."
    3 1/2 weeks later and I'm on the stationary bike and can walk my dog around the block. Doing straight-thuggin hard time.

It's the trails you know that'll kill you.

It's the one's you don't that'll keep you coming back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    how is the recovery going twisted? None of us can ride with how wet it has been lately.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I traded my walker in for a rack of King Cobras because my stationary bikes is way moho.

I'm out of Percocets and I gotta get me some real dirt.

But I'm walking without pain, so I got that going for me. So thanks for askin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

MMmmmmm Cobras

I traded my walker in for a rack of King Cobras because my stationary bikes is way moho.

I'm out of Percocets and I gotta get me some real dirt.

But I'm walking without pain, so I got that going for me. So thanks for askin.
    With King Cobras yous don't needs no Perkies.

If you and your walker decide to go for a hike maybe Santa will give you a new set of loopers.

Good luck with the healing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yo Dirk. Am on the short bus with you for a little while. Just had arthroscopic meniscus clean-out yesterday. First PT this afternoon. Should up and at'em, atom ant, before too long, though.

But we got a foot of snow on the ground in Driggs, the crazies are skiing on the pass and at Targhee already. I can wait.

Will be in Salt Lake chez Zip next weekend, will tip one or two for you.
    take care my brother
    lw