Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Be careful out there!!!

Just wanted to pass along the text of an email I got yesterday from a fellow cyclist about a recent cycling-related incident:

I wanted to tell you that I was shot at the other day with a paint ball gun. I was on Seaman’s Gulch and had just passed the old Hill Road. A white Ford Ranger with red stripes popped a few rounds at me. They hit the guard rail and concrete barrier by the canal. I called the police once I got home…I have not heard a word. Earlier on the same ride (just before Pierce Park) – two kids on their cruiser bikes chased me down in a panic indicating they had been shot at….I blew them off, just thinking they were “goofy kids”.

He entitled the email "Rednecks v. Bikers." Be careful out there!

In better news, I had my first bike commute of the year this AM. My route takes me 14.27 miles one way, and I was able to average about 19.2 mph this AM. When it warms up some, I can usually get at least a 20mph average. Hooray for spring!

Hi!!!
    Wasn't it a couple of years ago when some Greenbelt riders were getting hit with paintballs around the Diversion Dam area?

mtbr member
    with the high level of road rage in boise..i just stay off the road. don't ride road bikes very much, but when i do, it's just an easy ride down the greenbelt..

seaman's gulch, i would think, is not really redneck road rage..but, just dumbass kids being dumbass kids...

but, if your on a downhill, clipping along pretty good and get nailed by a paint ball...chances are you're going down...and it could mean serious injury or even fatal...

only road riding i'd do on actual roads would be in a group of 3 or more...out in the country somewhere with less traffic....i used to ride a good bit of road back in SC...'cause there were nice windy, rolling, country roads...with less traffic...

but, there are way more roads there too...so, you can find good low traffic routes it seemed..anyway, i didn't move to idaho to road bike....

ohh...lastly...witnessed my first hill road takeover by a group of roadies yesterday....riding 4 wide taking up the entire lane...that's just dumb...at 5 pm too...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I just wear a John Deere team kit with a pack of Marlboros rolled up in the sleeve when I go out for road rides. I also wear BRC, NRA & Bud-Light Racing team kits too. Everyone seems really nice when I ride through Canyon and Gem counties wearing those kits.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Politically Incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Wasn't it a couple of years ago when some Greenbelt riders were getting hit with paintballs around the Diversion Dam area?

Yes, a guy I work with got hit while biking just above the diversion dam a couple years ago. It left a huge welt on his side. I think he sent a letter to the misStatesman about it that they published.

Politically Incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    I just wear a John Deere team kit with a pack of Marlboros rolled up in the sleeve when I go out for road rides. I also wear BRC, NRA & Bud-Light Racing team kits too. Everyone seems really nice when I ride through Canyon and Gem counties wearing those kits.

I would be careful about wearing your NRA kit in the north end, someone might throw their Birkenstocks or a Hemp bag at you.

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Just wanted to pass along the text of an email I got yesterday from a fellow cyclist about a recent cycling-related incident:

I wanted to tell you that I was shot at the other day with a paint ball gun. I was on Seaman’s Gulch and had just passed the old Hill Road. A white Ford Ranger with red stripes popped a few rounds at me. They hit the guard rail and concrete barrier by the canal. I called the police once I got home…I have not heard a word. Earlier on the same ride (just before Pierce Park) – two kids on their cruiser bikes chased me down in a panic indicating they had been shot at….I blew them off, just thinking they were “goofy kids”.

He entitled the email "Rednecks v. Bikers." Be careful out there!

In better news, I had my first bike commute of the year this AM. My route takes me 14.27 miles one way, and I was able to average about 19.2 mph this AM. When it warms up some, I can usually get at least a 20mph average. Hooray for spring!

Thanks for the heads up on the paintball jerks. That's a nice fast pace on the commute! Must be because the Salsa is a red bike, and we all know they are faster, eh?

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Contagious Xian

DH doods are safer

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Glad to see you got a nice commute man, good job! I rode for an hour (superdork) before work, felt real good. Not one other rider out there.

On this paintball thing, that just flat out is retarded thinking. Dumbazz kids for sure, I was one of them in my stoopid youth, I am ashamed to say. There is hope for the world though. If one were donning a full face helmet, body armor, goggles, and a monster rig the paintball would be but a small nuisance. So there you have it, commuting wear tips from SW Boise.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Thanks for the heads up on the paintball jerks. That's a nice fast pace on the commute! Must be because the Salsa is a red bike, and we all know they are faster, eh?

CDB
    It's a little known fact that orange bikes are faster than red bikes.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hi!!!
    Earthpig what is your route? Do you take Franklin all the way in? I didn't think that had a good shoulder, but then again they have had alot of construction over the past couple of years so maybe it's improved.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Earthpig what is your route? Do you take Franklin all the way in? I didn't think that had a good shoulder, but then again they have had alot of construction over the past couple of years so maybe it's improved.
    Starting from ParkCenter Blvd, I go through River Run to the greenbelt, take the greenbelt (mostly on the north side) from River Run to Americana, hop up on Americana to Emerald, and then take Emerald all the way out to where it turns to Executive and then Pine. At Eagle Rd., I turn south, cross Franklin, and then head west through the Woodbridge subdivision, which puts me on Locust Grove, just north of I-84. From there, it's about a mile to my office, taking Locust Grove south to the road that the old Jabil building is on, and then around the corner to the office. 14.27 miles and only one hill. Plus, traffic is very light on Emerald in the AM, so it's also a low-fume route. Afternoons usually take me 5 - 10 minutes longer (and a slower pace), normally because of headwinds, more traffic, and slower light changes. It's very much like an interval workout - stop at a light, sprint for a mile or half a mile to the next light, and then repeat the process.

Emerald from Americana to Orchard is the only bad part (4 narrow car lanes, no bike lanes and no center turn lane). From Orchard to Eagle, Emerald has nice, wide bike lanes. The downside is the stupid chip seal on the bike lane. Eagle has a nice wide shoulder to ride on (I usually pass about a 1/2 mile of cars backed up from the light at Franklin all the way to the light at Pine), and then the rest of the route is back roads. Nobody has shot (a gun) at me yet, but I've gotten flipped the bird a few times and had some rednecks in big pickups (what is it with cyclist-hating rednecks driving pickups?) swerve over in to the bike lane for kicks.

Take the Trestle Bridge and ride the GB behind the Masonry Center to get to the intersection of Irving & Orchard. Take Irving to Curtis and then Curtis to Emerald. Longer yes. Less traffic though. And there is a nice sidewalk on Curtis all the way to Emerald.

Don't take my word for it. I never commute by bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you see a black/dark blue car with a huge sublime sticker on the rear window try to get me the plate. Two twentie somethings tried to start something on eigth street. They pulled over like they were going to start a fight, I ran up to the car with a smile and they took off. They went about two blocks and yelled there coming for all us bike faggots and took off. So watch for them and let me know if when and where you see them.

King of the Barneys
    I'll keep an eye out. I never knew I even had a temper before I started doing a little road commuting. Early on, I was crossing legally at a light, but for laughs, some bubba jerks in a jeep laid on their super-loud horn just as I was passing perpendicular to them. They laughed and roared at how I jumped and almost crashed.

But sweet lil ole me? I hustled it across the street, threw my bike down, searched the ditch and found and 2x4 and went running after them. Luckily for me they'd already sped off. There's not a whole lot that can happen around here to make me madder than some doofi getting a good laugh at almost killing my kids' atm...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by smoking39
    If you see a black/dark blue car with a huge sublime sticker on the rear window try to get me the plate. Two twentie somethings tried to start something on eigth street. They pulled over like they were going to start a fight, I ran up to the car with a smile and they took off. They went about two blocks and yelled there coming for all us bike faggots and took off. So watch for them and let me know if when and where you see them.
    I just saw that car (pink sublime sticker) headed west on state street yesterday. The driver was the only one in the car and was wearing a faggotty looking white nit hat with a little brim.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

mtbr member
    all this faggoty talkin must get everyone on this board HOT and BOTHERED

It makes me feel funny in my tight cycling pants too.

wait a minute...back on topic

so if you guys are riding on the road you have to man up and deal with traffic. this is by far one of the easiest towns to commute in by bicycle that Ive ever witnessed and it really just comes down to obeying a few laws and keeping your eyes and ears open. heck there's bike lanes and wide shoulders and a greenbelt and small population..... does it get any better? leave the iPod at home and pay attention to whats going on around you. if dude tries to start something either let him have it or get the fuzz out!

cars are cages

rant mode. off

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I usually get along with all the people on the road. I ride my bikes everywhere. When someone goes out of there way to be an ass i tend to get pissed. Thats all.

In through the out door....

If they piss you off.....just remember 60% of the population is considered obese....and smile that you are on your bike....besides if they get mad at a guy on a bike, something already is wrong in their lives. (They probably don't know how to ride.)