mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Camping near jackson hole.

Planning a trip to Jackoson for Labor day weekend and I am looking for cheap camping options. Can anyone point me to some cheap places to camp with a 20 ft RV? Forest service campgrounds, unsupported sites, don't really need hookups just a decent place to camp for a few days near jackson.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

beater
    Locals might have better suggestions, but the Atherton Creek campground up the Gros Ventre road is pretty decent if you don't mind being ~30 min from town. I don't think you'd have any RV issues going that far. I spent several summers in the 90s working for a geology field camp up that way, so that's the part of the JH area I know the best.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Gros Ventre Campground, Camping in Grand Teton National Park - AllTrips

Campgrounds - Grand Teton National Park

We stayed at Gros Venture campground along the river a few weeks ago. Paved roads throughout the campgrounds. Descent facility, firewood and ice available at the check-in bldg. Drive through a herd of buffalo every day from town to campground, moose along the river, tree-huggers telling you to” slow down for the baby buffalo”, I said….. ‘they taste good sautéed in onions and mushrooms’, not sure what the tree-huggers might taste like. The campground is Close to town, reasonably quiet, plenty of room to maneuver an RV along with RV water and dump station. Don’t leave trash, coolers or cooking stuff outside, they will take it and ticket you up to $300 (I think). We had cell phone coverage as well in the campground. That could be a bad thing though. We are planning on riding the flow and jump trails at Teton Village Labor Day weekend as well.

Area trails maps can be purchased at Hoback sports and they gave me $4.00 discounts tickets for the pass to ride chair up to the new fun stuff. No special protective gear needed for trials. If you have any bike skills at all you’ll be fine. My wife rips down Bronco trail without pads. I convinced her to lower the seat a bit…much better. See my posts in the thread below:

Jackson Hole Bike Park

Very fun trails for all levels. Cross country can ride everything there if that is your thing. I launched all jumps with a 6” travel Specialized Pitch Pro with no concerns and I’m 220lbs. I did upgrade to a Marz freeride fork.
    Jackson Hole Freeride Mountain Bike Edit 2011- GoPro - YouTube!
    Lucky charm trail - Bing Videos
    Brandon @ teton Village Video - Pinkbike Bronco Trail
    The last 5 big berms at the end of the trail were under construction and not included in any videos but DONE and FUN when we got there. No more gravel road at the end. I can’t comment on the XC trails in the area.

Who would you recommend for property management in Hurricane? We have a little place near Sky Mountain Golf Course currently rented out right now and will need a new property management company soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I will check out gross venture.

Its first come first serve so I will just have to see if there is a site open when I get there. I was able to reserve a site at an RV park in Alpine so we can start there and see if we find better options. Im looking for XC style riding. 3-4 Hour rides with up to 5000 feet of climbing are ok. What are the epic must to XC trails.

As far as hurricane goes I have a cousin in the area that watches over our vacation rental. I don't have any experience with a property management group. I do know that Jenson property management is about the biggest one out there, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Are you looking to rent it on a year lease or what?

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There is the Virginian RV park in town, not sure how much it is. If you stay in Apline, you are about 30-40 minutes from the riding in Jackson. If you consider the Virg. you are very close to the trails in town, there is a trailhead across the street and a 10 drive the the Teton Pass trails.

Some classics based on your description:
    The Race Course--in town--Ferrins>West Game Creek>Game Creek>Putt Putt or Hagen back to the start

Ridge Trail (Teton Pass area)-25 mile loop

Blacks Canyon

Check out the riding in Teton Valley and Grand Targhee, great new trails at the 'ghee

You can look at friendsofpathways.org for maps

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I know a few hundred free sites in Teton Valley (and maybe, possibly a trail or two ;-) feel free to PM me. Much more low key than anywhere in Jackson, and a few hundred miles of trails with no people on them. No worries on RV camping if you don't need hookups.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Other Side of the Tetons

Just found this on Vimeo. Might want to go give the Targhee side a try.

Wydaho Bike Festival Highlight Reel on Vimeo

I had no idea.

beater
    Yeah, it's really good. I went down for Wydaho, and the trails are impressive. It's worth your time.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Its first come first serve so I will just have to see if there is a site open when I get there. I was able to reserve a site at an RV park in Alpine so we can start there and see if we find better options. Im looking for XC style riding. 3-4 Hour rides with up to 5000 feet of climbing are ok. What are the epic must to XC trails.

As far as hurricane goes I have a cousin in the area that watches over our vacation rental. I don't have any experience with a property management group. I do know that Jenson property management is about the biggest one out there, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Are you looking to rent it on a year lease or what?
    Much more of the epic style riding in Teton Valley than in Jackson. I'd do one loop around Targhee (Teton Canyon- up Mill Creek-Cold Springs-Targhee-Rick's Basin-Lightning ridge/loop-down Mill Creek to the car. That's probably 20 miles and 4-5000' of climbing. Next I'd do a Big Hole loop, something like S.Horseshoe-Elk Flat-S.Canyon-N.Canyon-S. Horseshoe or the Big Hole Crest if you can set up a shuttle. On the Pass the best bet would be Arrow-Phillips Canyon-Phillips Ridge-Snotel, or Arrow-Snotel-Phillips ridge and then hitch back up from Wilson if you're looking for an easier day.

Good Camping in Teton Canyon (free or fs campground). Trail Creek Campground is close to the pass on the Idaho side.

Stop in Driggs and spend money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any GPS files for these rides?

All the suggestions sound great. Anyone have GPS files or links to Strava/GTC that a guy could follow??? I have to meet some people in jackson but could hit other areas fr and sat. How far from jackson is this grand tahree??

PM me

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Driving Directions :: Grand Targhee Resort

Jackson over the pass to Victor, Idaho then to Driggs then to Alta,WY about 48 miles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    And here is a relatively new site that has most all the info in one place: Teton MTB

Three great bike shops over here in Teton Valley: Fitzgeralds in Victor, then Peaked and Habitat in Driggs.

Best XC riding variety is over in Teton Valley, but Snow King has a great circuit (Cache- Hagen- Ferrins- Game- Cache) and don't miss the Arrow Trail/ Phillips Ridge rides.