jones'in

Bozemanites: Tandem recommendations?

I think I wanna build up a tandem for my wife and I to ride around downtown (w/ the kid in tow). It'll go off road periodically too, so it should be burly enough to handle that too. I'm thinking that Bozeman Creek is probably the roughest thing this bike would see.

I'm totally new to tandems, but I'm a bike nerd (read: capable of putting one together from parts). What recommendations do you have and do you have a tandem you want to unload?

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Venom, the tandem my wife and I just picked up at the bike swap, and are very much in love with, is a mid-90's Burley "Rock and Roll". It has a rigid steel frame with a Thudbuster ST seatpost for the stoker.

So far it seems perfect for the kind of riding we do (pavement, dirt roads, ATV trails, and a very small amount of singletrack). My only complaint is that the captian's cockpit is a little short but a longer stem has really helped with that. A suspension fork might be nice too but I don't feel it's really neccessary and there are issues with what kind of fork is truely rated for tandem use and what it might do to the handling on an older bike that wasn't designed for it.

If you can wait until the bike swap, there's been one or more tandems for sale each of the last 3 years. There's also an older Santana MTB for sale at 2nd Wind but they're asking too much for it IMO.