mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Bowery creek to the north fork of the big lost?? help

I want to do a point to point this weekend from either direction ( east fork of the Salmon start or big lost river start) Does it matter where I start? is one way easier than the other....? I have ridden from the north fork side through Hunter creek, out and back. I have never been from the other direction, so I do not know what lies inbetween. I would do a loop if one existed but I am afraid it may be a bit longer than what my late season beer fitness will allow me to do. I know that there is East Pass creek and then into Bowery creek, from the maps, but what are these two trails like? In reality it could be a big day with unforseen things. I enjoy hike a biking but when it's all hike I tend swear a lot. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    I know some people that did it and they said it was a lot of bushwackin and gettin lost. They didn't get done til after dark and it was about an eight hour ordeal. They also said it was awesome and a must do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well, went went out and back from the East fork side and it was epic. It was very rideable for the most part. On the way back you have a pretty big Hike from East Pass Creek back into Bowery Creek, 20 min or so. other than that it was very good. I will go from the Hunter creek side to the east fork for the point to point and it should only take about 3-4 hrs. We were about 6 hrs, but blew up a set of brakes so that took a bit of time. Thanks for the help. That area is blowing my mind with the amount of big rides around!
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Any pictures?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report. I'll second the request for pictures.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sorry, no pics. I suck with the digital stuff. If you do go into the area right now, it is incredible. The aspens are going off. When you drop into East Pass Creek from Bowery Creek you will see the brightest orange aspens ever! it's insane.
    The above is very true. But, if you want a great ride in this area I would go up little boulder, all the way past frog lake jct. over into the chamberlan basin and down chamberlan creek into germania and continue out into the east fork. This is a top three bike a hikes ever for me. You will get a view of Castle peak that is, ridiculously mind blowing, and again, the colors are great right now. The boulder, castle, chamberlan loop is a bit more rideable. The time frame is about the same.
    I will work on the picture thing, my buddy had a camera.
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    I wish I could go now. Looking at some plans for next year, including the Frog lake ride. You sound knowledgeable on the area up there, would you happen to know anything about what looks like the scramble from the Boulder Chain lakes over into Ant's Basin?

Apologies in advance for the thread hijack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have not done that connector. I believe you would be up against a lot of scrambling through the rocks, not sure though. My friend has a ranch up the east fork and has done some bigger backpacking trips all through there and told me NO on that one, to hard. That being said, I would like to do it. I think you will need a way to strap bike to back to use both hands climbing. I would atleast be ready for something like this. Once over the top and into born lake you will rip out of Ants basin down into williams creek or all the way out robinson bar. Williams would be the easiest and robinson bar the funnest, most epic. I think this ride would be the grand daddy of the white clouds. Boy, I would love to hear about someone doing this ride. Next year we want to do a 4 day point to point starting at the N fork of the big lost, into E.pass creek bowery, camp. Little boulder chamberlain germania smiley creek, camp, Vienna or alturus into the big smokey/ross fork area(not sure of best route here, funnest not easiest) and then last day just goof around in the area on willow creek, soak at Baumgarter tubs and drink to a coma all the way home.
    let me know if you complete that ride. it would be a killer.
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Ryon,

That sounds like a killer ride you're planning. I too have been planning (scheming, maybe a better term) a multiday in that area. One was to start at willow, work my way over to Atlanta, back over to Ross Basin and over to Alturas, over to Smiley and down Big Smokey and back. A shorter version maybe of what you're planning. Another option was to start over by 4th of July lake and somehow loop the frog lakes and over to Ant's and out Robinson bar (I've been from Ant's out Williams, but not Robinson). Anyway, I'm still in the early planning part so it's nice for all the info I can find. Thanks for your input.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke
    I wish I could go now. Looking at some plans for next year, including the Frog lake ride. You sound knowledgeable on the area up there, would you happen to know anything about what looks like the scramble from the Boulder Chain lakes over into Ant's Basin?

Apologies in advance for the thread hijack.
    I've done the route from Boulder Chain to Ant's Basin. There's a well-defined trail through the lakes that takes you south of Windy Devil and traverses to a high, rocky ridge above Born Lakes. IIRC, it's about 40-50% rideable but fairly easy walking. At the ridge is where scrambling starts. It's very steep and loose down to the lakes but doable. Use some mountaineering safety and go one-at-a-time in an offset to keep from beaning someone with a falling rock.

Here's some crappy pics that give you the idea.
    Hiking up to/through Boulder Chain Lakes
    whiteClouds_9.jpg
    whiteClouds_10.jpg
    Leaving the lakes heading SSE toward Ant's Basin
    whiteClouds_17.jpg
    The "scramble" down to Born Lakes (see the lakes in background).
    whiteClouds_24.jpg
    Looking back from Born Lakes towards the ridge you've just come down
    whiteClouds_23.jpg
    whiteClouds_25.jpg

mtbr member
    Yes, very helpful. About how long did it take to get over to the Born Lakes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke
    Yes, very helpful. About how long did it take to get over to the Born Lakes?
    It's been about 4yrs but I seem to recall it took ~45min-1hr, it's a short distance. There is a good description of this route in Backpacking Idaho by Doug Lorain, although the direction is reversed.

mtbr member
    Thanks much. If I accomplish this in the next year or two, I'll post up a report.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    pdlhrd,
    was the trail easy to follow? That is an awesome route. did you go out warm springs or robinson bar? I am full of envy. Would you do the ride again?
    thanks,
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by butryon
    pdlhrd,
    was the trail easy to follow? That is an awesome route. did you go out warm springs or robinson bar? I am full of envy. Would you do the ride again?
    thanks,
    Ryon
    We did a counter-clockwise loop starting & stopping at 4th of July trailhead. The trail from Boulder Chain to the ridge is defined and it's mostly line-of-sight travel. There is no defined trail from the top of the ridge to the Born Lakes but you should see an obvious low point on the ridge to start climbing down.

Yeah, I'd do it again. Our route made for a big day but we had a good group and were well prepared. Awesome country!