Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bonzai

mtbr member

Bonzai

I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of the board members up at the Bonzai today. What an awesome ride! I had forgotten how long and steep the climb was though. I thought that the 'ol Epic would not have nearly enough suspension for the race, but I was more than pleased. I felt sorry for a lot of the down hillers who were pushing their bricks up to Eagleson summit. I was expecting the down hill bikes to be kicking as* on the way down but I didn't see a single one in front of me.

Any good stories?
    Carnage?
    Thoughts on the race?
    BoiseBoy

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Russell got royally owned on one of the corners on Ridge road.

You noticed me in the lift line. That was a pleasant surprise...

And downhill bikes rule. I passed at least 4 people in mid-air throughout the race... So much fun...

More tomorrow. I think I'll go to bed now. If I die in my sleep, it was from dirt inhalation.

Trevor

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    SNIP

Any good stories?
    Carnage?
    Thoughts on the race?
    The start was interesting. About 100 or so bikers on a dirt road going downhill was a recipie for disaster. I still don't know how I managed to stay upright through the first couple of miles.I came around one corner to see several bikes down, a couple off the edge and being carried up to the road. It was fun, once it got thinned out. I must have inhaled about a pound of dirt in the initial mile. The rest of the race was fine until some loose deep sand grabbed my front wheel and put me down . I was able to hop back up, do a body check for damage, and head on down 8th street for some beer and music. I came away with a small laceration on my lower left leg and a big grin. Just another day at the races.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member

A little skin donation to the mtb gods

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid
    The start was interesting. About 100 or so bikers on a dirt road going downhill was a recipie for disaster. I still don't know how I managed to stay upright through the first couple of miles.I came around one corner to see several bikes down, a couple off the edge and being carried up to the road. It was fun, once it got thinned out. I must have inhaled about a pound of dirt in the initial mile. The rest of the race was fine until some loose deep sand grabbed my front wheel and put me down . I was able to hop back up, do a body check for damage, and head on down 8th street for some beer and music. I came away with a small laceration on my lower left leg and a big grin. Just another day at the races.
    Glad to hear you had fun. I almost ran into the same wreck a mile or two down the road. I saw one of the guys go over the top, bike flying up in the air, elbows and as* holes everywhere!
    Somewhere near the top of 8th street I managed to break two rear spokes when I flipped up a rock while getting into a corner pretty hard. I didn't know that I had busted them until I was at the Co-Op. I rode home on the mellow pavement and was scared because my rear wheel was so out of whack. Seems funny to even worry about it as I just spent the preveous 8 miles bombing down at near 40mph.
    BoiseBoy

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    The Pig called me at 830 and compained about obligations and responsibilities and how he couldn't make it. During the event I left my intestines on the switchbacks up from the bottom of chair 3 but I did manage to clean most of it. I thought about bailing the whole scene and dropping into Dry Creek - Nels' pics made me regret my decision. On the grade up Eagleson Summit I mashed past a whole buttload of kids whole looked like they were dressed for a cheap remake of Mad Max. At the bottom I found Leffaux who said something about not having the right innertube and having raced CX the day before. It was OK I guess but I would have rather done it in the opposite direction and on a cross bike.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    wow, I have never raced before, and the start was a total shock. I have hardly riden with one or two people, and to have very agressive people all aorund me was strange. I am just very excited I was not involved in any of the carnage, and I felt pretty good throughout the race, other than the very ling up-hill, unfortunatly, I had to walk it. I loved passing people on the downhill, it felt so great!!
    I had to leave shortly after finishing, due to the wife needing to do home work, so I did not get to see the results. I think I crossed the finish line with aj, was that you? I was riding a fs carbon fiber bike, were you on a blue spec hard tail?
    well back to work for now, Jarrod

Hoops - Big and Small
    I missed out on the Flaming Alligators - Anybody see them?

The LeMans start is not for the Bonzai - I was not going to put my bike in danger, ie somebody stepping on my spokes by accident. So I parked my bike way up the hill to keep it out of harms ways.

I had to pick my way through a bunch riders - fun but I'am still coughing up dust this morning.

For anybody that had to put up with my yelling "Get Going Faster Damn it" I apologize I got caught up in the race.

I had a DHer (red Spec I think) pass me, he looked very smooth bombing the fire road on a nice sweeping left hander, made me wish I had 67 HTA with plenty O travel.

I stopped to remove some clothing - oops I thought I was a racer, silly me.

I got to start racing once I headed down 8th, my legs finally got under me and I got to chase some rabbits.

I had a fun sprint to the finish line - I caught up with another rider bumpin and sprinting for the finish line. Good natured sport no harm no foul.

When the finish times get posted Bump this post to share our finish times

mtbr member

SJ and I

Went on a pleasant SS ride in the foothills (nice and quiet). While going up 8th, we saw Boiseboy finish and what looked to be like El Taquito only a few seconds behind him... Saw EP in the reserve on our way back doing a solo SS ride and we chatted briefly about the mind clearing qualities the simplicity of solo SS rides gives oneself...
    On to the Co-op to check out the scene and SJ snapped a few shots... I think that's El Taquito on the left... From the jumps and drops he was pulling, it looks like his little banditos are back to normal...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Went on a pleasant SS ride in the foothills (nice and quiet). While going up 8th, we saw Boiseboy finish and what looked to be like El Taquito only a few seconds behind him... Saw EP in the reserve on our way back doing a solo SS ride and we chatted briefly about the mind clearing qualities the simplicity of solo SS rides gives oneself...
    On to the Co-op to check out the scene and SJ snapped a few shots... I think that's El Taquito on the left... From the jumps and drops he was pulling, it looks like his little banditos are back to normal...
    Did the USFS come in with chainsaws and tear down the wooden ramps??

Hoops - Big and Small
    The FS Rangers were at the top of 8th street keeping traffic off the course - Very Nice!

I hope somebody asked them (the FS Rangers) to come down and see how the sport is progressing.

Huge props to Wiley (sp?) for putting on the Dual Free - That guy should be doing his own races. I would show up to watch kids flying off ramps.

Where was Jerry Vanderpool? He could of jumped the whole damn thing.

Thanks Flip for the photos!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ya the Bonzi was a blast even tho i was pushn a DH bike the race was still great. Dont know how well I did but I think I did ok since I finished in around the middle of the pack so I hope. The hike was hard and the dust at the beg. was worse becuase you couldn't see 5feet infront of you but the rest of the DH on 8th St was great. My bro has a nice 6in rotor burn I think its 1st deg. but maybe worse of a shimono. I know the first 1-2miles when it was that huge pack my rotors were burning hot just beucase we were so close to each other but this is the first race that I have ever been to when I was not the only rider walking up a hill it was nice being able to at least have a short convo.

I do think Ron did a great job with the events. Cant wait to do next years.

I talked to Jerry earlier this year and he said he wasn't going to do many races since he has a kid of his own and really adores him.

Hope no one was really hurt I saw one fellow amost fall off a corner at full speed probaly would of had to be air lifted out if he did.

Great race......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    The FS Rangers were at the top of 8th street keeping traffic off the course - Very Nice!

I hope somebody asked them (the FS Rangers) to come down and see how the sport is progressing.

Huge props to Wiley (sp?) for putting on the Dual Free - That guy should be doing his own races. I would show up to watch kids flying off ramps.

Where was Jerry Vanderpool? He could of jumped the whole damn thing.

Thanks Flip for the photos!
    It's nice to see a marathon-Super D event close to town (at least ending in town). It's the next big thing since 24 hour racing and pump tracks...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    the mind clearing qualities the simplicity of solo SS rides gives oneself....
    That's so existential I could puke. It's about titties and beer, man.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    While going up 8th, we saw Boiseboy finish and what looked to be like El Taquito only a few seconds behind him...

That was BoiseBoy? There was one xc dude who would pass me one every uphill and then I'd fly past him on the downhill only to get passed again at the next flat spot, and then he ended up a second or two ahead of me...

Tis me getting beaten. What a sad thing it was. Something in my drivetrain is screwed, so my chain kept popping, so I had to lock my derailleur into a gear, and it was simply too high to be competitive... But it was a really fun event anyways...

This was by far the most fun day of racing I've ever had just due to the variety of things to do... Here's how the races went for Trevor's Dad Racing (That's seriously our team name)
    By the way, Trevor's Dad Racing consists of:
    Trevor Thornton (Me,16)
    Kyle Thornton (Little 9 year old brother)
    Chris Thornton (12 year old brother, broken arm)
    Russell Carpenter (Cuban Revolutionary,15)
    Nick Silva (Not Hispanic, 16)
    Ken Thornton (My Daddy, 45 years young)

We woke up 5 in the morning, made bacon with no shirts on, and ate ice cream for breakfast. Then we letf at about 6, realized we forgot stuff and left again at 6:15. We got to Bogus around 7 with some gratuitious speeding on the way, and were the first riders to sign up for the ensuing events.

Our amazingly awesome sponsor (My Dad) gave Russell, Kyle and myself private shuttles so there was no wait time but we ended up getting only 1 practice run...

Anyways, Russell and Kyle rode the easier beginner course, and I rode the tougher sport, expert, pro course. In my one and only race run, I felt terrible. Around every corner, I thought I was going to die, and all in all it felt like a horribly slow run except in a sparse few places. I got to the bottom, collapsed from the exhausting 300+yd sprint to the finish, and didn't even bother checking on my time. Every time for the next hour or two anyone asked me how I did, I told them it was slow and in general a crappy run.

I couldn't have been a lot more wrong... I got a 2:20, which was just 11 seconds slower than the fastest of the day, and was 1st in my class. I was psyched!!!
    Russell got 1st also, and Kyle got 2nd only because he took a wrong turn on the poorly marked course.

Not too shabby!

Then we chilled for a while and got a ride up to Deer Point. After about half an hour up there, out of nowhere Ron blows the horn, and I nearly dumped a load in my brand new shorts... Not exactly expecting him to do it without warning us...

Anyways, I took off and was actually the head of the pack until the first little uphill, at which about 50 guys passed me. From then on it just got worse. On that little steep short cut, there was about 20 retarded 12 year old XC riders in my way skidding and crashing the whole way down, so I had a few options to take:
    A) Ride down single file and be slow
    B) Go around and avoid them
    C) Help up the kids who crashed
    D) Pass them at 40mph like a badass while missing them by about 2 inches.

I took D.

From then on, my ass began to recieve the worlds worst ass kicking, and riding up Eagleston Summit, I thought I might die. To think of it, I wasn't exactly riding. More like pushing actually. But once I hit that last corner and could see the top, I turned the gas on. I passed the scary redneck houses like Speed Racer, and from then on it was one hell of a ride.

I had my first awesome passing experience on the rock section right before the entrance to trail 4. It was really pretty comical because this guy in front of me kept trying to not get passed by me by pedaling as hard as he could, but when he got to the rock garden, he slowed to about 5mph, and I was pedaling as hard as I could through it doing at least 45mph. The feeling of passing someone while floating through a section that's killing them is awesome. Then it seemed like every time I wanted to pass someone, there was a little bump off which I could launch myself from and clear 40 feet of ground. So I managed to pass quite a number of people either in the air, having just landed, or about to launch one.

Finally, I cought up to nick, and we rode down together for a while, and then I took off on him too and just kept going. Once we hit the fairly flat washboard stuff, the race was really mine, and I was glad I hauled my 40 pound bike up Eagleston Summit now. Then it was over and I couldn't have been a whole lot happier to see Ron. I'm sure who was next to me at the finish, but we ended up doing a fight to the death sprint to the end... ended up getting a 59:16...

Finally on hitting the co-op, I collapsed and laid there for about 15 minutes, got some free food and practiced on the dual free. On that event, I got 2nd, which was really pretty dissapointing for me just because I had really bad runs both times, but they were still good enough for 2nd...

Dad finished behind me at a respectable 1:16, and Russell died so he got like 2 hours...

And Kyle the 9 year old finished at about 2 hours! Youngest ever Banzai participant there! Everyone was super impressed that he raced it and rightfully so. Last week when we rode the course, he barely made it, and this time he made it quite admirably.

Then the awards were awesome! The Trevor's Dad Racing medals were as such:
    Trevor- 1st in DH, 2nd in Dual Free, 2nd in DH series points, 3rd in the Banzai
    Russell- 1st in DH, 5th in the Banzai, and 1st in DH series points.
    Kyle- 2nd in DH, 1st in the Banzai, and if they did under 12 series DH points, they'd be his.
    Nick Silva- 3nd in the Dual Free

For my fastest sport DH time, I got a $40 Reed's cycle certificate, and for the series points, I got $75 carbon fiber cables. I also won a shirt in the raffle too.

Russell got a cool vest, $250 shoes, and a great amount of glory for winning the Beginner DH series.

So that about sums up my Banzai experience. I think my dad took some pictures of the DH, but he just left town this morning for a week, so it could be a while...

Trevor

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn

He built the Pomerelle DH course and it was nothing short of amazing.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    The Pig called me at 830 and compained about obligations and responsibilities and how he couldn't make it. During the event I left my intestines on the switchbacks up from the bottom of chair 3 but I did manage to clean most of it. I thought about bailing the whole scene and dropping into Dry Creek - Nels' pics made me regret my decision. On the grade up Eagleson Summit I mashed past a whole buttload of kids whole looked like they were dressed for a cheap remake of Mad Max. At the bottom I found Leffaux who said something about not having the right innertube and having raced CX the day before. It was OK I guess but I would have rather done it in the opposite direction and on a cross bike.
    I should have bailed like EP. It would have been cheaper and more fun.

I've never had a DNF in a race, ever (before this weekend). This weekend I manged to rack up two! Both Saturday's CX, and Sunday''s SS races were marred by my feeling like crap, and goathead thorns.

I was feeling super weak on the bike, and planned on a slow climb followed by a fun downhill. Unfortnately, before I managed to get to the fun downhill my front tire sprung a goathead-induced slow leak. Not to be beaten, after attempts to reinflate it, I pulled out my extra tube, only to find that it fit my road bike, and not my mountain bike. Arghhh... it looked like the right size as I grabbed it heading out the door. I tried to patch the leaky tube, but for the life of me could not find the hole. I'd pulled the goat head out, but there was no sign of where the air was leaking, so I had no idea where to put the patch. Again, argghhh..

I might give up riding.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Little Ranchero

Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    That was BoiseBoy? There was one xc dude who would pass me one every uphill and then I'd fly past him on the downhill only to get passed again at the next flat spot, and then he ended up a second or two ahead of me...
    Trevor
    Sorry Trev, not me! I think I passed you way up on the ridge road and didn't get passed once I got over Eagleson.
    I ended up fininishing a few minutes earlier than your time.
    I have never thought of myself as a strong DHer, but I guess when you weigh as much as a Honda Civic it tends to help with the downward momentum!
    BoiseBoy

mtbr platinum member
    The race was a blast. LeMans style start to narrow dirt road was pretty fun. I railed the very edge of the road to stay out of trouble and gain any sort of visibility that I could, which worked really well. The climb sucked, but when don't they. 8th street was fun, and I had a blast doubling up some of the rocky sections to make passes. Hit 40mph on the road which was the highlight of my day.

Props to DelTaco for doing all of the events of the day. Mad skills. You must have some crazy genes in your family. It's hard to belive the skills that your family has at their ages. Great job.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    Sorry Trev, not me! I think I passed you way up on the ridge road and didn't get passed once I got over Eagleson.
    I ended up fininishing a few minutes earlier than your time.
    I have never thought of myself as a strong DHer, but I guess when you weigh as much as a Honda Civic it tends to help with the downward momentum!
    Oh...
    I was counting the people I passed after eagleston, and I stopped after 15 about half way down , so I know I caught quite a few...

Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    The race was a blast. LeMans style start to narrow dirt road was pretty fun. I railed the very edge of the road to stay out of trouble and gain any sort of visibility that I could, which worked really well. The climb sucked, but when don't they. 8th street was fun, and I had a blast doubling up some of the rocky sections to make passes. Hit 40mph on the road which was the highlight of my day.

Props to DelTaco for doing all of the events of the day. Mad skills. You must have some crazy genes in your family. It's hard to belive the skills that your family has at their ages. Great job.
    And yeah, it's a blast just skimming over the tops of the rocks. I was full sprint in my highest gear over the toughest one, and it didn't even phase me. There was a photographer, so of course my front wheel didn't touch the wheel during that entire section...

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, the kid who crossed the finish in a badass wheelie at the co-op was Nick. He rode it all the way from the real finish...

And thanks for the compliment on the race team. It just consists of myself, my brothers, two friends and my dad who ends up paying for and taking us to the races...

Trevor
    Last edited by DelTaco; 10-12-2006 at 04:50 PM.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider16
    Ya the Bonzi was a blast even tho i was pushn a DH bike the race was still great. Dont know how well I did but I think I did ok since I finished in around the middle of the pack so I hope. The hike was hard and the dust at the beg. was worse becuase you couldn't see 5feet infront of you but the rest of the DH on 8th St was great. My bro has a nice 6in rotor burn I think its 1st deg. but maybe worse of a shimono. I know the first 1-2miles when it was that huge pack my rotors were burning hot just beucase we were so close to each other but this is the first race that I have ever been to when I was not the only rider walking up a hill it was nice being able to at least have a short convo.

I do think Ron did a great job with the events. Cant wait to do next years.

I talked to Jerry earlier this year and he said he wasn't going to do many races since he has a kid of his own and really adores him.

Hope no one was really hurt I saw one fellow amost fall off a corner at full speed probaly would of had to be air lifted out if he did.

Great race......
    If this is Kenne which I believe it is, you were 10 minutes behind me, so you got 4th.

It was pretty funny that as far as you could see in both directions everyone was pushing their bikes. I talked to Morgan Kent for a few minutes and then I put my headphones back in and started to bust ass almost running up the hill.

Trevor

Contagious Xian
    Great write-ups, wonderful mojo display. You almost got me interested in racing for next season...

King of the Barneys
    Wow, dood! That is awesome! Way to get out there and own the mountain!

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yes this is Kenne..

Trev. one thing I laugh at is how you think you know everything. When you were talking to Steve from Dirt Dart you were telling hem that you cant put a tire on a rim with our ripping the tire and he say yes you can its just harder and you fighting over it with him thats not really nice. And then you saying you didn't do well on a race becuase of a bike problem dude its not the bike that makes the rider its the rider. I'm not trying to cause anything with you on this site but dude it seems like you haven't changed. Passing people at 40mph 2in away is abit over stated dude.
    Hope by next year things change if not well Russel and Carl and who ever else you ride with will be the only people you ride with like right now.

And dude what was up with you cutting off Tully for and not letting him pass you and when he did and left u in his dust when you passed him on the DH why did you cuss him out. And then you throw up rocks by sliding your tire. That was very un sportsmen like. Even tho you are Trevor "The Great" that made you go to your lowest point ever. He has never done anything to you and when you pull a stunt like that that really makes me angry.

But on the onther better note the race was probaly my best race yet on the terms of having the most fun. And I thought I did worse then 4th but if I did then thats really kool I was hoping for a top 10 not sure how many in my class but if I did 4th thats kool I'm just glad I'm alive the dust was killer. And so was the hill but it was well worth the hike up.

And on a sadder note Kyle Bickford (SP) is leaving us till next year and Roland Forbes made a thank you thread on Pink Bike and I just thought I would say it on here. Kyle thanks for everything you'll be missed sorry about everything thats going on. You have been amazing I remember at the beg. of this year when you had some what of a hard time keeping up with me and now I'm so slow I dont even see you pass me because of how fast you are. Cant wait for next year to ride with you.. Peace dude it was nice seeing you tonight for 1 last time... You'll be strongly missed by alot...

Is any one going to on Sat. to Tamarack for the Kranked 6 video. And Dirt Dart has a DH clinic going on from like 9am till 2pm. Now its time to sleep or something. Peace everyone.

Hi!!!
    Wow! Awesome!

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider16
    When you were talking to Steve from Dirt Dart you were telling hem that you cant put a tire on a rim with our ripping the tire and he say yes you can its just harder and you fighting over it with him thats not really nice. And then you saying you didn't do well on a race becuase of a bike problem dude its not the bike that makes the rider its the rider.
    And dude what was up with you cutting off Tully for and not letting him pass you and when he did and left u in his dust when you passed him on the DH why did you cuss him out. And then you throw up rocks by sliding your tire. That was very un sportsmen like. Even tho you are Trevor "The Great" that made you go to your lowest point ever. He has never done anything to you and when you pull a stunt like that that really makes me angry.

But on the onther better note the race was probaly my best race yet on the terms of having the most fun. And I thought I did worse then 4th but if I did then thats really kool I was hoping for a top 10 not sure how many in my class but if I did 4th thats kool I'm just glad I'm alive the dust was killer. And so was the hill but it was well worth the hike up.
    On the note of Steve, I was just telling him what I had heard. That was it...
    And you saw what my drivetrain was doing... There was seriously almost no ability to pedal by the end of the climb...

And about tully, it was a joke. That and nothing else...

Trevor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast