Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56
  1. #1
    Hi!!!
    Reputation: BelaySlave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,544

    Boise Weekly article on the Banzai

    http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/...d=oid%3A212413

    Hmmmm....to do or not to do......

  2. #2
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    well, I do have to say that Ron Dillon don't know squat.
    Mega-Avalanche, Santo Domingo de Los Olleros, many, many other longer DH races with more vert drop and distance. That being said, does this thing go down Connies, or where?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  3. #3
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Reputation: TwistedCrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    well, I do have to say that Ron Dillon don't know squat.
    Careful there sugarglaze. His royal highness Jon W. Gould could scold you for such libel.

    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    That being said, does this thing go down Connies, or where?
    Noone's saying but my guess is 8th Street. Yes, you read correctly. Me thinks there's something written in the R2R covenant that says thou shalt not have races on footies trails. Connies is not a legit trail anywhoo and besides, we don't talk about it as a matter of principle.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

  4. #4
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    I just talked to Ron a couple days ago, as a matter of fact. If I remember right, he said the descent is down 8th St. to town.

    He also said it's an ideal beginners ride due to the 90% downhill. that's a tough 10% climb over to the descent, though.

    CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  5. #5
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Oops, I meant 'ronnies'.

    So sorry.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  6. #6
    Hi!!!
    Reputation: BelaySlave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,544

    New question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    that's a tough 10% climb over to the descent, though.
    What exactly is the climb?

  7. #7
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    that being said, does this thing go down Connies, or where?
    It starts at the top of the Deer Point ski lift, goes out the Boise Ridge Road, and then down 8th Street.

    There's a pretty good climb between the Hard Guy trailhead and 8th Street.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,121
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    well, I do have to say that Ron Dillon don't know squat.
    Mega-Avalanche, Santo Domingo de Los Olleros, many, many other longer DH races with more vert drop and distance. That being said, does this thing go down Connies, or where?
    If Ron was half as good at marketing a race as he was bullshiiiiting and destroying collaborative partnerships, he'd be worth something. Taking bets on how long Haunold disassociates himself from the Dillon Destruction: 12 months.

    Taking bets on how long until JCG comes to his defense: 12 posts

  9. #9
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Reputation: TwistedCrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Oops, I meant 'ronnies'.

    So sorry.
    Wheat Wheat Ronnies
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

  10. #10
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    well, I do have to say that Ron Dillon don't know squat.
    Mega-Avalanche, Santo Domingo de Los Olleros, many, many other longer DH races with more vert drop and distance.

    You should never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  11. #11
    Contagious Xian
    Reputation: Bombin4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,833
    I might try this race on my wife's 17" IH Warrior DS.





    No chain.


    Be glad EP is taking a hiatus on the forums.

  12. #12
    TERVOR THE GREAT
    Reputation: DelTaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    If Ron was half as good at marketing a race as he was bullshiiiiting and destroying collaborative partnerships, he'd be worth something. Taking bets on how long Haunold disassociates himself from the Dillon Destruction: 12 months.

    Taking bets on how long until JCG comes to his defense: 12 posts
    He doesn't need to as I will:
    Ron has devoted a very large portion of his life to putting events like this on so that we can enjoy them. I personally have had absolutely no problems with him or any of the events he has put on. Don't ***** about the job someone is doing when you're not willing to do it yourself.

    Anyways, it's going to be a busy and fun day for myself... I'm going to race the real DH race at 8am, and then I'll race the banzai race, and once I'm down at the coop, I plan on racing the dual free event...

    Sounds like Mucho Fun to me...

  13. #13
    Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Reputation: mtnbykr06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    He doesn't need to as I will:
    Ron has devoted a very large portion of his life to putting events like this on so that we can enjoy them. I personally have had absolutely no problems with him or any of the events he has put on. Don't ***** about the job someone is doing when you're not willing to do it yourself.

    Anyways, it's going to be a busy and fun day for myself... I'm going to race the real DH race at 8am, and then I'll race the banzai race, and once I'm down at the coop, I plan on racing the dual free event...

    Sounds like Mucho Fun to me...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    28
    oh yeah he totally backs us riders up, like when he advertises our races and spends countless hours helping build and construct courses, oh wait he doesn't. In my opinion it's ********, the brundage race was the biggest joke, all the family and friends who came to watch the riders had to pay to watch (i should say most did some people told them where they could stick it) because of the damn hippie festival. that is blatantly taking advantage of the riders, and where are the cash prizes for semi-pro and pro riders? my question is where the hell is all our money going? seems to me "we" are the ones who should be getting the thanks because "we" are the ones who work on the course, "we" are the ones who pay all the fees, only to have your times messed up because some people can't count, even though we spent money on some fancy timing equipment. oh well nationals next year. rant over

  15. #15
    TERVOR THE GREAT
    Reputation: DelTaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    548
    Well ***** about it as much as you want, but I don't see anyone stepping up to do his job better than him. And the whole money issue comes down to one thing:
    this **** costs money to do. If they weren't charging admission, then where would the money come from? And how would the hippie festival make it's money.

    I'm certainly not saying that he does a perfect job of it, but I think the man deserves a whole lot more credit than he recieves.

    My only real gripe is the 2 weeks it takes for results to be posted up for the events, but whatever.

    Trevor

  16. #16
    Contagious Xian
    Reputation: Bombin4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,833
    Nice one Trevor. School is doing you well, see?!

  17. #17
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    Terv, Thanks for standing up for Ron. In life, there tend to be two groups: those who do, and those who stand on the sidelines and criticize those who do. I haven't raced Wildrockies in a long time, but I respect the effort, time, and money Ron puts into the races, and I like and respect him, as well.

    CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    28
    whatever, my point was the money they charge for the hippie festival has nothing to do with the race and they are taking advantage of the riders and their families, if you can't see that then too bad for you. He doesn't put very much effort into expanding the races and helping out the racers, who are the people he should care about. I can't mention names but there are many people behind the scenes that do a hell of alot more, and do it all for the love of the sport. My friends and I are the ones who build the dual free every race, who come up on our own time to work on the courses, who tape off the courses, and I think you would be suprised to know how much money it really takes to put on an event. I don't think Ron is a bad guy, but the way he spends money, it is not being put in the right places. And for those of you who dont race what the hell do you know about the race scene? You don't know what is happening, where the money is spent, so until you are out there shut up.

  19. #19
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    I see your point. Railing about a guy behind his back on the internet is undoubtedly the best way to effect the changes you seek. I get it now, just like it took me a while to understand that George Bush is to blame for everything bad in this country and throughout the world.

    CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  20. #20
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    I have to agree with Trevor and Chris.

    Boise is lucky enough to have two local race series. There's a huge number of races to choose from. If you don't like the way Ron runs his races, (a) give him feedback, (b) don't race in them, there's another great series to choose from, or (c) start yoru own race series.

    Ron is trying to put on a large number of events. Maybe they're not perfect, but the Boise bike scene is better because of him.

    On the other hand George Bush is to blame for most of the problems in the world.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,121
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I have to agree with Trevor and Chris.

    Boise is lucky enough to have two local race series. There's a huge number of races to choose from. If you don't like the way Ron runs his races, (a) give him feedback, (b) don't race in them, there's another great series to choose from, or (c) start yoru own race series.

    Ron is trying to put on a large number of events. Maybe they're not perfect, but the Boise bike scene is better because of him.

    On the other hand George Bush is to blame for most of the problems in the world.
    I have spoken with Ron face to face and emailed others' comments to him. He has done absolutely nothing about it for the past few years. It's like voting: I voted (gave constructive criticism), and nothing was done. Now I have the "right" to complain.

    I used to do all of Ron's races when Tervor was still pooping his pants in preschool. They have gone downhill at an alarming rate (unlike some of Ron's DH races!); Ron was so fed up with losing money that he actually retired, letting his wife do everything. But now he's back, thanks to Brad Duke. That's great. But to say it'll give WildRockies a shot in the arm is a laugher.

    I've basically done option a and b. Maybe option c is in the cards.

  22. #22
    Hoops - Big and Small
    Reputation: Crash_Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,087

    Knobby Tires Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Maybe option c is in the cards.
    Davey and Cynthia did it!

    I guess if enough people complain somebody will take the lead.

    Care to share your "constructive criticism"?

  23. #23
    TERVOR THE GREAT
    Reputation: DelTaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Nice one Trevor. School is doing you well, see?!
    As I sit at home "sick" typing posts on mtbr and building berms...

    I think the main lesson in school is the responsibility that you need to succeed in school. Obviously you do learn specific skills that will end up being useful, but most of the things you learn are of no real importance to you once you get out into the real world. i.e. Even though the quadratic formula is something taught in 8th grade math, how often do you think the average person uses it in? NEVER!

    Trevor

    And who says I'm not still pooping my pants?

  24. #24
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    i.e. Even though the quadratic formula is something taught in 8th grade math, how often do you think the average person uses it in? NEVER!
    Depends on what you do for a living, and if you ever "got" why you were learning it.

    The people who can't figure out the seat tube angle's effect on top tube lengths, the head tube angle's effects on stem lengths, and what gearing combos they need, are the same people that didn't pay attention during 8th grade math class (or maybe that taught that stuff in 9th grade).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  25. #25
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    I have hosted a number of races in the Big Hole's, it is a *****.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  26. #26
    Queen of Crash
    Reputation: sweetflowersister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    Even though the quadratic formula is something taught in 8th grade math, how often do you think the average person uses it in? NEVER!
    Well sweets, I'm certain you aspire to be better than average, right? Keep up the studying! (Your comma placement is great, and that's something you can use in the "real world.") BTW: Loved your DH pics!


    Bonzai

    Is anyone on this board going to participate in this race, or what?
    Good times. Noodle salad.

  27. #27
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    Math is one thing, but memorizing the annual rainfall in the Amazon is essential to success in life.

    CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  28. #28
    TERVOR THE GREAT
    Reputation: DelTaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    548
    I said "the average person". I'm not denouncing formal education in any way. The problem is the over-emphasis of what to think rather than how to think.

    Trust me in saying that I understand better than most the importance of education. Why else would I be taking 3 courses for college credit in my Junior year?

    I was simply stating that one of the most important purposes of education is simply to shape us into better, wiser and more responsible people that are going to be competent adults. We are learning all sorts of high level math at younger and younger ages, but in real life scenarios, we don't know what to do with the things we learn. Yes you may be able to solve for x, but that doesn't make you master of the universe...


    Anyways, back to the Banzai, I plan on racing all 3 events; the Downhill, the main event, and the Dual Free...

    Trevor

  29. #29
    aaarrrggghh!
    Reputation: Ivan the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616

    Yeah

    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Math is one thing, but memorizing the annual rainfall in the Amazon is essential to success in life.

    CDB
    Your right, its stupid to learn anything about the world outside of your comfy burb in Idaho. Ignorance rules!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    28
    Well we have brought up these problems and I race every race series in Idaho not to mention a few in utah. My point is not to bash on ron, because I am glad we have that race series, but the way it is run, and the some of the things that are being done, or not being done do not sit well with me. My friends and I bust our ass helping set up and work on the courses and enjoy every minute of it, we race and we love it, but it seems like the changes that need to be made up the ladder, are not being done. Advertisement, outside sponsors, better venues, putting money back in the hands of the people who are supporting the sport. Because when it comes down to it, it's not about the outsiders coming to watch "those crazy downhillers" it is about the riders, who love the sport, and support it. If we had a person who loved the sport as much as us, then you would see a tremendous growth, which in turn would mean more money, better venues and more people having fun for the joy of biking. This doesn't mean Ron doesn't love this sport, but sometimes you need to show it. And so you don't think I dislike Ron, I am very happy that we will be getting a national next year, which should help the scene enormously, and I believe Ron has played a part in getting that for us, so thanks Ron good job.
    and now to go ride.

  31. #31
    aaarrrggghh!
    Reputation: Ivan the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616

    Uhhhmmm....

    Quote Originally Posted by sinister37
    Well we have brought up these problems and I race every race series in Idaho not to mention a few in utah. My point is not to bash on ron, because I am glad we have that race series, but the way it is run, and the some of the things that are being done, or not being done do not sit well with me. My friends and I bust our ass helping set up and work on the courses and enjoy every minute of it, we race and we love it, but it seems like the changes that need to be made up the ladder, are not being done. Advertisement, outside sponsors, better venues, putting money back in the hands of the people who are supporting the sport. Because when it comes down to it, it's not about the outsiders coming to watch "those crazy downhillers" it is about the riders, who love the sport, and support it. If we had a person who loved the sport as much as us, then you would see a tremendous growth, which in turn would mean more money, better venues and more people having fun for the joy of biking. This doesn't mean Ron doesn't love this sport, but sometimes you need to show it. And so you don't think I dislike Ron, I am very happy that we will be getting a national next year, which should help the scene enormously, and I believe Ron has played a part in getting that for us, so thanks Ron good job.
    and now to go ride.
    Dustin,

    Not sure if you thought my comments were aimed at you but they weren't. I was giving CBro a hard time. I support your stance on Ron's race scene 100%. Hope you had fun on #4 tonight. Sorry I couldn't make it. I'm feeling a little busted up right now.

  32. #32
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    I pre-rode the SS course tonight. It's a tough start to the Bonzai.

    I'll likely do the SS race. I need to lower my gearing, as most of it is up, and the amount of pedaling that you can do in the flats is minimal.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jarrod7219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    184
    Does anyone know where we can see a course map, I am thinking about riding in this race, and would like to see the course routing. Jarrod

  34. #34
    Hi!!!
    Reputation: BelaySlave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,544
    www.WildRockies.com

    They don't have a course map up though. Go with people in the know....

  35. #35
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    you make me feel so warm and fuzzy. [modest rant deleted on edit feature]

    Regarding Terv, I'd encourage him to work hard in school and excel as much as possible, but I think traditional education that relies on memorization of limited-use facts is by and large a waste of energy. To each his own, if you want to stuff your head with useless facts, go for it. Except for taxes this is still a pretty free country.

    Besides, after 8yrs of college I've decided that education beats ignorance most of the time.

    CDB
    Last edited by CBro; 09-23-2006 at 01:07 PM.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jarrod7219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    184
    what do you mean "people in the know..."??

  37. #37
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    First, glad you're all healed up. Second, I think Nick's referring to the fact that you can take a wrong turn up there, so either go with somebody who already knows the course, or just show up on race day and wing it.

    If it's what I think it is, though, it's gonna be hard to take a wrong turn if you follow Laffeaux's route description.

    CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  38. #38
    liver abuser
    Reputation: SpeedyGonzalas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    Your right, its stupid to learn anything about the world outside of your comfy burb in Idaho. Ignorance rules!
    It's "you're right"

  39. #39
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    unless he's referring to his right to be wrong, or his constitutional right to remain silent, or his 2nd Amendment right to arm bears, that sort of thing...

    CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  40. #40
    Look out!
    Reputation: mtnbkrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    855

    Bonzai course route

    I talked to Ron D. after the Idaho City race and he said then that the course would be along the ridge road to 8th St.and down to the co-op. (8th and Fort, for those that may not be familiar with the N. End.).
    Ride the bike.

  41. #41
    liver abuser
    Reputation: SpeedyGonzalas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    103
    You're right.

  42. #42
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod7219
    Does anyone know where we can see a course map, I am thinking about riding in this race, and would like to see the course routing. Jarrod
    I don't believe that there is a map yet. Darren flagged it about a week ago, and I GPSed it yesterday. I'll get Ron the GPS file tonight. Hopefulyl Ron gets out a map quickly, as the text desription is a bit tough to follow.

    Hopefully something will be out soon for the SS race map.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  43. #43
    aaarrrggghh!
    Reputation: Ivan the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616

    Amen

    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Besides, after 8yrs of college I've decided that education beats ignorance most of the time.

    CDB
    Even if you're a right wing bible thumper I'll respect your opinion since you're educated. Education goes a long way in my book. You tend to learn alot more than just "useless facts" while obtaining that coveted degree. Even the right usage of you're and your.

  44. #44
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    You bigot. I've never thumped anybody, so stop calling me names or I'm gonna tell your mom you're picking on me.

    CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  45. #45
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,958

    this is the part...

    ...where I eat some big-time crow.

    When this idea of a combined SS/downhill race was announced, I questioned what Ron had been smoking when he thought of it. Due to the cancellation of the "2nd Semi-Annual Brandi Camp" for the weekend of October 7 (aka, "Brandi does # 2"), I got the RFKP approved to do this race. I even built up yet another new-to-me SS for race duty. Weather permitting, I'll be there. I may have also talked Twisted himself to throw down for the race too.

    Laffeux - what gearing you going to run? How steep is the 10 mile SS course? Is it well marked? I may not get the chance to pre-ride it until next week.

  46. #46
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Laffeux - what gearing you going to run? How steep is the 10 mile SS course? Is it well marked? I may not get the chance to pre-ride it until next week.
    I pre-rode it with a 34/18. If I race I'll go with a 32/18 or 34/20. You should be able to run a bigger gear. Whatever gear you can comfortably climb Trail 4 from the top of Hulls to the Parking lot should be good.

    I think that the loop is significantly shorter than the advertised 10 miles. I came up with between 5 and 6, but there's close to 1400 of climbing in that distance (most of it in the first half).

    The markings are okay to follow if you really pay attention. There are pink ribbons (pink with black polka dots) that show the course. Start from the lodge, bike to the Showcase lift, then head towards Pioneer Lodge. Several intersections are easily missed if you're not looking for them (the markings are better from about the half way point on).

    I think it's going to be a tough, but fun course.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  47. #47
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I pre-rode it with a 34/18. If I race I'll go with a 32/18 or 34/20. You should be able to run a bigger gear. Whatever gear you can comfortably climb Trail 4 from the top of Hulls to the Parking lot should be good..
    That's never been too comfortable a climb for me on the SS, no matter how you slice it... . A few years back I set a birthday goal of starting at CB on the SS, riding up Hulls, and up 4 to the parking lot with the only stop being to carry the bike over the Hulls rock. By the time we celebrated 2-score and 5, I had it nailed to within a single break for 10 seconds... O well, having the goal got me up in the morning.

    CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  48. #48
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I pre-rode it with a 34/18. If I race I'll go with a 32/18 or 34/20. You should be able to run a bigger gear. Whatever gear you can comfortably climb Trail 4 from the top of Hulls to the Parking lot should be good.

    I think that the loop is significantly shorter than the advertised 10 miles. I came up with between 5 and 6, but there's close to 1400 of climbing in that distance (most of it in the first half).

    The markings are okay to follow if you really pay attention. There are pink ribbons (pink with black polka dots) that show the course. Start from the lodge, bike to the Showcase lift, then head towards Pioneer Lodge. Several intersections are easily missed if you're not looking for them (the markings are better from about the half way point on).

    I think it's going to be a tough, but fun course.
    E - Thanks for the info. I will probably run an easier gear - I've been experimenting with gear ratios lately and have discovered that I'm actually climbing faster with a little easier gear than my standard 32/18 (or 32/20 on the 29'er.) 1400 feet of climbing in 2.5 miles when the starting elevation is 6000 feet is going to hurt regardless of what gear you run. Sh!t, it's not like I'm in it to win it, so gear selection isn't going to matter much!

    Hope the weather holds out for the race. I've done two races in less than stellar conditions (I'll never forget the 1998 Excellent Adventure in the wind, rain, sleet and mud) and will definitely be avoiding this one absent some good weather!!

  49. #49
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    That's never been too comfortable a climb for me on the SS, no matter how you slice it... . A few years back I set a birthday goal of starting at CB on the SS, riding up Hulls, and up 4 to the parking lot with the only stop being to carry the bike over the Hulls rock. By the time we celebrated 2-score and 5, I had it nailed to within a single break for 10 seconds... O well, having the goal got me up in the morning.

    CDB
    CB, yeah that's a tough climb for sure. I think that climbing Hulls is nice on a SS, as it's very stair-steppy - you go hard for a bit and then there's a nice flat section for recovery. However the climb up 4 never lets you recover - the flat(ish) sections still require a significant energy output to keep the bike moving.

    With the gearing I have (and not being in the best shape ever), I can get up Trail 4, but it hurts a lot.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,121

    Logistics

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid
    I talked to Ron D. after the Idaho City race and he said then that the course would be along the ridge road to 8th St.and down to the co-op. (8th and Fort, for those that may not be familiar with the N. End.).
    When is the dual free? is that the 8am race? Also, will there be a shuttle(s) going back u to the Bogus parking lot after the Bonzai? Just seeing how get back to the cars since it all starts up there.

    I might do both the dual free and the Banzai. The Banzai sounds like a blast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •