Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013

We are ready to begin work. Yesterday I met with two Ridge to Rivers representatives on Tablerock to layout the lower half of the new jump line we’ve been working to find a home for these past four years. All trail work will stay within the bounds of an old double track road previously scheduled for complete removal and revegitation. Over the years the old roadway has become an infrequently used shortcut for trail users and some areas have developed erosion gullies. The new jump line will cover approximately 2/3 the length of the roadway where we have 5% +/- downhill grade change. After the roadway levels out near the last 1/3 of its length we will turn it into a small gully and use the natural side slope of the gulley walls to cut in 3-5 banked turns before it ties back into lower Rock Island trail near the last two consecutive rock drops. We should have 9-12 jumps, several sections of back and forth slalom style berms and a couple of tight radius high speed berms.

I will be on trail tomorrow with one of the Ridge to Rivers crew members and one of their trail building machines. We will be roughing in the new features. After that we should have only the shaping, raking and packing of the dirt. The jump features will be built to resemble the rollers found on Pump Tracks or like the PBR Trail Pumps, Berms, and Rollers (PBR) on Vimeo in Fruita, CO., so all riders can enjoy the features safely. I will be posting work schedules in the near future. Work days will generally be late afternoon and weekends. We’ll also need several volunteer riders to test the features as we go. If you are interested in helping out please send me a private message (PM) and include your email address. We had a great crew of volunteers last fall help out with the rock work on Lower Tram Trail. If you enjoy the Boise Trail System please consider donating a few hours.

Also send a big THANK YOU out to the City of Boise and Ridge to Rivers for allowing us this opportunity. Contact Us - City of Boise

They said I might be able to use a new piece of equipment they are looking at. Here I am on a test run at the field office:

Trail Building Machine! Video - Pinkbike
    I might even get to use it with the bucket and blade if I can master the controls.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    RAIN DELAY! We start moving dirt on Monday 3/25.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Finished Work and Trail Work Day

Yesterday’s effort on the new Boise roller/jump trail went well. In addition to the 4 volunteers we had 2 RTR staff members on site all day with mini-x-backhoe, compactor, atv and tools for everyone. We dug in a total of 8 roller/jump features and finished off 4 of them. We still have the bottom section of trail to cut in to connect up with lower Rock Island Trail.

Several riders rolled up to test the features with one guy launching everything on his 29’r. He was clearing 10’-16’ through the air with another guy pushing feature #4 about 30’ down trail through the air.

We plan to work again this Saturday, March 30th beginning at 10:00 am. The best and quickest access to the trail work area is to park at the end of Windsong Drive on Warm Springs Mesa and walk up the connector trail to lower Rock Island just west of the power poles, takes less than 15 minutes. If 10 workers show up we can finish the roller/jump features and begin cutting in the final trail connector section. The roller/jump trail is currently closed until all roller/jump features are finished. If the volunteer turnout is good we might be able to finish all of it. Please PM (private message me) with names and phone numbers so I can coordinate with those who can show up a few minutes early to help haul tools up the trail. Bring water, food, gloves and hiking shoes, also a couple test riders with bikes would be nice.

Here are a couple photos from yesterday….
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013-img_2239.jpg  

Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013-img_2244.jpg  

Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013-img_2242.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Progress Report

The roller/jump line is now open. We had a real good turnout Saturday with members from SWIMBA, Dirt Dart, the Son of Dirt Dart; several folks from McCall who stopped on their way back from Moab (gave us some good input too) along with a handful of old timers and trail riders. Everyone’s perspective and ideas were much appreciated.

We did not have time to begin work on the connector trail that will link up with lower Rock Island. The roller/jump line can still be ridden to its current end and a loop can be made using one of several other trails in the area. The upper 4 features have been approved by riders of differing skill levels, and it was agreed by all, several of the lower features will need some fine tuning to follow the general purpose plan for the trail. We will need some help from Mother Nature before we work the features any further as it was very dry on the Mesa. The connector trail will be the interim project until the rains return but this too will have to wait for final approval of the exact layout by RTR.

Go enjoy, no BIG-HIT BIKES NEEDED!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the update WB. Did you snag any new pics?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Snagged Pics

Playing in the dirt!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013-img_2341.jpg  

Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013-img_2347.jpg  

Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013-img_2349.jpg  

Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013-img_2348.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Coming together. Can't wait to try it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

5.75 Mile Downhill/Min-Enduro Run

I don’t know if anybody else has taken a look at the big picture here but when this section of trail is complete, Boise will have an amazing 5.75 mile downhill/mini-enduro run starting at the parking lot on top of Table Rock and East Table Rock Road. It will begin on a single track leaving the parking lot, then traverse down around the current active rock quarry on single track trough a couple challenging rock sections, then continue across the face of the upper mesa on Table Rock Quarry Trail #17, a short distance down Table Rock Trail #15, across Table Rock Trail West #16 connecting with the new roller/jumps trail which will tie back into lower Rock Island West Trail #16B then down Lower Tram Trail #14, finally ending at the Warm Springs Golf Course parking lot. It will include some great rock gardens, skinnies, ledges, precise bike handling opportunities, 10’ to 30’ jumps/rollers, two huge natural rock wall rides, small rock booters, several drops and enough chunk to knock out a few teeth if you happen to choose the wrong line. There will be nothing else in the Treasure Valley to compare with it, mostly natural with just a few manmade features. You will even have the added challenge in several locations of negotiating around the always unpredictable two and four legged trail creatures. Go to the Ridges to Rivers Interactive Trail Map and follow my directions above.

East Boise deserves a bike park with jump lines, pump track and skinny structures. There is a perfect location behind Quarry View Park near the Old Penitentiary and it fits right in with the technical trails in the area. Micron is making money again, HP has turned it around, and Albertson’s is back in town…..maybe now is a good time to approach the City and some donors. We can make it good right from the beginning.

Any interested parties out there?

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    Rode the new trail a couple of times last night. A welcome addition to the already great trails available on table rock. It seems that the last few jumps might still need a little help, but I'm sure that will come. One thought, as I was riding this trail last night, I encountered SEVERAL walkers that thought it would be fun to walk down the jump line. Some signage might be needed. Just a thought. Thanks for the hard work. Consider this guy and interested party.
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I agree on the signage. I was coming down red cliffs last night and the walkers were walking right over the jumps requiring me to go around them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    We'll be talking about signage soon. Not sure we can exclude anyone from using the trail, maybe just warn them. Walkers/Hikers are the majority of users on these trails. We want to be friendly at all times so we can get more of this in the future.

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    I'm with you. No need to exclude any one user group, but those last couple jumps are big. If a rider plans on trying to clear them, that rider would need PLENTY of speed. It would be a very good idea to let walkers/hikers know what they getting themselves into by walking down that trail.

Still great job on the trail.
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Exactly, I think some people are just clueless that they are actually jumps and that people could get hurt if they're not careful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZe View Post
    I'm with you. No need to exclude any one user group, but those last couple jumps are big. If a rider plans on trying to clear them, that rider would need PLENTY of speed. It would be a very good idea to let walkers/hikers know what they getting themselves into by walking down that trail.

Still great job on the trail.
    I will be up on the trail tomorrow, Friday with RTR at 2:00 pm or shortly thereafter. If anyone wants to join in and personally express your thanks and appreciation to David, I think all local trail riders would be very grateful for it.

We will look over the final section of trail as it is flagged and discuss the corrective measures being taken with final series of roller/jumps to bring them back under control for the 5.5” travel trail bike rider. Let’s face it; I don’t think anyone will push their 40 pound downhill bike up there for a basic trail ride or ride it off the top of Table Rock, the trail just does not require that kind of bike for a fun ride.

This will become a great run with plenty of variety but if the riders get out of hand and start “buzzing” other trails users, it will be shut down immediately. Based on RTR trail surveys the hikers outnumber the bikers in this area 100 to 1.5. The .5 must be that unicycle guy I’ve seen on Hulls. Trail courtesy to all other users is rule #1. Everyone behave and show respect to all others.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Trail Work Day Saturday 4-6-2013

If we don't get too much rain we can do another work day tomorrow. I'll have 6 McClouds a couple of shovels and buckets. We could also use a wheel borrow and some bikes for test rides. Might bring some extra gardening tools in case we run out and the standards.....gloves, good boots,water, etc.

Any interested SWIMBA members are invited. I brought treats for everyone last week to make sure it was a "good experience". I'll have more tomorrow as well. How does chocolate chip cookies sound?

We will meet at the end of E. Windsong Drive on Warms Springs Mesa at 10:00 am. It is about 5-10 minute walk up the hill. I plan on being their drizzle or shine but I will update this thread tomorrow morning if we have a downpour and can't make it happen due to wet trails. Send me a PM if you can make it. A good turnout makes more of these trails possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013-e.-windsong-drive.jpg  

Last edited by Wheelbender; 04-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013

Hey, Wheelbender-

It was a pleasure to meet you and work with you today. Thanks for putting in the effort to improve the riding options for Boise mountain bikers. I hope to swing a Pulaski with you again soon.

HH

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Trail Work Days: 4/9/13 (Tuesday) & 4/11/13 (Thursday)

We are planning the last big push for the new roller/jump line on Table Rock. I will be gathering about 6-8 McClouds, 4 shovels, and a couple of buckets. What we really need is 2 wheel borrows. Please let me know if you have one with a sturdy frame and wheel. A lightweight wheel borrow might get overloaded and crushed with enthusiasm. Since everyone agrees the roller/landing for the last feature is too far from the takeoff, we will be pulling it closer. Also, bring a shovel since it will require a bunch of hand digging to move it.

These trails are designed to serve the average trail rider, you know the one….they are 12-75 years old, 4’-8” to 6’-6” tall, male or female and weigh 80 to 280 pounds.

Work Days
    • I’ll be on trail this Tuesday 4/9/13 at 4:00 pm so if anyone wanted to join in for a short work session we will be fine tuning the backside of the jumps for 3-4 of the features to make them friendlier for those who just what to roll over them. Bring a shovel if you plan to attend. I only have two on site right now.

• The next work day will be Thursday 4/11/13 at 4:00 pm. We will be cutting in the connector trail and moving the roller/landing for the last big feature on the trail. Please bring a shovel and let me know if you have a wheel borrow. A few test riders would be appreciated.

See my previous post (MTBR) for a map. The trail work area is above and parallel to Trail #16B Rock Island Trail (West) or Lower Rock Island and downhill from the overhead power lines. Park at the cul-de-sac on E. Windsong Drive on Warm Springs Mesa and hike up toward the power lines.

As a side note a trail like this would cost between $5,000 and $8,000, if hired out to professionals. So far we have spent $70 on treats and one pair of gloves.....THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS! SHOW UP WHEN YOU CAN.
    Last edited by Wheelbender; 04-08-2013 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Better Map of how to get to the Trail Work

Showing off my new computer skills.

Follow the funny yellow line........CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A LARGER VERSION
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013-trail-work-area.jpg  

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Hey I am the Unicycle guy! And that was only because I had a broken Wrist and couldnt ride..

I didnt even know this whole project was going on until I went for a ride tonight and happened upon these.. I wish I had more time to dedicate to building and helping you guys out..

In my 10 or so runs down what you guys have done so far I have some points..
    - Please dont sanitize the rocks in that one section..

- What are you going to do about drainage on those jumps? Half of them have a decent hole before the lip where water is going to pool.. I know that you have relief holes on the side of the jumps, but water is still going to gather and keep those lips soft much longer then if there was not the holes before the lips.. I would have rather seen the jump built up rather then dug in..

- Similar to the lips, but why did you need to use a machine to trench a trail? Same issue as before about water retention and the ability of the trail to shead water..

-The last jump and the table-hip thing before it dont go together at all.. I could catch landing on the last hit, but I had to either pre-jump/ scrub that hip or jump out to flat and them pedal into that last jump. The last jump either needs to be brought in, or the jump before it need to be pushed out. Not to say I am the best rider out there, but when I have to work to make a section clean, the "average" rider you trying to cater to, is going to have issues..

Take all this with a grain of salt as I have not been out there digging( although I was tempted when I spied your tool stache) So my opinion is null.. and I also know its not done, so I wont speak to as though its a final product, I understand that its still under construction..

That said, thank you for your effort and getting sh!t done around here..
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Background Info

Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    That said, thank you for your effort and getting sh!t done around here..
    Thanks for the feedback. Before providing some background information and addressing obvious and ongoing challenges I would like to say……..10 runs first time after finding it!!! I’m guessing we did something good or you wouldn’t have stuck around. Hope you enjoyed the ride and were able to figure out the speeds needed to get the most out of it. Like any jump line it takes practice, focus, trial and error.

The short section of erosion exposed rocks has been a point of discussion with RTR as to how we handle this area. Differing ideas have been kicked around. After riding the line a number of times I find excessive speed can be obtained here with the rocks becoming a blur and a minor obstacle as I line up for the next feature. The latest idea would be the addition of (3) gentle water diversion dams directing flow into a side retention areas. (3) because this section is steep enough for water to gain speed and thus more erosive power the further down the trail you go. We may place some dead sage branches on the right hand side of the double track where most of the erosion occurs to help promote natural revegitation. We’ll see, any and all ideas would appreciated.

All but the approach to the last feature drain fairly well. I was up there after the recent rains and all was good but for the last one. It will be addressed at tonight’s work session.

Ridge to Rivers volunteered the use of the trail machine since they had planned some work on Table Rock. I had short notice to get volunteers out and design the features with RTR. A controlling condition for the layout was we absolutely had to stay within the limits of the existing out double track road. Another was we could not harvest dirt from anything other than adjacent gopher holes and the drainage channels cut in by the machine. No remote dig holes in the surrounding area. And a big one was the features must be rollable, no mandatory air.

The landing for the last feature will be brought in closer to the takeoff. I’ve seen several riders; all about 80 pounds smaller and 30 years younger than me launch that thing and hit the transition. These guys were actually taking everything at speeds which pushed them way past the transitions on the previous 4 features. Don’t look at them solely as jumps, they can all be rolled safely and the last one was considered to be a set of rollers for those who could not clear it. There has been enough input regarding the layout (jumpers wanting more jumps) that we will be reducing the length considerably at the tonight’s work session. It will fit better with the character of the other 8 features and the all-mountain trail bike we originally designed for.

Hope you can make it out tonight. I’ll be hauling tools up trail between 3-4 pm. Refer back to several previous posts for our work schedule and maps to the location.

Also see the link to RTR:
    Volunteers add Jump Line on Rock Island Trail - City of Boise

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Before providing some background information and addressing obvious and ongoing challenges I would like to say……..10 runs first time after finding it!!! I’m guessing we did something good or you wouldn’t have stuck around. Hope you enjoyed the ride and were able to figure out the speeds needed to get the most out of it. Like any jump line it takes practice, focus, trial and error.

The short section of erosion exposed rocks has been a point of discussion with RTR as to how we handle this area. Differing ideas have been kicked around. After riding the line a number of times I find excessive speed can be obtained here with the rocks becoming a blur and a minor obstacle as I line up for the next feature. The latest idea would be the addition of (3) gentle water diversion dams directing flow into a side retention areas. (3) because this section is steep enough for water to gain speed and thus more erosive power the further down the trail you go. We may place some dead sage branches on the right hand side of the double track where most of the erosion occurs to help promote natural revegitation. We’ll see, any and all ideas would appreciated.

All but the approach to the last feature drain fairly well. I was up there after the recent rains and all was good but for the last one. It will be addressed at tonight’s work session.

Ridge to Rivers volunteered the use of the trail machine since they had planned some work on Table Rock. I had short notice to get volunteers out and design the features with RTR. A controlling condition for the layout was we absolutely had to stay within the limits of the existing out double track road. Another was we could not harvest dirt from anything other than adjacent gopher holes and the drainage channels cut in by the machine. No remote dig holes in the surrounding area. And a big one was the features must be rollable, no mandatory air.

The landing for the last feature will be brought in closer to the takeoff. I’ve seen several riders; all about 80 pounds smaller and 30 years younger than me launch that thing and hit the transition. These guys were actually taking everything at speeds which pushed them way past the transitions on the previous 4 features. Don’t look at them solely as jumps, they can all be rolled safely and the last one was considered to be a set of rollers for those who could not clear it. There has been enough input regarding the layout (jumpers wanting more jumps) that we will be reducing the length considerably at the tonight’s work session. It will fit better with the character of the other 8 features and the all-mountain trail bike we originally designed for.

Hope you can make it out tonight. I’ll be hauling tools up trail between 3-4 pm. Refer back to several previous posts for our work schedule and maps to the location.

Also see the link to RTR:
    Volunteers add Jump Line on Rock Island Trail - City of Boise

I should say that my 10 or so runs was more testing everything at various speeds to see what was spaced well and what worked well.. I tried it from crawling speed up to my full race pace that involved lots of scrubs and overshooting landings. I had herd rumors of the build going on at last weeks Wednesday Night Worlds at Joyride, but didnt remember until I stumbled upon them..

Not being to harvest dirt from anywhere else is the killer.. I know that they will drain fairly well, but I would have rather seen them never dug down in the first place, leaving the ugly drainage holes on the sides. But I understand your limitations, I am all for rollable hits on that side of town.. No need for mandatory air over there.

And I know the tranny on the last is reachable.. I managed to over shoot it by 7 or 8 feet in an attempt to see what the max obtainable distance off that lip was (There are some benefits to riding a 7in trail bike.. haha) But the speed needed to clear that last jump makes hitting the previous hits hard to hit well, as I said, it was lots of scrubbing.. The biggest thing was the hip before that, weird at speed..

And sorry about not making work parties.. I work in the food service industry and go to school full time.. Not much time to ride and trying to make any of the work parties at any of our riding areas has always been a stretch for me..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Go Ride....Have Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    Not being to harvest dirt from anywhere else is the killer...
    Almost 5years just to find a place acceptable for a trail like this and the fact we had tight construction guidelines, oversight from the City of Boise Parks and Recreation (RTR) along with the guarantee this trail will be closely monitored and scrutinized by land managers has made this a very successful undertaking.

Last night the final connector to Rock Island was completed, the last roller/jump feature has been significantly adjusted to match the character of the others; an attempt was made to improve the drainage in several areas. We will be doing some housekeeping chores along the cut lines made by the mini-x with ongoing adjustments as the dirt packs in and riders provide feedback. As it is, a rider does not need to peddle once beyond the first feature. Granted they will likely tap the brakes a few times on the way down but I think this is more desirable than peddling hard between features.

Possibly next week RTR will be up there placing short sections of fence and closure signs on the lower portion of the old road. There will be a new sign at the entry to the roller/jump line identifying it as such.

How this trail is used will define the future for any downhill specific bike trail proposed within the RTR system of trails. When the right piece of land becomes available we have a very good chance of seeing something even better than what we now have on Table Rock.

Send David Gordon with RTR an email and thank him for working with the bike community to bring this new ride experience to Boise.

aaarrrggghh!

Jumps and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    Send David Gordon with RTR an email and thank him for working with the bike community to bring this new ride experience to Boise.
    I finally got a chance to ride the new trail work over at Table Rock last night. I have nothing but praise for the work that was done out there. In my humble opinion I think the jumps and features are perfect. These types of doubles are the exact type of jump we need on the foothills and Table Rock. I think they were constructed with all types of riders in mind are absolutely fantastic as a fun feature on trails. My hat is off to Wheelbender and the folks who have helped on this project. Nice work!

I will be sending my thanks to Dave Gordon as well. Thanks guys!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible View Post
    I think they were constructed with all types of riders in mind are absolutely fantastic as a fun feature on trails.
    Roger that. It's a fun 75 yards or so on a CX as well. No air required.

Just sayin.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: Boise Tech Trails II/Spring 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    Roger that. It's a fun 75 yards or so on a CX as well. No air required.

Just sayin.
    Quit being a sissy and air it on the cx bike.

And I agree that it was well done given to ride well for everyone. Nicely done.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast