Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Boise Tech Trails II

The answer to your prayers….and a bit more frustration:

I’ve been working with David Gordon, Ridge to Rivers Trial Coordinator these past several years to find a place within our trail system to build or incorporate into an existing trail all the features you have been so yearning for. Together we have identified trails or areas that might support these features. Ridge to Rivers has recently completed what might be a called a new Operations Manual. Within this document is a short section addressing the growing demand for more challenge on our trails along with the how, the where and the guidelines these features might be built to. This document was distributed among the RtoR associated land management agencies for comment. No negative comments were expressed regarding the “Technical Trail Opportunities” portion of the document.

Good News – Yes! But don’t grab your shovels and expect to start digging tomorrow. Based on the recommendations BLM still has to do the NEPA study(s) for their specific locations (first on my personal list) and any other land management agency involved with the specific site must give approval before dirt can be turned.

The following is my short edit of the document and some clarifying interpretive questions I posed of RtoR:

Technical Trail Opportunities

The desire for technical trail opportunities has increased in recent years. Features such as log skinnies, rock drops, table tops and jumps, which were once considered on the fringe of trail riding are now becoming mainstream..

Policy for Adding Technical Opportunities along Existing Trails
    The addition of technical opportunities along existing trails will be evaluated on a case by case basis as proposed by interested public volunteers.

All spurs containing technical features must have a technical entrance (a “qualifier”), so that it is clear to trail users that the spur is more difficult, as well as a technical exit back on to the main trail so that users re-enter the trail at a safe speed. Spurs will not exceed 150’ in length.

Trails identified as having the possibility to add technical features alongside of existing trail tread:

Lower Foothills
    Rock Garden #16A
    Bobs #30
    Table Rock #15
    Table Rock Loop #16
    Table Rock Quarry #17
    Castle Rock Loop #19
    Quarry #18
    Hard Guy #33

Shafer Area
    Eastside #120
    Sinker #122
    DB Connector #123
    Mr. Big #124
    Freddy’s #125
    Big-Stack Cutoff #126
    Morningstar #97
    Elk Meadows #94

Policy for Providing Technical Opportunities on New Trails
    When this is done, a cross country ride or walk-around will always be provided.

Standards
    Any and all technical features will be built following the most current accepted standards and guidelines. No feature that requires mandatory air (free-fall) will be permitted.
    Don’t get upset just yet…..

After reviewing the portion of the document addressing technical trail elements, policies and standards, I posed several interpretive questions as follows:

RtoR Document says; Any and all technical features will be built following the most current accepted standards and guidelines. No feature that requires mandatory air (free-fall) will be permitted”

My interpretation is –
    • A jump can be constructed as a table top or set of rollers as long as the rider can reduce speed on approach and roll over the feature without being forced to catch air. The rider is in control of leaving the ground or not, when riding the object.
    • A ledge type drop can be constructed which gives the rider the opportunity to leave the ground or roll the bike over and down the face of the drop.

RtoR Document says; “All spurs containing technical features must have a technical entrance (a “qualifier”), so that it is clear to trail users that the spur is more difficult, as well as a technical exit back on to the main trail so that users re-enter the trail at a safe speed. Spurs will not exceed 150’ in length.”

My interpretation is –

• A jump or drop (as I defined above) can be placed at the entry to a spur trail as (the qualifier) and the technical exit back on the main trail can be a series of rocks, log skinny or other challenging and speed reducing element.
    • Also a jump, or series of jumps (as I defined above) can be placed between the entry and exit elements.

RtoR agreed 100% with my interpretations. One other thing, the elements will be designed around the capabilities of a maximum 5.5” travel trail bike so as not to exclude the abundance of XC bikes and riders. If you want to use a 40 lb big huck machine, enjoy, but don’t be whining or complaining it’s not up to your standards.

This could open the door to some great new and bigger opportunities. Be patient and let the process evolve. I won’t be responding to any comments but I will post updates as we move forward.

mtbr member
    You're my hero! Any help you need, I'm available.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the work and the update, Wheelbender!

It seems that the phrase "technical trail opportunities" appears more in-line with "man made features" such as lumber and jumps. Is there any talk about actually making these technical features more natural rather than looking like Ray's indoor mountain bike park? I love the idea, but I would much rather see more Bob's/Hull's type riding with natural rock elements than taking a spur onto a half pipe while riding down Bob's.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice work!

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    Great update. I have a bunch of free labor to donate for any "technical trail opportunities."

"Man made features" included.....
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Wheelbender is also well known for having invented the rear shock, the tubeless tire, and the baggy short.

He was the first known person to successfully execute the wheelie.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    Wheelbender is also well known for having invented the rear shock, the tubeless tire, and the baggy short.

He was the first known person to successfully execute the wheelie.
    He also rides with Al Gore and helped invent the internet.

mtbr member
    who invented government bureaucracy?

the ambiguity in that document is awesome.

have fun working with those people.

mtbr member
    subscribed

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Good job, WB!

aaarrrggghh!
    Wouldn't that be a monkey wheel if it was constructed by monkey's??????

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Boise Tech Trails II – Update I

I had a good long conversation this morning with Larry Ridenhour, Outdoor Recreation Planner with BLM, Boise. He will head up the preparation of NEPA study and associated documentation for trail work on BLM ground. I did not ask him about trails on Forest Service Ground. Not knowing anything about interagency collaboration or acceptance of a NEPA study, I can’t say how a BLM prepared document might benefit or facilitate a project on Forest Service ground. This could be the topic of our next discussion.

We did not address the timing of the NEPA, but currently it is not at the top of his list of priorities. This is understandable since the subject is new on his radar screen. To help push the Technical Trials issue to the forefront and actually begin to see progress I expressed the growing need and a desire being voiced by the MTB community for the construction of challenging features. Also my belief we should be able to assemble a group of riders willing to step up to take ownership of and responsibility for construction and maintenance of the features. Maintenance is going to be an important part of the equation. For now Larry has suggested we direct our suggestions to him personally. He has agreed to accept emails expressing your support for the Technical Trail Features Project. So here is what he wants:

• Prepare a short and concise document explaining your desire to include technical tail features within the local Boise trail system.

• If you have been to other locations where this need has been meet you might include a reference to the location, very short description of the general features and why the location or features appeal to you.

• Include illustrations or photos of good challenging features you would like to see. This will help in the BLM’s understanding of what you want and what they might eventually progress toward. This will also give them a better level of comfort regarding how a feature might be constructed to address their safety and sustainability concerns. Include jumps, drops, big banked berms, small interconnected bermed turns, step-ups, step-downs, skinnies, ladders, rock technical features, wheelie drops, wall rides etc.

• Along with the good stuff they want to know what our opinion is and understanding of a poorly designed and constructed feature. They want to know our general attitude toward unacceptable trail/feature construction, trail erosion, poorly built wood features, and unnecessarily dangerous or hazardous manmade features, wood or dirt. Also maybe include a short explanation of why the feature is unnecessarily dangerous and how the unnecessary dangers might be remediated.

Please contact Larry Ridenhour at larry_ridenhour@blm.gov

It is critical to the future success of this project to show big support. Numbers are important right now, the more the better. Once the study is complete and the first features are in place other projects can be brought on line if the MTB community proves they can accept ownership and provide maintenance of what they are asking for. We cannot expect Ridge to Rivers to take over 100% of the maintenance. The Adopt a Trail system by individuals or groups will likely be needed to keep this program alive.

My goal here is to develop a means and a method for the process to begin, get the first few features constructed then step aside so others can lead projects of their own. After that, change focus toward the development of a downhill one-way bike specific trail incorporating berms, jump lines, drops and the necessary ride-arounds so the trail appeals to many skill levels.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Yum. Man-made features.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UWYfoF4a9fQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just goes to show, an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite amount of wood and an infinite amount of time, one of them will build an MTB hamster wheel.

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UWYfoF4a9fQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just goes to show, an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite amount of wood and an infinite amount of time, one of them will build an MTB hamster wheel.
    RIP Sam Brown http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...-spokane-jail/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Boise Tech Trails II Update II

Since I’m not getting any younger and don’t want to wait for the NEPA studies I have suggested a couple alternate locations for trail features. I have an on trail meeting scheduled with Ridge to Rivers to discuss the possibilities and locations for trail enhancements along the new Red Cliffs Trail #39. They include enlarging some of the existing berms, adding new ones and creating rolling dirt mounds in and out of corners. After that, a ride up Lower Trail #14 and #16 on Table Rock to look over existing trailside rocks and features that could become great new techy elements, or with slight modifications can be bigger and badder.

The results may take some time to report, but I think it creates opportunities to move forward on a shorter construction timeline. These efforts have always included a presentation to other city officials by R to R. High traffic trails get shot down but the lower traffic trails, as these are, stand a better chance of approval.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Thanks Wheelbender

And I mean it......this is great.......much appreciated. I am with Bombin 4X on the Sam Brown RIP thing.........am in Nelson, BC right now which is still home to that crazy ass disconstructed wheel, hoping to venture up and see it this Summer.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    WB - Does anybody have IMBA involved? Not a bad idea to do so since they have lots of experience with trail building and working with land managers elsewhere.

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    Inspiration...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4tvAt2tDNx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Listen closely at about :43 - the key is that BC has a division of tourism that specifically focuses on mountain biking and developed policy aimed to develop these trails in a manner consistent with drawing more bikers to the area. BC "gets" that mountain biking is a tourism draw. Idaho hasn't embraced that concept - yet. I stressed during my testimony to the legislative committees last year (for the license plate) that study after study definitely proves that the development of purpose-built mountain bike trails (not multi-user trails) foments economic development. Fruita and BC are perfect examples. Bottom line - FIRST, you have lay the governmental relations groundwork before you're ever going to get the kinds of trails you guys (and I) want.

Again, this begs the question of whether anybody is involving IMBA. If you look at my two recent posts relating to new trail construction - one of which (Punchline) was built in Hailey on terrain very similar to the Boise foothills - IMBA was directly involved. Why not use them as a resource? Wheelbender, you should contact Anna Laxague with IMBA and see what help they may be able to provide, even if it's just initial assurance to R2R that purpose-built bike trails are a good thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Boise Tech Trails II Update III

Surveyed the trails yesterday with Ridge to Rivers and we agreed to the following rough outline:

Trail #39 Red Cliffs
    We identified a number of corners, some with small existing berms some without, that are worthy of improvement. The trail footprint in these areas can be made wider and taller. Anyone who has railed a good berm understands the fun factor, but the downside is water retention. They will have to be built to hold some water on the low side and still provide a reasonable walking surface. We might be able to build some dirt rollers up-trail from the berm entry to assist with water diversion if it becomes a problem.

We can build jumps where the trail opens up to good visibility and a wider pathway. They will not be much more than big dirt water bars with long extended transitional landing zonings which do not hinder foot traffic. Depending on how the hikers respond to the jump, do they walk directly over it or widen the pathway around it, could result in a high side/low side right to left or left to right tapering of the jump. Hikers tend to take the path of least resistance around and object. R to R understands jumpers need wider landing zones to recover from any misjudgments of speed and distance. So the skinny single track rule will not apply here. The rider’s skill and bike will determine speed, height and distance, not the feature. Again, these features will be designed for the trail and XC bike, not the DH bike.

None of the work on Red Cliffs can begin until we get some moisture back into the soil this fall.

Trail #14 Lower Tram Trail
    The big highlight here is the opportunity to construct one or more technical spur trails. These can include drops, jumps, skinnies, etc. One good location was agreed to with several other possibilities. We also may look at incorporating several trailside rocks into skinnies similar to the one off the top of Table Rock Trail #16. At the two big rock wall rides on #14 we can improve the exit transition from the wall back to the trail so a rider can attack the rock wall with greater speed to get higher and further out the wall. This won’t change the challenge at the second wall (rock with big diagonal crack) for the rider wanting to push off the wall and flat land back onto the trail.

Work on these features will require some digging, strong backs hauling big rocks and patience placing the rocks into a good tight fitting base. When done they must be close to maintenance free. Work can begin this summer after we have photographically documented the areas of work, defined the construction guidelines and work area limits. Looking at this realistically, I don’t see any work here until after the summer travel and vacation season is over or we get some dedicated early risers on weekends willing to put in a few hours to beat the heat.

Side Notes
    • The reason both these projects can proceed so quickly is the fact they are both on land owned by the City of Boise……NO NEPA.

• Appreciate the positive input and suggestions regarding these trail opportunities. IMBA will be used at some point in this work. First I want to nail down the features, locations and limits acceptable to the local jurisdictions. I am looking to R to R for the suggestion as to when or if we need to get an IMBA person involved. I don’t want to step on, over or around the partnership I have built with them. We are not cutting in a big new $50,000 trail at this time. Hopefully that day may come soon. Right now we are just scratching in the dirt to evaluate the success or failures of these ideas and features. R to R has assured me nothing but quality work will be allowed to remain standing. They will provide documented construction guidelines and field observation. They want this to succeed!

• Any and all criticism of this process and final construction will be well received. If you don’t ever judge and discuss the merits and faults of anything, you or it will never improve. The problem with criticism is it usually perceived as negative.

• Larry Ridenhour tells me there has not seen a single submittal to him identifying the good and bad trail features he has requested from the rider community for his NEPA study. Little to no input from you means little to no motivation for him to get started. You guys have complained long and hard about not having access to technical trail features, the opportunity is now here, don’t let it slip away.

mtbr member
    With the downturn in Boise's economy R2R could pick up a local warehouse and make some awesome, technical trails inside of it.

Think about the possibilities! Four season riding, no wet trails, no foot traffic, air conditoned, lemonaide stands, and maybe even an elevator to get to the top of the trail.

One thing that baffles me is why so many people apparently want dirt jumps on all of the trails, but complain about water bars?
    BoiseBoy

aaarrrggghh!
    BoiseBoy, you make some good points. If the jumps (waterbars) are designed the right way they add to the flow of the trail and allow someone to double them up which is kind of fun or roll them without incident. When you make them steep and lippy like R2R does they are scary and possibly dangerous. I recently rode a trail in Southern Oregon where they build the "waterbars" in sets which allowed the user to jump one and land on the backside of the other. These things were great fun and not scary if you didn't choose to attempt the "gap" in between them. It is win win for all types of riders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I know he's received at least one email...from me.

gringo-fied facsimiles

I vote NO

The lower foothill trails are not safe to build bigger burms and jumps/water bars. Too much foot traffic, very suprized to hear mr gordon is even entertaining the idea.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator View Post
    The lower foothill trails are not safe to build bigger burms and jumps/water bars. Too much foot traffic, very suprized to hear mr gordon is even entertaining the idea.
    It's tough to build something bigger when they don't exist in the first place

The only thing that even exists now is steep water bars that don't really make great jumps.

My guess is that one of the reasons many people don't support jumps in the foothills is their only experience is steep water bars to flat landings that people call jumps around here. I've never met a person that doesn't like a smooth roller with a nice transition on the backside. You can direct water, catch air, and there's not nearly the consequence if you come up short or don't want to jump in the first place.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    I never said I didnt like jumps or burms, I said the foothills were not the place for them. I hike those trails as well as ride, too many f*cktards out there as it is that buzz hikers and dogs, and even other riders with out a care. Take that sh*t to the park.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I didn't say you didn't like jumps, I didn't disagree with you, nor did I say build a park in the lower foothills.

I was joking about how can make something bigger if it doesn't exist. Kind of the "how can I have s'more when I haven't had any" joke from when we were kids eating marshmallows and gram crackers by the camp fire. Go get your coffee and come back.

I do think that there is a place for water management that isn't steep water bars. I also think there is a general misconception by the people (mostly riders) in the lower foothills that all jumps are like water bars. Lame. In terms of safety, I don't think water bars do anything for anyone. The people that slow down for water bars are going to slow down for hikers. The people that hit them unexpectantly get a nasty surprise. The people that air off them are probably getting off balance in the air from the steepness and have a flat landing which does nothing for their control.

A-holes buzzing people in the lower foothills are going to do it whether or not there are jumps and berms. I guess you could try to debate that but you just said it's happening now and we don't have berms and jumps. It's "do guns kill people or do people kill people" type of arguement that won't go anywhere.

If you are worried about an influx of people that will crowd the trails, you probably should have had this conversation 10 years ago before there was an influx of people that crowd the lower foothills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Boise Tech Trails II Clarification

Clarification – “Water Bar” as defined by the Boise MTB crowd is obviously a bad word. I know there have been many riders injured by them. Since some are unsure of what a “Berm” would look like on a multi-use trail, let’s replace them both with “Junkyard Type Elements”. These are the trail features that will set the baseline for construction on the Red Cliffs. I suggest people go ride it or look over the photos at the link below. Two feet will be the approximate height limit for jumps and berm walls. I’m not saying every berm wall will be two feet high, two feet may be more than is needed some locations and will not be used. There will also be a safe, flat to low sloping base at the berms for hikers. Nobody will be forced to travel a surface too steep for walking. A choice will be provided. Hikers seem to do just fine on Junkyard. If you think about it, every element proposed for Red Cliffs already exists somewhere within the foothill trail system. We are attempting to bring them together as enhancements to a trail already built with some descent flow. When work is done on #14 Lower Tram Trail using the technical side spur for jumps and drops, we will be given the opportunity to build larger elements since they will not be part of the existing trail.

http://wheelbender.pinkbike.com/album/Junkyard/

aaarrrggghh!
    I would contend that Junkyard is one of the most fun trails around because of the berms. However, my only concern is how much faster you can ride this trail now that the berms are in place and in a perfect world that trail would be one way only due to the speed you can carry into some of the blind sections.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Smile

I agree on the junkyard trail being very fun, and especially so in one direction. the first time I road it was with my nine year old, everyone we passed was going the other direction. my son thought the trail was ok. next time we rode it counter clockwise and he is in love with the trail now and asks to go back all the time. I can keep track of him when he gets ahead or behind from the "WHEE" and "WHOO HOO" sounds he constantly emits.

mtnjam
    Thanks for your hard work Wheelbender (who are you again? probably have worked with you on trails at some time) on the JunkYard trail and I'm sure plenty of others.

From the time Buck got built I've certainly seen a progression in trailbuilding and the ideas incoroporated into building sustainable trails. Now if we can just get on with more building at Avimor, the trails there are fun, but some of the steep double track is in a state of, rutty disrepair. There's an amazing potential out there, like incorporating some of the old Coyote Classic course as new flowy singletrack. I'm happy to dig and build whenever too.
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I agree ryman, Avimor has a ton of potential. But "flowy" is the key word. I think a connection to Red Tail would be a great addition.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is there anywhere close in the valley with more easy single track like the super easy loop at military reserve? my 5 year old loves that one minus a short section of the sidehill he walks for fear of ending up in the trees

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    tried to start a new thread, but did not have enough posts yet, sorry to piggyback.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Boise Tech Trails II Update IV

RED CLIFFS Trail #39: The locations for the jumps have been determined. There will be two separate areas with three jumps each. We can also build five or six berms. Everything will be built into the existing trail. R2R prefers we not have huge numbers of workers on the trail at any one time so I would like to keep it at about six maximum. Dirt will have to be pulled from behind larger sagebrush at a distance away from the trail so as not to create visible trailside scars. Some tools will be made available to us by R2R. Again we will have to wait for wet weather in the fall before we can start work. Send me a message with contact information if you are interested in working on this project. The trail is close enough to the R2R office and parking lot we should be able to put in an hour or two after work on weekdays in addition to several weekend work sessions.

The exposure and comments this project is likely to generate will be considered as part of future trail development in the foothills. The construction will be closely scrutinized for its impact on all trail user groups and how each user traverses the feature. A small amount of trail widening is expected at the jumps, but an excessive amount will have to be addressed. The bikers using the features to their full potential, as always, will be expected to yield to any and all traffic in the approach and landing zones. Good behavior and supportive comments for the project could lead to a future technical spur off Trial #39 containing larger features.

LOWER TRAM Trail #14: Looks like we might get two technical trail spurs and work on one of the two existing rock walls rides. I will post information on this later after we have determined exactly where the spurs will be and the kind of features considered. They should be bigger than what we get on Red Cliffs for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2011

My e-mail to BLM

I wanted to share this e-mail I sent to Mr. Ridenour:

Introduction and Personal Background

I am not a resident of Boise. In fact, I live thousands of miles away, but I am writing you to express my support for the continued development of Boise’s fantastic trail system with the mountain biker in mind. I have lived and mountain biked all over the country, and Idaho is one of my favorite places to ride. The addition of more technical and challenging trail features would enhance Boise’s status as a top mountain biking destination.

Why do I care about Boise’s trails? My in-laws are from Boise, and contrary to the stereotype of husbands avoiding their in-laws at all costs, I visit Boise every chance I get. The Ridge-to-Rivers trails system and the Eagle Bike Park are a large reason why. I keep a bike in my in-law’s garage just so I can ride when I’m in town.

I am a young professional, well-educated and well-compensated, with a family. I say this simply to counter the image of the teenage “shredder” being the only kind of person interested in technical trail features, and to suggest that there are more people like me, who would be attracted to Boise as a place to visit or to live, on the basis of its trail system.

In fact, though I’m living in a large city to earn a higher salary and get good experience for a few years, I plan to move after a while to a smaller city with good mountain biking access. Boise and Chattanooga, TN are at the top of my list of candidates for relocation. As I will describe below, Chattanooga has emerged as a popular southern outdoor destination because of its support for mountain biking, and its trails are widely praised for offering unique technical rock obstacles that attract riders from all over the South. Boise can similarly enhance its trail system with technical features in a responsible way without detriment to other trail users.

Appeal for Trail Additions

I applaud Boise’s trail planners for its development and maintenance of nice singletrack. It’s a fun and well organized trail system. But there are lots of places with nice singletrack. The truly great trails and mountain biking destinations -- Moab, Sedona, Asheville, British Columbia -- are unforgettable because they have unique rocky sections, drops, exposure to large cliffs, jumps, berms, and the like. These traits make a trail exceptional and prevent the trail system from seeming homogenous.

Two of these are particularly simple and unobtrusive: berms and “whoop-de-doos.” These features increase a trail’s “flow” and fun factor are simple to construct. More elaborate wooden obstacles can also be made as part of a spur or with a walk-around so that other trail users can easily avoid them.

Examples of Trails that Successfully Integrate Technical Features

White Clay Creek State Park, Newark, Delaware

Mountain bikers in Newark, Delaware, have designed a fantastic trail system which responsibly incorporates mandmade and technical obstacles. Whoop-de-dos, berms, and table top jumps are scattered all over the trail system, all of which can easily be rolled over by trail users not interested in making full use of them. See this video at minutes 1:20 to 1:53: [Not allowed to post links0398]. White Clay Creek also features a separate spur called the “Skills Trail,” marked by a sign, and featuring an intermediate introductory obstacle to warn riders of what is ahead. See this video at minute 4:30: [Not allowed to post links]. It includes log rides, teeter totters, steep roll-ins, rock gardens, bridges and jumps.

Raccoon Mountain, Chattanooga, Tennessee

Chattanooga is an up-and-coming outdoor destination because of its embracive attitude toward mountain bikers. The city has set a goal to open 100 miles of new singletrack around the city in the next few years, and a new trail opened just recently with the very kinds of man-made obstacles that are the subject of this e-mail (log rides, table-top jumps, berms). See sorbachattanooga.org. The flagship trail is the Raccoon Mountain Trail, which capitalizes on natural rock outcroppings to create very fun trail features. See this video: [vimeo video of Raccoon Mountain].

Thank you for all you have done for mountain biking in Boise, and I hope that bikers and land managers can continue to collaborate to make the trails in Boise even better.

mtbr member
    Wheelbender -Thank you for putting in the time and effort w RTR and making noteable progress-and going through the proper channels and setting the scene for the next step-you sir, are cool in my book! I just sent an e-mail with contact info, I would love to offer my help with trail work.

Stalking Horse-Thank you for taking the time to construct a well thought out letter and add to the collective voice -I know I speak for many when I say we really do appreciate that.
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thank you Stalking Horse, Dirt Monkey, et al! As a reminder to everyone interested in progressive trail design and enhancing Boise’s riding experience please refer back to my post #11 and email Larry Ridenhour. More positive input is needed.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    Thank you Stalking Horse, Dirt Monkey, et al! As a reminder to everyone interested in progressive trail design and enhancing Boise’s riding experience please refer back to my post #11 and email Larry Ridenhour. More positive input is needed.
    And, make sure you come see "Pedal Driven" tonight at the Knit. It's all about the process of working with land managers to build the exact kind of technical riding you're all wanting (plus some pretty cool riding scenes...)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wheelbender, thanks for the PM. I tried to reply by PM but I'm not allowed because my post count is too low.

Sorry to spam all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for doing all this work. Its really great to see. I would love to help out with the building. Let me know and I will be there with shovel in hand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Trail Work Day Fast Approaching

The plans for trail features are now set and work will begin soon on Red Cliffs Trail. Ridge to Rivers has suggested we incorporate the assistance of a local young man who is working on his Eagle Scout service project. Everything appears to have fallen into place and I’m guessing work might begin the first of November.

The scope of the project will include (6) two foot tall jumps, each with a built in walk/ride around. The jumps will have side tapered takeoffs, sloping left to right or right to left as terrain dictates so as to create a high side for catching air and a low side for walkers/riders. They will have long continuous tapered landings. They will be constructed in two groups of (3) to minimize the “surprise factor” but with enough distance between to grab a couple of peddle strokes if needed or slow down to accommodate uphill foot traffic. They will be located in areas of high visibility and gentle but continuous fall along the trail.

There will also be (5-6) berms with several of the existing berms being reconstructed. In addition to the trail work we hope to assist with the ongoing sagebrush re-vegetation project.

Depending on the final volunteer count from the perspective Eagle Scout’s troop, we may still need some assistance from the local riding community. The work will likely occur on a Saturday morning. So, if you have the first couple of Saturdays in November open I would certainly like to hear from you. Drop me a private message and I will update you on the volunteer count and work day specifics as this information becomes available. Thanks to those who have already volunteered.

Ridge to Rivers has decided one trail work project of this type is enough for this year. Hopefully over the winter we can talk more about a second project with more technical features using spur trails along Lower Tram Trail near Table Rock for next spring.

The Boise Foothill Trail System has an abundance of “Dirt”; let’s see if we can maximize this to our advantage and up the YAAAAHOOOOO!!!! factor.

Go ride Junkyard, the funnest little trail in Idaho!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Good work, Wheelbender. Will you post back here once you know whether more volunteers are needed?

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Post up when you need help.. I have worked with a few trail building associations, have attended IMBA trail building school and ride enough to understand the basics of trail work.. I am also young and full of youth so I am always ready to throw some dirt at a work day..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Trail Work Day

I just sent out private messages to those who appeared interested in helping out with the work this fall. If I missed any of you please send me a private message or a post on this thread requesting information. I will reply via P.M. if more help is needed. I have to keep the numbers somewhat limited so we don't end up with an "OCCUPY BOISE" scene in the foothills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Teaser - Don't Wear It Out

Here are a couple shots of the new feature. Notice the nice safe section to the left side for hikers and timid riders! After some discussion with RtoR the final product will be a little more substantial that this one, a bit longer and a bit wider across the top. The height is acceptable but I think we will just eliminate or minimize the radius on the takeoff ramp....might provide too much kick on a riders back tire. Also bigger rolled edge over the top. Sorry no side views just yet They are intended to be low speed booters. Go ride it and post your opinions whatever they might be. Red Cliffs Trail #39. Oh ya, I got carried away on the drainage pit off to side. It's built to take the 500 year flood. The others will be built for the 100 year event. I'm learning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boise Tech Trails II-red-cliffs-jump-11-7-11-1-.jpg  

Boise Tech Trails II-red-cliffs-jump-11-7-11-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Wheelbender; 11-08-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Those look awesome. I will go check them out this afternoon and will report back with pics or video so you can see others are hitting them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

gringo-fied facsimiles
    great! f*cking up our foothills as you are learning, this is a joke right? As I ride or hike UP this trail EVERY DAY, I or my dog get hit cuz youve increased speed and danger on this trail I am sending you the bill a**hat. Bad idea to put these here. I have sent a huge complaint to Mr Gordon.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator View Post
    great! f*cking up our foothills as you are learning, this is a joke right? As I ride or hike UP this trail EVERY DAY, I or my dog get hit cuz youve increased speed and danger on this trail I am sending you the bill a**hat. Bad idea to put these here. I have sent a huge complaint to Mr Gordon.
    I concur w/ Surly.

And this is coming from a couple of people that want "featured trails" as badly as anyone.

That lump of dirt sucks for where it is and what it is. Take it to the park.

Wheelbendover gets an A for ambition and an F for implementation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I hit this Saturday and next time will go around. The ramp wouldn't let me carry any speed without kicking the rear tire.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast