mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Boise Riding - Where else?

Howdy folks,

Just moved here a few months ago and have gotten a chance to explore most of the trails in the area. Corrals, Lower Hulls and Bobs are fun, lots of cold shoulder hikers though. Velodrome has some cool stuff, the trails are 4X like and fun but I can't ride them all the time. Bogus has fun trails which are nice and cool but driving up there always deters me. Favorite ride so far is definitely the Rock Island trail leading to the parking lot at the warm springs golf course. Fast, steep in parts and gnarly! Rode up in McCall at Brundage and they have some awesome downhill trails there. Hidden Valley trail definitely rattled my brain.

So basically what I want to figure out is what else is around here? Where's the gnar? Is there anything within an hours drive that'll give me an experience like McCall or parts of table rock? I went to school in east TN and there's lots of roots and rocks. I've seen other posts about a Dry Creek and Eastside trail. Where do I find these? They any fun? Know anything about trails further south west? Eastern Oregon? WHERE'S THE GNAR?!

Since I'm still fairly new to the area I'm also looking for people to shred with. Send me a PM for my number.

mtbr member
    Welcome - We would have been glad to show you the fun stuff last Sunday on the SWIMBA ride - Oh well take a look for them on FaceBook or at SWIMBA.org

We like Dry Creek and Eastside but may not be Gnar enough for some.

More can be found out in the owhyee Desert.

Best to get hooked up with someone who has been there.

Again - Welcome and see you on the trails!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Gnar? WTF, over.

When you are ready for the gnar, then it shall find you.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Eagle's Nest trail off Warm Lake Road in Cascade is about 40 minutes closer to you than McCall.

Look out!
    Gnar in the land of the swooshing buttery smooth singletrack? Have you been to Stanley and tried Redfish Lake loop? There might be little bit of "gnar" there for you. How about Big Boulder Little Boulder loop past Stanley? The part from Frog lake to the road might be what you are looking for. As far as the Boise area, what you see is what you get. Learn to love the single track experience without rocks, roots and whatnot. Eastside is really more of the same, sweet smooth single track. For the really "gnar" experience there is Moab, ten hours to the south and east. Good luck in your search. Have a great ride today!
    Ride the bike.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Plenty of gnar up here...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: Boise Riding - Where else?

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher View Post
    Plenty of gnar up here...
    Shhhhh... Don't give them any ideas.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I meant Canada....besides folks would get lost if we didn't give them directionso
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

jalepenio jimenez
    wha'dya mean "would get lost..."?

you're assuming we aren't lost already
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    For the OP, and anyone else who may be noodling around trying to figure out the riding alternatives, here are two links that have videos / GPS maps of Dry Creek. You can look at these and decide for yourself if the gnar is quality enough.
    Dry Creek Canyon Epic MTBR » High Adventure The videos on this page focus on the upper Dry Creek canyon. The lower part of the canyon has some very steep canyon walls and rock features on the trail that have very high risk/reward - if you hit them right, you will look like a pro, if you miss them, you may find yourself rolling a hundred feet down into the bottom of the canyon. Here is a video that shows some of the lower terrain.
    Dry Creek Canyon Ride - YouTube

Have a great time riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check out Dry Creek sometime. I've been enjoying climbing and riding at Table Rock lately so I'll just stick with their for a while. I've heard that Stanley and the Sawtooths are beautiful so I'll have to get out there sometime. Speaking of Canada I was going to go up to BC this weekend with my buddy and ride the Seven Summits trail but alas I'll have to wait for my first Canadian ride experience.

Perhaps my expression of "gnar" was a bit exaggerative. Really just looking for some more interesting trail features where line selection is important.

Excited for the fall weather here!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    Gnar? WTF, over.

When you are ready for the gnar, then it shall find you.
    I have no idea what this even means

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Go check out Avimor if you haven't already... there's a little bit of technical in most of the loops.. Nothing too gnarly.. ~ Bob's trail level of 'gnar'. It's good riding out there though.. A good change of pace from the reserve/CB trails and a little faster to reach than Bogus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Any recommendations for trails at Avimor?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theykilledspike1 View Post
    Don't have any suggestions but here is a Swimba link with trail descriptions. http://swimba.org/wp-content/uploads...BA_MAP_061.pdf

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by theykilledspike1 View Post
    Here is a page that I put together with some of the rides that you can string together. Some of these are just free rides that we have done and a couple are from the Coyote Classic race that is run in the spring. There are GPS maps and vids to show you what the terrain looks like. These rides use the trails that Fred posted the link to. Avimor Mountain Biking High Adventure

Avimor is a great place to ride and it's never crowded.

mtbr member

McCall Gnar

Gnar - So you think all of Idaho is baby butt smooth?

McCall and surrounding environs...PinkBike Video