mtbr member
    Jun 2013

In Boise Idaho in 2 weeks

I'll be in Boise for work the week of the 27th. Staying right downtown Boise bear the green belt.

Is there rideable single track nearby? Only day I'd have to ride is the 30th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There's ~200 miles of designated trails within a 5 minute bike ride of downtown. Depending on your exact hotel location, Camel's Back, Military Reserve or Table Rock will be the closest. Maps and info here: Trails - City of Boise

mtbr member
    Lots and lots of trails... you can bike from your hotel most likely without having to drive! Do you have the hotel name already? If you give me more details on what kind ride and distance/elevation gain you plan on riding I can give you some suggestions

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Planning on staying at the Hampton inn, and pretty sure there is a bike rental shop nearby.

I'm fairly new to the mountain biking world. Here in WI, we have tight, slow singletrack.
    I would love something with less of a climb, fast and flowy. I'm coming from a basic hardrock, and would love to rent a dual suspension 650, just to see how they are.
    Really love mountain biking, just need some more miles and hours under my belt!

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    C'mon, Nitr0--you know you wanna climb those hills. When in Rome--errr, Boise ...

mtbr member
    If you are staying at the downtown hampton inn, you can rent demo bikes at Idaho Mountain Touring (trek, ibis) or Joyride (santa cruz, pivot), there is also George's but I'm not sure they have demo bikes I think they have Specialized in the downtown store.

Joyride store is pretty close to Camelsback trailhead so great option! Lots of short 10mi loops you can do with ~1000ft of climbing, climb isn't difficult in this area if you avoid some specific trails. I wouldn't try to climb three bears (after shane's trail), freestone ridge or Trail #4 8th street motorcycle trail

Assuming you start at camelsback you could climb red cliff, crestline, sidewinder and come back 8th street motorcycle trail and lower hulls gulch (some tricky sections if you area a beginner, you might have to walk). or if you want more you could from top of sidewinder do fat tire traverse, go down frestone ridge and traverse back to the other side using military reserve connection

some nice flow trails you should try to ride as well shane's trail, central ridge, bucktail trail

also check some of the loops at the mentioned ridge to rivers website

Rocks Rock
    Nitr0 don't get to discouraged about pushing your bike up some hills to get a break. Ive ridden in WI and know what your in for. When I came here from Austin, TX I got off my bike at least five times going up red cliff, crestline and sidewinder for the first time.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    mfa81 has some great trail suggestions.

I'll add McU Sports to the list of rental shops. They carry Kona.
    Bikes - McU Sports

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    To get a good ride in, there will be a bit of climbing, unfortunately. If you are new, especially, it can be pretty rough, but if you have some riding under your belt and your muscles are mildly used to pedaling, you should be fine. My go to loops are... from Camlesback, somehow get to Kestral (many trails end up there), down Crestline, up Sidewinder, make a right and then take Fat Tire Traverse, down Trail 5/Freestone Ridge (most people call it Trail 5 for some reason) and then onto 3 bears, up Shane's, down Shane's, down Bucktail, and either back up the Military Reserve connector, or get out to Military Reserve and ride the street back to Camelsback or back to your hotel.

Another option, from Camelsback, take the road to Highlands (map it, I forget street names), up to Corrals, climb that biotch, go down, get to the 8th Street trail, then down either Lower Hulls (hike a bike sections, not my favorite), or take Crestline to Red Cliffs and down back to Camelsback.

Starting at Military Reserve, there are a ton of options, a lot without much climbing, or do the Shane's loop, just do NOW go up Trail 5 if you don't want to climb. I personally hate going up or down that one, but it is a necessary evil at times.

There are other options nearby, but not that I would suggest if you are riding from the hotel. If you want to look into them, Polecat Loop, or across from the upper Polecat parking lot there is Peggy's/Sweet Sweet Connie/Chukkar Butte. Eagle Bike Park is pretty fun for a beginner as well. Never ridden Tablerock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitr0 View Post
    I'll be in Boise for work the week of the 27th. Staying right downtown Boise bear the green belt.

Is there rideable single track nearby? Only day I'd have to ride is the 30th.

Why not just loaf and ride the green belt? It's really quite nice riding along the river. Or ride out to Luck Peak reservoir.

If I had just a day in Boise I'd ride the greenbelt Southeast to Homestead to Lucky Peak Trail to Cobb. When I lived there those weren't extremely busy trails so a bit more fun in my opinion.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

In Boise Idaho in 2 weeks

We'll change of hotel and plans now anyways =\

I'll be staying at the holiday inn on park center blvd. I may be able to squeeze an afternoon in of biking but I would just stick with the green belt due to time.

All we have here in WI are Trek, Specialized, and Giant. I've had my eye on a Santa Cruz 5010 so I will definitely be swinging by Joyride to check them out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Check out Eastside Cycles, They are a Rocky mountain dealer and should have some demo bikes. There are some fun trails in the Table Rock area that are close to that end of town. All of the foothills trails are within easy riding distance of park center. The trail hikerdave recommended is on that end of town also, it is closed now to protect wintering deer and elk, but may be open by the time you are here. I would not consider it an easy climb though and Cob is a loose chunky downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Lots of good advice here. If you want good, legitimate flowing single track with few/relatively easy climbs that will still give you a taste of what we have to offer, the best place to do it is to start at Military Reserve and make your way up the hill to buck tail, go out and around Shane's, and come back Central Ridge and down Ridge Crest. Not that big of a ride but still a fun entre into riding in Boise. Keep in mind, that'll barely scratch the surface of what can be done. We ain't a gold level riding center for nothing!

Good online trail map here: https://www.ridgetorivers.org/media/...2016-side1.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ended up renting a SC 5010 from Joyride and went to the trails just down the road.

Coming from the most beginner bike there is, a hardrock, the SC was a blast on the downhills. I think I could get used to having a nice bike!
    As for climbing, let's just say there's not enough gas in the tank and I struggled...but I'll just blame it on the elevation and not getting on a bike for the past 5 months.

Also took a hike up to the cross on the old penitentiary trail. Big props to the folks riding their bike up that.

Awesome area, absolutely loved Boise. You locals are quite lucky!