Contagious Xian

Good job! Boise Foothills Trail Conditions

Figured it was time for a new thread......

Hit the Dork Loop up, was hoping to see Bret but he warned he might not be able to join. While waiting for as possible Crash_Burn sighting, I do a little crashing and burning of my own in the CB parking lot. Spell it D-O-R-K as I slam to my back trying to wheelie. What a spaz. If anyone saw that, yes, the freak was me. DER. mtnbkrdr98 calls on the mobile and we chat as I grimace in pain.

I say goodbye to "OC-D" ( a new nickname for you Daryl, I like it!) and pedal the loop. Up and around, the trails are almost perfect, the temp in the 40's I think, and I'm actually warm. Opened the jacket all the way up and had a nice DUDE down Hulls. I sport the Kona bear bell to warm oncoming hikerbikerdogwalkers, etc. Didn't need it though - not another person on the trail, that is until I come up on flipinidaho who's riding a rear flat to the pavement.

Certain benefits to being a featherweight include being able to ride a bike with a flat tire. If that was me, my fat arse would have to replace that baby right away. Good seeing you Gary, let's ride again soon!

Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow, but I have a strong suspicion this might be my last ride for another few days if the weather report is correct...
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 01-14-2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: California schooled

Contagious Xian

Sunset

Forgot to add that the sunset was killer tonight - my wife took these from the house.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contagious Xian

8th St. Trails shape

Were wonderful this morning, temps were perfect and almost no one riding their bikes. Amazing.

Lots of dogs and hikers, no one was dude'd coming down hulls (thank you bear bell).

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Were wonderful this morning, temps were perfect and almost no one riding their bikes. Amazing.
    Agreed. What a great morning. Shorts and rideable dry trails in January - who knew? Mtn Cove - connector - freeway - sidewinder - devil's slide - trail 6 - trail 5 - Mtn. Cove. And I wasn't even going to ride today!

Contagious Xian

Shorts!

Now why didn't I think of that?! Nice shot, looks like you got a nice ride in Geoff. How was Sidewinder as a whole? I started up the trail about 20 feet and noticed how sloppy it was and decided I better not. Does it get better higher up?

Way to get out and ride! Some folks I know are whining about it being "ski/snowboard season" or "too cold for riding." Fine with me - stay home and watch tv then, I'm getting out there though!
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 01-14-2006 at 02:49 PM.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Now why didn't I think of that?! Nice shot, looks like you got a nice ride in Geoff. How was Sidewinder as a whole? I started up the trail about 20 feet and noticed how sloppy it was and decided I better not. Does it get better higher up?

Way to get out and ride! Some folks I know are whining about it being "ski/snowboard season" or "too cold for riding." Fine with me - stay home and watch tv then, I'm getting out there though!
    Well, thick baggies with a liner. I had knee warmers and a long sleeve wicking undershirt on when I first started, but shed them both before I even hit the connector. Does everyone believe in global warming NOW?

As for Sidewinder, it's only the first 20 - 30 yards or so which is soft. Actually, today that first 20 - 30 yards had a nice little dry line right in the middle of it, which wasn't there last Saturday. (If it looks wet on that section, you can always walk around it.) The only place I ran into "gumbo" mud was on Devil's Slide, right before the turn off to trail 6. Lots of deer tracks and deer poo up there too.

As for crowds, I saw more riders this morning than I thought I would - I saw two guys coming up Kestrel, passed two more on the Freeway, and then saw one guy riding up trail 5, right where it starts off the Mtn Cove extension. However, given the explosive population growth in the valley, I guess you can't expect empty foothills trails at any time anymore.

Here's a nice @ss shot, just for you Visicypher.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 01-14-2006 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member
    did a short "dork loop" as you guys call it...

and the sunset was nice last night...

the dogs sure enjoyed it...

saw another biker last night with a vizsla....he went down red cliffs...

Visicypher...that wasn't you was it?

anyway....the sunset was very nice as the pics herein show....

the "dork loop" is in pretty good condition...

beer is good

5 mile

Yeah, the trails were great today. I rode up kestrel-ridge crest-upper buck-shanes -rocky canyon to 5 mile, then up that pretty far until I ran into too much snow after the last creek crossing, where it really starts to gain elev. Then back down to RC, up and over 3 beers, which was in great shape (tacky with loads of traction)= fast descent! then down shanes- lower buck and out.
    While on top of 3 beers I could see the sun shining on wilson peak in the owyhee's so I think I'll head out there tomorrow, if it does'nt rain.
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Nels
    Yeah, the trails were great today. I rode up kestrel-ridge crest-upper buck-shanes -rocky canyon to 5 mile, then up that pretty far until I ran into too much snow after the last creek crossing, where it really starts to gain elev. Then back down to RC, up and over 3 beers, which was in great shape (tacky with loads of traction)= fast descent! then down shanes- lower buck and out.
    While on top of 3 beers I could see the sun shining on wilson peak in the owyhee's so I think I'll head out there tomorrow, if it does'nt rain.
    Has Buck's dried out enough to be responsibly rideable? Almost got the Father Titus through its 2nd rebirth and am excited to get it back out.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Nope, that wasn't me. I was out with the dogs, but I was riding my cruiser on the trail. I do, though, get out a bunch with the dogs in the winter.

I wonder if that was Audi the Vizsla???

EP - Nice bottom, but I think RockNRollBarbie has you beat....she is a female so.....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

Not totally...

Has Buck's dried out enough to be responsibly rideable? Almost got the Father Titus through its 2nd rebirth and am excited to get it back out.
    We checked out lower bucks and there were a couple of long muddy sections on the first few swtichbacks closer to the Mil Reserve. Upper Bucks on the other hand, was super nice and the new Ridgecrest trail was in incredbile condition!!!

mtbr member

Yesterday

Went for a couple of rides yesterday. 845am dog ride when everything was nice, frozen and crusty. Lua and I saw Almer and Ti riding so we all rode together for a bit. That Ti is one fast puppy to be able to keep up with Lua.

RRB and I went for a ride early afternoon and there was a bit of mud on the following trails:
    1. The fireroad behind the shooting range (no idea what the trail name is)
    2. The connector between the fireroad and Shanes and the North side of Shanes were slick.
    3. Ridgecrest looked wet also (we didn't even try it)
    4. North side of Bucks (lower Bucks) looked very slick from a distance also.
    5. Actually, in the Mil Reserve, all North facing trails we did or saw was slick (we had to walk a bit to prevent sliding around).

All South and East facing trails were in awesome condition. Here is RRB on the dry part of Shanes.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004

Monday 1-16-06 AM ride?

My office is closed today, and I'm planning on riding this AM while it's still cold enough that the trails will be frozen and crusty. Looking to do the same or similar route Nels mentioned above. If anyone else is interested in joining me on a mellow ride this AM, meet me around 8:45 or so at the start of the Mtn. Cove trail (end of the pavement on Mountain Cove road in the Reserve).

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I rode some foothills trails yesterday on the steel wheels which pretty much sucked. So I pulled out the CX and the trails pretty much sucked again. They pretty much sucked on Saturday too even though is was a bit warmer. A spur-of-the-moment trip up to Bogus Saturday night yielded a snowstorm and about 5 inches of freshies which was a real suckfest. Friday night at Bogus was a major suckfest too and it was a whole bunch windier which blew all the loose snow over the the lee side of the ridges. I couldn't believe how much that sucked. Pretty much any time I get on a bike or on my skis is a suck-o-rama shesh. At least I've got my sofa and my remote and my bag of pork rinds. There's not much suckage there.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Contagious Xian

Would've love to..

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    My office is closed today, and I'm planning on riding this AM while it's still cold enough that the trails will be frozen and crusty. Looking to do the same or similar route Nels mentioned above. If anyone else is interested in joining me on a mellow ride this AM, meet me around 8:45 or so at the start of the Mtn. Cove trail (end of the pavement on Mountain Cove road in the Reserve).
    ..but CMS doesn't shut down for MLK or pretty much any other holidays...if liquor stores or tobacco shops are open so are we....

How was the ride?

-Jealous

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    ..but CMS doesn't shut down for MLK or pretty much any other holidays...if liquor stores or tobacco shops are open so are we....

How was the ride?

-Jealous
    Yeah, p-star (aka Michael) told me that yesterday. For what I assume to be company historical and/or socio-political reasons, we're closed for just about every federal holiday. I'm enjoying it while I can, because if we ever intend to fund our growth with some sort of public offering, I'm sure I'll be kissing my Friday afternoons and Federal holidays goodbye!

Ah, the ride. As Twisted would say, it was so good it sucked. A little snow on 3 bears, and a cold headwind while riding up Rocky Canyon road, but all the trails that have been muddy for the last few weeks (Ridgecrest, Central Ridge, Shanes, 3 Bears, Bucktail) were frozen solid.

mtbr member

Probably redundant

but Hulls and The Freeway are a mucky mess. I ran this a.m. and actually had to take the motorcycle trail up to 8th street at the footbridge because Freeway was so muddy and slick.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

sharing the love
    Quote Originally Posted by MTNgirl
    but Hulls and The Freeway are a mucky mess. I ran this a.m. and actually had to take the motorcycle trail up to 8th street at the footbridge because Freeway was so muddy and slick.
    When it looks like this outside....

The trail conditions are pretty much a given.
    [SIZE=1]"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells[/SIZE]

Contagious Xian

Snow Ride

...it's looking like it's going to be a fun one this afternoon..

mtbr member

I just got back from a little spin...

No snow out there... just tacky ground and muddy at spots... but the usual spots should be ok unless it pours...

Contagious Xian

Frosty was there

Gary - You must've finished before 5pm....CBro and I had a nice little flurry o' dorkfest, it was killer.

Saw one other cyclist out there and runners/hikers who weren't afraid of the white stuff.

I loved it. Rock on with increasing cowbell.
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 01-20-2006 at 05:53 PM. Reason: this new thing called "spelling"

the new Gilbert Grape
    Gary - You must've finished before 5pm....CBro and I had a nice little flurry o' dorkfest, it was killer.
    I went up Hull's and down Bob's between 4:00 and a little after 5:00. Hull's was decent, and Bob's less so (but not horrible).

I saw a few runners/hikers, no bikers, and more snow flurries than I'd expected. Of course it's raining now, so I guess I was lucky to get out when I did.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

King of the Barneys
    ...it's looking like it's going to be a fun one this afternoon..
    And you were right, it was great fun! A little wet in spots, but nice and cold with horizontal blowing snow up higher. Good stuff, compadre.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin