mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Boise Bike Meeting at the Falcon Tavern Thursday

http://www.idahostatesman.com/boise/story/834029.html

The key word that caught my eye is "proposed laws". It would be a shame if they started cracking down on cyclists when from what I've heard, the majority of the fatalities were automobile caused.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    They are definitely cracking down on bicyclists. I got a ticket the other day on my commute home for crossing curtis at northview outside of the crosswalk.
    Idaho

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    They are definitely cracking down on bicyclists. I got a ticket the other day on my commute home for crossing curtis at northview outside of the crosswalk.
    Where you riding on the sidewalk prior to this? If you're riding on the street, you should not be in the crosswalk at all. If you were acting as a pedestrian and riding your bike on the sidewalk, then whatever laws apply to pedestrians would apply to you - likely staying in the crosswalk.

I assume that one of the "proposed laws" is the "3-foot to pass" law that has been discussed quite a bit locally. The law requires cars to give cyclist 3-feet when passing, and allows them to cross a solid yellow line (middle of the street) in order to pass the cyclist.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How could they get mad at your for not using the cross walk? Fight that stupid thing.

mtbr member
    I hope you're screwing with us. I'll have a tough time not getting in big trouble if I got pulled over for that.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    I hope you're screwing with us. I'll have a tough time not getting in big trouble if I got pulled over for that.
    No doubt! Especially with some of the stupid stuff cars do all the time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The actual citation is "failure to obey pedestrian signal". I was riding NW on Lynwood, which butts up to the intersection. One must cross a sidewalk to get from Lynwood to Curtis/Northview. I noticed the pedestrian signal was flashing yellow, and I cut diagonally across the intersection to the NW corner. A cop was in the northbound right lane on Curtis. No cars were turning from Northview on to northboard Curtis.

He told me I should have got off my bike and walked it through the crosswalk. I'm not going to fight it, but I'm also not going to get off my bike and walk through the crosswalk.
    Idaho

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    load earpiercing harleys are invisible, but a bicycle is not. there is a fine line between
    a cop and a criminal

mtbr member
    but I'm also not going to get off my bike and walk through the crosswalk.
    check the law..i think riding a bike through crosswalk is illegal.

bikes should stay off the sidewalks. the seperation from the road..and the speed you carry on a bike vs. walking puts you in danger to being hit by a vehicle.

you're on the outside of the peripheral site...

this whole crackdown on people riding bikes illegally is stupid. how 'bout put a camera at red lights and send people tickets for blowing through red lights. how about pulling over vehicles for all the shitty driving we all see every time we hit the road.

the guys that were killed were following the rules of the road perfectly. it is clear that all cases it was the driver's fault. and the pooo lice see that as a reason to crack down on bikers?

there are crappy bikers and drivers out there. that will never change.

the way i see it...is to just protect myself as best i can by riding defensively and staying alert. i also ride as little road as possible. fortunately i can take the greenbelt for 90% of my commute. stay safe

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The funny thing is there were 3 or 4 people riding their bikes through the crosswalk past the cop right before I got there.
    Idaho

mtbr member
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Add $50 to a ticket? That's crapola.

I bet they end up requiring bikes to be registered.
    Idaho

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Time for a a call to arms. Bozo wigs and rubber chickens for all.

And a monthly handgun to prevent the government from gaining too much authority over its citizenry.

And the right to carry a concealed weapon into a place where alcohol is served. Because you never know how drunk you might get.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Time for a a call to arms. Bozo wigs and rubber chickens for all.

And a monthly handgun to prevent the government from gaining too much authority over its citizenry.

And the right to carry a concealed weapon into a place where alcohol is served. Because you never know how drunk you might get.
    When and where?

Contagious Xian
    Add $50 to a ticket? That's crapola.

I bet they end up requiring bikes to be registered.
    Apparently this guy got a $3.50 discount.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/836497.html

Read the comments below too.

mtbr member
    I think I can quote this from the article without loosing context. "He" refers to a state senator:

Here are three things he'd like to see Idaho adopt:

A 3-feet-to-pass law. The bill would allow motorists to cross the center line, when it's safe, to allow 3 feet of passing distance near cyclists.

A law making it illegal to throw things at or harass cyclists.

An extra fine for bicyclists who break traffic laws. When a cyclist gets a ticket, an added $50 fee would assessed. The money would go into a fund to promote bicycling safety and infrastructure improvements.
    So when I mount a bicycle it becomes legal to throw stuff at me? I just figured that cop's dislike for cyclists is why throwing stuff at cyclists was not treated as battery.

The $50 seems like pork barrel. It is explained as funding bike lanes but I call BS.

In addition:
    "Some may see this as a Boise or Treasure Valley issue, which could be addressed at the local level. Werk disagrees."
    We don't hear much about places outside the treasure valley (about anything...) I commute from Kuna to HP in boise. That puts me in Boise, Ada County, Meridian, Boise and maybe Garden City. I think handling at the state level is a good thing.

Of course, read the article for full context.

mtbr member
    The actual citation is "failure to obey pedestrian signal". I was riding NW on Lynwood, which butts up to the intersection. One must cross a sidewalk to get from Lynwood to Curtis/Northview. I noticed the pedestrian signal was flashing yellow, and I cut diagonally across the intersection to the NW corner. A cop was in the northbound right lane on Curtis. No cars were turning from Northview on to northboard Curtis.

He told me I should have got off my bike and walked it through the crosswalk. I'm not going to fight it, but I'm also not going to get off my bike and walk through the crosswalk.
    You might be able to fight it for being the wrong citation. I'm pretty sure there is never a valid reason it is legal to cross an intersection diagonally. If you were moving as a vehicle (i.e. not as a pedestrian on sidewalk) you shouldn't use crosswalk or follow pedestrian signal.

I think to go where you were legally, the clearest answer is to not cross the sidewalk. I would do that though. However, you probably should cross the sidewalk into the shoulder. Then you would need to enter the left turn lane which is not possible from that location so you would have to go down curtis and turn around. (sounds crazy but what would you legally do in a car if you were in the right lane going through the intersection and decide to turn onto northview?) I guess you either cross as a pedestrian or don't get caught.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    I think I can quote this from the article without loosing context. "He" refers to a state senator:
    So when I mount a bicycle it becomes legal to throw stuff at me? I just figured that cop's dislike for cyclists is why throwing stuff at cyclists was not treated as battery.
    The $50 seems like pork barrel. It is explained as funding bike lanes but I call BS.
    In addition:
    We don't hear much about places outside the treasure valley (about anything...) I commute from Kuna to HP in boise. That puts me in Boise, Ada County, Meridian, Boise and maybe Garden City. I think handling at the state level is a good thing.
    Of course, read the article for full context.

I didn't read it that way but when you point it out it sure does sound like it is legal to do so. Thats a good catch. Agreed that something needs to be done at a state level...