Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Board roll call

112K views 314 replies 207 participants last post by  Xylx 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't know if you guys have noticed, but I think this board gets more traffic than any of the regional boards other than the Colorado and Cali boards. There also seem to be more and more new posters on the board. I think it's time for a general board roll call. Where do you live, how old are you, what's your primary bike, who from the board have you ridden with, and what's your brew of choice? (Ignore the last question if it offends you.) If you have a photo of yourself, post it so we know what you look like!

Earthpig (aka Geoff)

Location - Boise, on the Mesa

Age - turning 35 tomorrow

Bike - Ventana X5 (fork finally back from Marzocchi!) (also have a road bike, cross bike and a hardtail)

Have ridden with - smilycook, crash_burn, twistedcrank, flipinidaho, Nels, mtnbkrdr98, lv2ride, Bombin 40x, riderx40, Wayndar, Irishbuddha, MarkV, rideit, Visicypher, adso, justen, and Sparticus from the OR/SS boards. (Also have met CBro and BelaySlave, but have not ridden with them)

Brew - PBR when I'm thirsty, Miller Lite when I'm watching my weight, OE or Bull when I want a quick, cheap buzz, and Black Butte Porter when I want the best beer on the planet

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I agree. This is a very active board. Lot's of good stuff.

TFloyd

Age - just turned 53 (my age>most dirt)

Bike - 2004 Hoo Koo E Koo (Hoping to go full suspension in January)

I don't think I've ridden with anyone from the board

Brew - Bud Lite (yeah, I know, I know).

Sorry, no pics. They didn't make cameras in the stone age.

#3 ·
smilycook

Smilycook:
Location - Boise

Age - 26
Bike - Titus Racer-x 100 and Supermoto and a dobbiaco road bike

Have ridden with - smilycook, crash_burn, twistedcrank, , Nels, mtnbkrdr98

Met: CBro and BelaySlave, flipinidaho, rideit, budda, markv, wayndar, lv2ride, adso, justen, probably others but can't think of them now..

Brew - not much of a drinker so I am a light weight but I enjoy Samuel Adams a lot when I do.

Attachments

#4 ·
Visicypher (aka Al):
Location - Boise (by Earthpig and Irishbuddha)

Age - 36

Bike (Primary) - Blur with XTR. Backup #1 - Bullit, Backup #2, Rocky Mountain Vertex Team Only, Backup #3, Electra Flyin' Sue Cruiser, Back #4 Dean Ti Road, etc.

Have ridden with - flipinidaho, Irishbuddha, MarkV, Earthpig

Brew - Sapphire & Tonic, Gatorade

#5 · (Edited)
mtnbkrid

Mark

Boise

48 years young

'03 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC Avid mech. disc brakes manitou minute fork

Adam W., otherwise haven't ridden with anyone from the board. Mostly do my riding by myself. I do enjoy reading everyones exploits and the information is great. One of these days I'll break out of my shell and join a ride.

Fave beer, hmmmmm, for starters: Red Hook Sun Rye, Portland Honey lager, Becks, Warsteiner, Big Sky Brewery Summer Ale, Highlands Hollow Spoon Tongue, and Tablerock Woodpecker Light. Of course when enjoying any of the above, it should be as cold as possible. :D

Attachments

#6 ·
Cbro (Chris) yeah, I know, how many Chrises do we need anyway?
Location - Boise

Age - turning 47 next month.

Bike - Bridgestone rigid SS ("Gray Lady")
Red Steel Hardtail (Helen Back),
Bianchi Road Bike (" ________ Roadie"),
Tandem Cruiser ("Date Night") and
a couple beater loaner mtnbikes.

Have ridden with - Nels, Bombin4x, Belay Slave, met Twisted Crank on the trail when I broke the chain on the SS, I think Mtnbkrdr98 on a Sobernaughts ride? Have seen Crash n Burn on the trail, and who knows?

Have met Smilycook, Mtnbkrdr98, Dave Thomas, Earthpig, Lv2Ride, and a few others I forget.

Brew - Old standbys: MacTarnahans, Alaskan Amber, Mac and Jacks, any good cold Heff, and Mirror Pond.

Attachments

#7 ·
sorry, I almost forgot!

CBro said:
Cbro (Chris) yeah, I know, how many Chrises do we need anyway?
Location - Boise

Age - turning 47 next month.

Bike - Bridgestone rigid SS ("Gray Lady")
Red Steel Hardtail (Helen Back),
Bianchi Road Bike (" ________ Roadie"),
Tandem Cruiser ("Date Night") and
a couple beater loaner mtnbikes.

Have ridden with - Nels, Bombin4x, Belay Slave, met Twisted Crank on the trail when I broke the chain on the SS, I think Mtnbkrdr98 on a Sobernaughts ride? Have seen Crash n Burn on the trail, and who knows?

Have met Smilycook, Mtnbkrdr98, Dave Thomas, Earthpig, Lv2Ride, and a few others I forget.

Brew - Old standbys: MacTarnahans, Alaskan Amber, Mac and Jacks, any good cold Heff, and Mirror Pond.
I've ridden a handful of great mini-epics over the years with Formica from up north! See you in about 10 days, Mrs. Adventure! You know how it is. We locals forget that the whole world doesn't revolve around Boise....

CDB

#8 · (Edited)
ryman (Ryan)
Location - Boise

Bike: '01 Titus Switchblade; backup/commuter '96 KHS Alite 8000

Have ridden with - Irishbuddha, smilycook, that I know of
met: twisted crank, Visicypher, others that I can't remember user names

Brew - any kind, except wheat beers (allergic)

Photo:can't find any right now of me biking, only skiing, or doing what I do best in this photo, eating..

Attachments

#9 ·
BelaySlave aka Nick

Live behind the Zion Curtain aka Caldwell, but work in Downtown Boise.

32 now, turn 33 in September.

My NEW bike is a Yeti 575 (YAY!!!). My other rides include a road bike, hardtail, and SS.

I've ridden with CBro and Bombin4X. I've met smilycook, Earthpig, and lv2ride. I think I saw Irishbuddha one day in passing on Buck's.

Member of SWIMBA, but I haven't done any volunteer work for 'em this year nor attended any meetings.

Other outdoor pursuits: Hiking/backpacking, snowshoeing, XC skiing, camping. Former rockclimber that no longer wants to climb.

I have good endurance, just not enough power especially for climbs.

Odd fact about me as it relates to biking: The other day I unearthed my videotape which contained a show from Channel 7 (Exploring Idaho or Discovering Idaho or sumpin' like that) that was filmed in either 1995 or 1996. This particular episode focused on outdoor classes at BSU...kayaking, rockclimbing, and mountain biking. Well I was in a mountain biking class that semester and they used a couple of us in the shots. Good ol' Specialized Stumpjumper M2 with no suspension whatsover and me wearing bike shorts with a Barber-to-Boise tshirt tucked in. Good times! :D

This is from last year's Labor Day weekend trip at Buckhorn Bar...

#10 · (Edited)
CBro said:
I've ridden a handful of great mini-epics over the years with Formica from up north! See you in about 10 days, Mrs. Adventure! You know how it is. We locals forget that the whole world doesn't revolve around Boise....

CDB
I was going to say...

Real name, Penny
Spokane, ok it's not Idaho but I sure seem to ride a lot in Idaho
bike Kona King Kikapu
beer, n/a that's one way I keep my girlish figure

ridden with Cbro, Jubilee, and a few other folks

note, not sure what's up with Mr. Adventrue, he did a mystery number to his shoulder when we were on the 20 mile trail. It's not seperated but???so he and the kid might be hiking.

#11 · (Edited)
TwistedCrank aka the other Dirk

BIKES: Split time between a fully rigid Surly 1x1 with big ol' black tires, a Surly Karate Monkey with big ol' black tires and a Lemond Poprad with pretty blue tires.

RIDDEN WITH: Earthpig, Crash_Burn, flipinidaho, Smilycook, Ryman, Irishbudda, Nels, 98, Bombin4x, Impdude, RockNRollBarbie, SurlyAnInstigator, georgezilla, OldPro, Visicypher, Howley, dmeek, Laffaux, sweetflowersystem, a buncha people from the Oregon board

FAVORITE BREW: Hammer

Attachments

#12 ·
OK, I'll play...

Flipnidaho aka Gary

BIKES: Klein Attitude singlespeed, homebuild mtnbike frame, Dean Jester singlespeed, Old Stumpy converted to a Cross bike, Serotta Track bike, Rocky Mountain Altitude, Trek Composite (carbon with AL lugs), Giant Iguana, Ionic roadie, Giant TCR0, Klein Attitude geared bike, Ionic Ti singlespeed, Klein Mantra, Trek Fuel 100, KHS Alite 400, Quattro Assi roadie, I think I have a few more that I lost track of...

RIDDEN WITH: I think pretty much everyone on this board and then some at one point or another.... well, except for CBro and some of the newer folks

MET: see Ridden with...
FAVORITE BREW: For beer, I prefer Rolling Rock but I'm not much of a beer dude. Gin and Tonics on the other hand, are a different story... My favorite is Bombay Sapphire...

I don't do trail work but I do volunteer as a trail ranger (I'm the flip ranger on SS, very hard to miss)... Favorite trail- anything with a lot of climbing although I suck at downhilling...

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Ed from Helena, MT

My name's Ed,
Live in Helena, Montana
i'm 28
i'm into XC
i ride an '04 specialized stumpjumper. also own a '92 Schwinn paramount roadie.
I don't think i've ridden with anyone from this board.
I drink most beers and wines. lighter in the hot weather and thicker in the cold.
no action pics.

#14 · (Edited)
Joe From Kalispell, MT

Howdy, I'm Joe Fisher
Live in Kalispell, Montana
I'm 48 years old/young.
I've been riding for a long time, mountain bikes about 10 years, road 30 years or so. I'm not really into jumping, dh, stuff like that. I just like to go to the woods and ride, climb, etc..

I only discovered this board a few days ago, I''ve not been riding as much the past few years as I used to. However, this should change with my new ride. :)

I just got a Rocky Mountain ETS-30 a few days ago. I"m in Missoula for a class (ends tomorrow) I rode the Rocky on a side trail up the Rattlesnake, I forget the name, but the trail was steep and covered with shale. That Rocky climbed like a scalded cat! At about the time my Kona would be slipping and losing traction, the Rocky just dug in and held on. The only reason I had to stop was cause the motor lost
power. ;-)

Bikes: Rocky Mountain ETSX-30 (first full boinger I"ve ever had)
Kona Hot with RS Mag 20 front fork.

Joe Fisher
Kalispell, MT

#15 ·
Location - Boise

Age - 29
Bike - Turner XCE

Have ridden with - smilycook, Earthpig, Nels, mtnbkrdr98, lv2ride, adso, justen, Squeezer, and others that I'm forgetting . I'm bad with names and handles- much better remembering people's bikes;).

Brew - Have to go with Fat Tire

Attachments

#16 ·
I mostly lurk....

Ivan the Terrible aka Ian

BIKES: Yeti AS-X, Specialized P.3, Redline Cyclocross (for sale), Raleigh Internationale Road Bike.

RIDDEN WITH: Irishbudda, he probably doesn't remember though.

MET: Smileycook, Daryl

FAVORITE BREW: Most of the Deschutes lineup.

I run the other half of spudhucksters.com

#17 ·
Roll Call? Lets Roll!

You can call me Hey You! but if we get to know each other, Bret works fine.

I live in the NORTH END, where do you live? Did I tell you I live in the NORTH END! (Earthpig inside joke)

I'am 41 going on 20

I have sex with my ML7, it sometimes hurts.

Interest? I'am frickin posting on the internet - the Love to Ride will make you do things.

Right now I'am into strong coffee

If I've ridden with you I'am sorry, in advance of our meeting let me say I'am sorry.

Looking forward to a board get together - I missed the last one.

Thanks Geoff for the pic/avatar!

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
Happy Birthday, Geoff!

Name: Daryl King aka Mtnbkrdr98

Ridden with or Met: Earthpig, Smilycook, Nels, Ivan the Terr, Crashburn, Justin, Swede and Son, Bikemech23, IrishBuddha, Mark

Years riding: 7

Current Stable: RM Slayer (frame for sale), Kona Shred
But in the photo I am riding a 6 ft. 1 in. Thruster squash tail

Current Habitat: NE Boise

Favorite Beer: Mirror Pond, Alaskan Pale Ale, Newcastle, occasional Guinness, anything dark and good (I usually only indulge in 1 or 2 brews, ever)

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Haroow: aka Adrian

2 bikes-- one is my mistress 01 superlight my other better half...the other a nashbar hardtail atb frame and all decked in Black....

Met: probably none...though a alot of you may have raced at this years enduro...

Ridden with: DavefromDriggs...though wasn't with him....again enduro....
Motionmann, Rubbermaid...seems to never post...and will meet Brewsome in the coming weeks....

Favorite Brew: I have few pints of Fat Tire after racing the Enduro..Ice Tea and Water is cheaper and better for me...

pic will come after development

#20 · (Edited)
SWB Farmers representin'

handle: bombin4x aka CP aka Craig

crib: SW Boise

bike: 04 Kona Coiler

ridden with: CBro, "98", Earthpig, BelaySlave, flipinidaho, Visi, Crash_Burn, lv2ride, Nels, Impdude, 98, RRB, Twisted Crank, laffeaux and probably a few more I forgot

fermentations: ice cold Alaskan Ale

Attachments

#21 ·
Eric from Helena

I'm 32 this fall; riding XC on a M2 Stumpjumper. I live in on the southern end of Helena, so I don't have to go very far to hit singletrack. The only person on the board I've ridden with to date is sfotex. Don't have any pictures of myself on this computer.

Helena's a decent place for beer, with Blackfoot's taproom. My wife is English, and I've picked up the taste for traditional English-style bitters.

#274 ·
I'm 32 this fall; riding XC on a M2 Stumpjumper. I live in on the southern end of Helena, so I don't have to go very far to hit singletrack. The only person on the board I've ridden with to date is sfotex. Don't have any pictures of myself on this computer.

Helena's a decent place for beer, with Blackfoot's taproom. My wife is English, and I've picked up the taste for traditional English-style bitters.
Holy cow, but this was buried on this thread. Sh!t done changed in 8 years. With the forum's software update, it bumped a bunch of old threads, and I just read a post of mine in which I mentioned that the woman at the LBS told me that mine was one of 6 29ers she knew of in this town. That, and I'm no longer marriaged, I've met loads of forum members while traveling around, and I'm not scared of pointing my bike downhill anymore. Woo hoo!

Anyway, I'm Eric, currently riding either a Banshee Prime or a Canfield Yelli Screamy, and I still live on the south end of Helena, right up against a couple trailheads. Avid participant in the Gravity Guild group rides out of the Garage. Blackfoot is still a quality brewery, but now Lewis & Clark really gives it a run for its money.

I've ridden a lot of places since then, and I've come to realize that Helena has it pretty good for a mtb community. If you're in the area, try to catch a Tuesday or Thursday ride out of the Garage, meet some folks, and see our trails.

#23 ·
Love it love it love it

Ivan the Terrible said:
Ivan the Terrible aka Ian

BIKES: Yeti AS-X, Specialized P.3, Redline Cyclocross (for sale), Raleigh Internationale Road Bike.

RIDDEN WITH: Irishbudda, he probably doesn't remember though.

MET: Smileycook, Daryl

FAVORITE BREW: Most of the Deschutes lineup.

I run the other half of spudhucksters.com
Ian - I love the vids and pics you and Brad put up. Hoping to someday ride with you guys since you're at a level I would love to be at. Keep up the good work man~ CP

#24 ·
Yet another

Name: Irishbuddha or hey fatboy that was the last beer, Mike, flipper etc.

Live: Above Viscypher and west of Earthpig and under the constant pressure of four females.

Age: Old enough to know better but still trying to get away with it - 40 something!

Have ridden with: Mark V Viscyperh, SNixon, Smilycook, Ryman, Twisted, Flipnidaho, Earthpig, Xylx. At least that is who I can remember. But at 44 my memory is constantly letting me down.

Favorite beverage: Where to start? Of course Guinness unless there is anticipated spillage and then it is PBR. Then some where between hazelnut brown ale to a nice dark porter - oh, so many great beers. But we shouldn't forget all those great gins like Bombay and Hendrick's or the delightful Too Kill Yous like Don Julio, and last but not least nothing like snuggling up to a nice big heady cab.

With all these great choices, morning requires another special brew. The grind and bean better make creama so thick and sweet it stands the pencil up.

Favorite post ride snack: Cheese Puffs from the Co-Op shared with Pete the wonder dog. Anybody that has ridden in Boise very long, has seen Pete the fastest four legged Border Collie blow by. If you want to make a new friend, he loves Cheese Puffs.

Favorite bike: The one I am on which might be an Inbred or something Titus.

Measurements: 32-20, long top tubes, low standover (for short Irish legs), stout cranks, firm yet supple young grips on a set of wide bars, and a saddle that will go all day!

Turn ons: Sharing tight twisty technical single track with good friends and then shots of Don Julio and Cheese Puffs for laughs.

Turn offs: Eating dirt on sweet single track that was destroyed by 4-wheelers sporting thick unibrows and mullets.

Mostly I love to ride and laugh with good friends!

Attachments