mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Biking at night in the winter??

Hi, I travel back and forth between Boise and Anchorage and have gotten spoiled in Anchorage in the winter time riding the snowbike out the front door at night after work with lights on. I haven't spent a great deal of time in Boise in the winter, but can you ride either a snowbike or regular mtn bike in the foothills at night with lights? Does anyone do it?

Are there any other outdoor activities to do at night in the winter in Boise? I know you have cross-country skiing and down-hill skiing but that's up at Bogus, just looking for something right in Boise or the foothills? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yes you can night ride in the footies with lights, i have done it a few times. good stuff.i really enjoy it because it is basically impossible to overheat
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am thinking 2-3 p.m. is warmer for winter riding. But I am a wuss......

Look out!
    Nothing like jumping the gun. I know winter is right around the corner in Anchorage but, we have until Dec or Jan before winter actually shows up here. As long as the trails are dry/frozen no problems at all, if they are wet, best to stay off them until they dry out as erosion is a problem in the foothills during the winter. Enjoy the heat and sunshine!
    Ride the bike.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Yer gonna die.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

winter riding

Thanks for the replys and yes winter is just about here in Anchorage. Does it snow enough in the winter in the foothills where a snowbike would be useful? Can you snowbike anywhere close to Boise, or have you seen many people with them?

Is there a fair amount of people who do ride in the foothills at night with lights? Like I said I am spoiled with being able to ride our snowbikes at night with lights here and would like to be able to continue biking at night or doing something at night outdoors in Boise in the dark of winter?? Ideas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    idaho has alot of groomed snowmobile trails. you should be able to get lots of winter snowbiking in. the snowmobile trails are usually rock hard after a grooming and a good freeze.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You probably won't see much riding for the snowbike close to Boise. Drive 45 minutes and you could ride it up by Idaho City. My friends and I ride our bikes in the snow-when there is snow. Most of the time the trails aren't snow covered, but the trick to riding is do it when the trails are frozen. This can be achieved at night or early morning. It's awesome riding...and you have the trails almost all to yourself.