Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Biking in Great Falls

I am going to be visiting family in Great Falls for Thanksgiving. I think the Rivers Edge trails are still open. Does anyone know if that is the case and which one would you recommend - North or South side of the river?

Finally, anyone have interest in riding on Turkeyday or Friday? FYI - I am more than comfortable biking technical sections.

Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Still rideable as long as we don't get rain or snow before turkey day. Both sides are good. If you haven't been on the south shore for a while there is new single track out to cochrane dam. I might be down for a ride, I don't have plans yet....

mtbr member
    The south shore is quite nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking in Great Falls-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm riding early on thanksgiving, more than welcome to join in. Trails are riding PERFECT right now- fast & dry.

Ray- I'll round everyone up to try an early ride, I was thinking 8:30ish, we gotta be in missoula about 2. Henry won't go for that, but everyone else should be down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

sounds like a plan

I live in Missoula and have only ridden the the south side one time, never the north.

I would love to join you on a ride. I could start at 8:30. I will watch for additional postings, but out of touch after 4 on wednesday.

My cell is 546-4537

Thanks,

Bret George

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Plan is meet at 8:30 at rainbow dam trailhead (lewis & clark overlook) on the south shore. Sounds like there is going to be quite a few people riding. I'll be on a new Enduro carbon. Anyone else who would like to ride is more than welcome.

-Cameron

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    is this the same Cameron I know from biking at Pipestone? I have the monster Red Van.

See you there. Anyone live close to what I describe as the SW part of town (by the country club). I would take a ride if so.

thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It's the same cameron indeed. If you don't have a ride lined up by tonight give me a call at 590-0300 and I can pick you up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Great Falls Rocks

Thanks to those that shared their Thanksgiving morning with me to ride in G. Falls. The trail was awesome. I ended up riding the North side the next two days. Loved the trails over there. Especially loved that they were in primo shape. Helena is also riding real nice. I rode Mt. Helena yesterday. Four days off...four days of riding.

mtbr member
    ther aint no trails in great falls

ps Im gonna be back out there by the end of january

mtbr member

Conditions

Can anyone comment on north/south shore conditions. Rideable yet?

mtbr member
    Gona be there on sunday, what are the trails like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Covered in snow. We had a week's worth of good riding, and then we got dumped on again.

mtbr member
    Subscribed
    I'm from Helena, but the Mrs. is checked into Mommy Jail at the Benefis for a month or so until the little ones arrive. Then we'll still be coming up here for another month or 2 at least. I've started bringing a bike even though everything is still snow covered. Any input on rides would be helpful. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Don't know if you've seen a trail map yet, but the link is below. After the snow melts, the north shore usually dries out faster. If you're here overnight, we do night rides as well.

http://www.thetrail.org/maps/RTI10MapRURAL-LowRez.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks rayray. Great map. Do I basically stay on 10th Ave out of town to access these areas? I will be here nights but don't have much of a lighting system. I could come up with something, though. I'll be in Great Falls Thursday thru Sunday every week. Sounds like you don't hit the trails while they are covered in snow?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Directions to Northshore Trailhead

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...06244&t=h&z=12

Directions to Southshore Trailhead

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=15

If it looks like we're gonna ride, I'll try to post here a day in advance and you're welcome to join.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rayray. This weekend I checked out both trailheads from both of the maps. As you know, still too snowy/muddy. But I did a ride up and down the paved bike path on the south shore. I have never visited the (formerly) great falls, there was some cool history and scenery. Kind of a shame that the city namesakes are just memories now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayray74
    Directions to Northshore Trailhead

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...06244&t=h&z=12

Directions to Southshore Trailhead

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=15

If it looks like we're gonna ride, I'll try to post here a day in advance and you're welcome to join.
    I've done a lot of the River's Edge Trails now, both north and south shore. The only leg that I know of that I haven't done yet is the north side Rainbow loop stuff. There is a sign at that trailhead saying some of it may be closed. So have you Great Falls riders started any organized group rides yet? I'd love to get out and see more. I'm in town Thursdays through Sunday morning. I tried using my phone's GPS to log some rides, there are the maps.
    North side: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...6bc801905be0a4
    South side: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...8416d637cde1f8

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The trails are about 95 percent rideable now. North shore is all good, the upriver section is closed once you hit the gravel road, all the singletrack is open. On the south shore the first lower section of mayhem is snowy and some sections between ryan dam and box elder creek on the lower trail are most likely a little wet, but other than that it's all good. If you or anyone else wants some guiding give me a ring and I'll take ya out. Cameron 5900300

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I like the red bike and rim. Our Gift of Life apartment is right by that statue. I was biking around there this Saturday working on wheelies...

River's Edge trails a few weeks ago near Cochrane dam

BMX:Our Shining Future

It's A Great Day

in great falls
    hub of Montana's best riding
    Lewis And Clark National Forest
    the most bike friendly national forest
    ever
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking in Great Falls-best35.jpg  

mtbr member
    "the most bike friendly national forest
    ever"

Everywhere but the Rocky Mountain Front. There have been massive bike closures in recent years. All most no trails around Gibson reservoir or any trails that lead into the wilderness are open any more. All the other ranges however are completely open. I don't know of any trails closed to bikes elsewhere in the L&C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking in Great Falls-silver-gulch-june-07-011-1.jpg  

mtbr member

Saturday 4/3

It was a windy day, but we had made plans to ride so we did. We rode from the Rainbow dam to the Ryan dam and back. The headwind on the ride back was brutal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast