mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Bikepacking suggestion near Boise, ID

Howdy,
    I'll be in Boise, ID in one month from today and was thinking of heading out for a 4-day bikepacking trip. Is something like Boise -> Idaho City -> Deadwood river -> Cascade, ID reasonable? Or should I be looking for a ride in other directions? I am looking for ~50 miles/6-10k ft. per day. Hopefully, one resupply point per day. Any suggestions appreciated (including weather/snow at high elevations).
    Thanks!

26er
    are you thinking dirt roads or singletrack?
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    A mix of both. Want to take in the scenery, but also cover distance and relax just pedaling along sometime. I came up with this partial loop: (START) Boise -> Idaho City (via dirt roads, mostly) -> Hungarian Ridge -> Barbar Flat -> Phifer Creek Rd. -> Roaring River Trail -> Trinity Lake Campground -> Trinity Lake trail -> Crosscut trail -> Fall Creek resort -> Anderson Dam (END)

125 miles, 32k ft., 3 days?

Any info would be appreciated. I have never been there, but read that Hungarian Ridge trail is maintained by dirtbikers - so a bit weary of potentially ugly riding conditions. Same for Crosscut trail.

Thanks!

Bikepacking suggestion near Boise, ID-picture-484.jpg

26er
    From the middle fork road to trinity campground will be an interesting experience with the big fire that went through the area last year. Roaring River trail is a challenging uphill without extra gear so hopefully you are in good shape. There might be a ton of trees down from the fire so bear that in mind.

What is your ability level? How much gear are you bringing? Hungarian ridge is certainly a very challenging trail.

You would be better off not crossing the middle fork and going into the burned area.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    I cant tell from your map what route you are taking out of boise, but check out
    the local trail map:
    ridgetorivers.org
    I just did an overnight bike pack up to the ridge road that runs above boise. We went up hardguy single track but packs were light as it was just for 1 night. "Sunset peak road" is a dirt road to the ridge as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
    From the middle fork road to trinity campground will be an interesting experience with the big fire that went through the area last year. Roaring River trail is a challenging uphill without extra gear so hopefully you are in good shape. There might be a ton of trees down from the fire so bear that in mind.

What is your ability level? How much gear are you bringing? Hungarian ridge is certainly a very challenging trail.

You would be better off not crossing the middle fork and going into the burned area.
    Just called Mountain Home Ranger District at (208) 587-7961 for information: No restoration has been done on Roaring River trail since the fire, and snow is still preventing crews from going in there to clean up winter+fire damage. So, thanks for preventing a disaster of a trip - though I am sad about not being able to ride what looked like an awesome loop.

I will try to hatch another plan. You suggested staying to the west of Middle Fork. Would perhaps Bogus Basin area be in better shape?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeze6700 View Post
    I cant tell from your map what route you are taking out of boise, but check out
    the local trail map:
    ridgetorivers.org
    I just did an overnight bike pack up to the ridge road that runs above boise. We went up hardguy single track but packs were light as it was just for 1 night. "Sunset peak road" is a dirt road to the ridge as well.
    Thanks for the link. Great information! I might look into bikepacking trip to the Bogus Basin area.

26er
    Bogus area will certainly be in good shape by mid-june. I think you could also manage some of the higher elevation trails. Maybe one idea would be to loop up into bogus and then take the ridge road towards lucky peak and Arrowrock then climb cottonwood and then poke around there and either descend on Haga creek or mix up on the ridge trails and rabbit creek and then ride Hungarian ridge back towards the middle fork. Then back out on the middle fork road back towards Boise.

Check out this page for some good info:
    http://trails.idaho.gov/
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

jalepenio jimenez
    you might consider Deadwood reservoir and Bear valley. not much snow below 7000 feet this winter. forest service may even have the road into Bear Valley from Stanley plowed by then. if you can get to Deadwood, probably also get to Yellowpine and maybe McCall.

as Smilycook says, great resource : Idaho Parks & Recreation, Boise National Forest - Maps & Publications
    Last edited by mudflap; 05-15-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks, some good ideas - stitching something together as I find time. Do you know if trails like Cottonwood trail and Bunne Rabbit are free & clear and not rutted to badly from motorcycle use?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    you might consider Deadwood reservoir and Bear valley. not much snow below 7000 feet this winter. forest service may even have the road into Bear Valley from Stanley plowed by then. if you can get to Deadwood, probably also get to Yellowpine and maybe McCall.

as Smilycook says, great resource : Idaho Parks & Recreation, Boise National Forest - Maps & Publications
    Hadn't seen the downloadable US Forest service maps, yet. Thanks!

No snow below 7000 ft. ?! Excellent!

mtbr member
    This month in Bike Mag describes a variation of this:hard loop in the white clouds: looped castle peak.

Boulder White Clouds Loop. I have seen bike campers do variations of these rides hauling camping gear with Bob Trailers.

We traditionaly car camp and do big loops...

jalepenio jimenez
    another good resource is

Hillmap - Backcountry Maps for the Obsessed

it's interactive between sender and recipient if the URL is e-mailed
    and pretty handy for planning rides.

-Cottonwood creek trail is questionable. to get to Thorn creek butte, better to ride up the road to the summit, then east on the ridge road. the ridge is one of the better road rides. 2700 feet in 7~8 miles

-some great and extensive moto trails in the Idaho City area, but tough finding maps or knowledgeable people. two good trials off Thorn cb north to Idaho city.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    This month in Bike Mag describes a variation of this:hard loop in the white clouds: looped castle peak.

Boulder White Clouds Loop. I have seen bike campers do variations of these rides hauling camping gear with Bob Trailers.

We traditionaly car camp and do big loops...
    Nice video - and great trail system in that area! But, I am afraid my flat-lander lung would be a bit taxed at 9000' !

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    another good resource is

Hillmap - Backcountry Maps for the Obsessed

it's interactive between sender and recipient if the URL is e-mailed
    and pretty handy for planning rides.

-Cottonwood creek trail is questionable. to get to Thorn creek butte, better to ride up the road to the summit, then east on the ridge road. the ridge is one of the better road rides. 2700 feet in 7~8 miles

-some great and extensive moto trails in the Idaho City area, but tough finding maps or knowledgeable people. two good trials off Thorn cb north to Idaho city.
    Great mapping website! I am tinkering with trails in the area - Bald Mt. Rd. must have fantastic views.

26er
    Plus I don't think the whiteclouds will be clear when you show up in mid June.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just to close this thread: I ended up riding for only 2 days, but saw a lot of beautiful country. Next time, I'll know not to ride (drag myself) up Hoodoo and Rabbit Creek! Thanks for your help!
    Pictures of the ride are at
    Bikepacking in Idaho | 2wheeltrails

26er
    Glad you had a good time.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    When you say you went down, do you mean down Hungarian Ridge? Hope so as that trail is a great traill. Much better shape that what you rode (hike) up to the lookout

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No, I rode down the dirt road to Highway 21! Are you saying I missed the best part?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    no way. but it is a great trail. Hungarian down to Barber Flats, then out to Edna CrK. on 21. would be a long road ride back to IC. or hitch a ride. I would rather ride what you did on my dirt bike than a mtb bike. Hoodoo & Rabbit are gnarly as you now well know! good work!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Next time I'll make a smarter decision and ride up the dirt road