mtbr member

Big Boulder/Little Boulder loop (Whiteclouds content)

I did a short write up about this loop. This is an all around great ride and I think it is important that mountain bikers know about all the great rides in the Whiteclouds. We can't lose this area to wilderness designation, get out there and ride it, be respectful, and make sure to sign in at the trail heads to let the forest service know we're out there using it, which means we're spending money in the nearby communities.

IMGP5373 by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

IMGP5415 by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

Willow Lake by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

Queen and the Castle by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

Surreal POV by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

More here; nweye.tumblr.com ? Big Boulder/Little Boulder Creek loop.

jalepenio jimenez
    a large portion of the riding in the Stanley area is in the Whiteclouds. considering the elevations and scale of the Whitecloud mountains themselves, I'd say most all the alpine riding in Stanley is in them.
    that's what makes them so worthy of a fight. we should all be writing letters to our legislators and usfs to maintain their current status.
    where did you do a writeup on them?
    -found it. nice write up.-
    Last edited by mudflap; 07-24-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

Look out!
    Great pictures. My wife and I have done the ride from the mine to the top where you look out on Frog Lake a couple of times. We have never gone over the "edge". Could you post some more pictures of the descent from Frog Lake? I am curious as to the condition of the trail. I have heard it is very technical, which is fine for me but not so much for my bride. Great write up, thanks in advance.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Awesome ride and sweet pics. Counterclockwise is the way to go in my opinion, especially if you can shuttle the road. Overall, it didn't seem that technical to me. Not as chunky as say the Redfish Lake loop.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Don't worry, be happy!

Big Boulder/Little Boulder loop (Whiteclouds content)

Nice to know that mere mortals can do these rides. :-)

mtbr member
    Beautiful. I was there a few weeks back and attempted the trail coming up Big Boulder. A rainstorm had come through the evening before, which I thought would tack up the trails. Nope. heavy clay mud, the kind so gloopy you can't even PUSH the bike, the wheels completely jam up.

I'll have to try my luck again sometime.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member

Little Boulder Vid

mtnbkrid here is a video of some dude on a MX riding Little Boulder Creek Trail up and back. It gives a good idea of that section of trail. He seems to have cut out the rocky section on the way up, but you can see it on his down trip.

I don't recall anything terribly technical on the stretch from the Big/Little divide past Frog to the Little Boulder Trail. There is a rocky section on the lower portion of Little Boulder, but there are plenty of lines through. Tell your wife (or have someone else tell her for the sake of marital stability) that she is "skill-building".

If she can handle the rocky section on the Livingston Mill Trail above the junction w/ Big Boulder Trail, she can handle Little Boulder too.
    Last edited by chukt; 07-24-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid View Post
    Great pictures. My wife and I have done the ride from the mine to the top where you look out on Frog Lake a couple of times. We have never gone over the "edge". Could you post some more pictures of the descent from Frog Lake? I am curious as to the condition of the trail. I have heard it is very technical, which is fine for me but not so much for my bride. Great write up, thanks in advance.
    Hey, sorry for the delay. I really didn't find it to be all that technical, but peoples opinions can very greatly on this subject. I don't really have any trail shots of the descent that give you the whole picture, but the shots of the desert single track are from the home stretch. It's really just a bit loose and rocky in areas. Some pretty minor exposure off the pass and a few small ledge "drops" here and there (less than 1') but it's really quite a nice trail for a backcountry ride. Pretty much no hike a bike, which is amazing to me, because most of these types of rides involve that closer to my neck of the woods. I 100% agree about doing it counter clockwise and it's an A+ ride in my book from climb to descent.

mtbr member
    Just did the counter clockwise loop with an overnight at Shelf lake. Great ride. The ascent to the ridge above frog lake was 99% wide smooth single track with bridges on every creek crossing. The 2 mile descent to frog lake had some sections of small loose rock. The 1.3 miles from willow lake to little boulder creek trail had multiple sections of small loose rock (mostly from horses). The remainder was narrow but mostly smooth trail. I agree, amazingly rideable terrain in the middle of nowhere. Big Boulder/Little Boulder loop (Whiteclouds content)-img_2144.jpgBig Boulder/Little Boulder loop (Whiteclouds content)-img_2191.jpgBig Boulder/Little Boulder loop (Whiteclouds content)-img_2166.jpgBig Boulder/Little Boulder loop (Whiteclouds content)-img_2195.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I rode it clockwise a few years ago and I've been dreaming of getting back to do it counter clockwise since. Going down was good but I was dismayed at how short the singletrack section of the descent turn out to be. I will be back.

mtbr member

Frog Lake/Lil Boulder Vid

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid View Post
    Could you post some more pictures of the descent from Frog Lake? I am curious as to the condition of the trail. I have heard it is very technical, which is fine for me but not so much for my bride.
    Here is a video of the descent on the Frog Lake and Little Boulder Creek sections.

The rider is Max, owner of theHUB of Salmon and filmed by Kirk, the Ibis Demo van driver/rep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukt View Post
    Here is a video of the descent[/URL] on the Frog Lake and Little Boulder Creek sections.

The rider is Max, owner of theHUB of Salmon and filmed by Kirk, the Ibis Demo van driver/rep.
    Awesome! And a Happy Ending to boot! Too funny.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.